Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leethomson

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 August, 2022, 12:32:56 PM
Hmm. Now wondering about Spink & Thackray again
Crikey, those binding prices have seen some inflation since Hollingworth & Moss were doing it!

cropsy13

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 August, 2022, 12:32:56 PM
The nature of the beast, I guess. We had the same with the Dredd collection and Lawless. But it is a pity that Kingdom at least wasn't taken through to the current final strip. I've since bought the relevant trade. Did the same with Lawless, which was even more frustrating, since the Dredd collection contains the first 1.5 books, and I'm not keen on double dipping.

Hmm. Now wondering about Spink & Thackray again, and if they can 'match up' to the UC sizes...

I didn't get the Dredd collection so I'm getting Lawless through the normal trades.

The rest of Kingdom I'll get in due time.

Dark Jimbo

Well as surmised, Ro-Busters II contains Terra-Meks (with the colour spread in colour) and Rise and Fall... as the meat of the book. Beyond that you get 7 Annual stories, at least one of which I've never seen reprinted before, plus The Inside Story from prog 144. So a fairly comprehensive collection - just a shame that the two 'origin' stories ended up in an ABCs book.
@jamesfeistdraws

Max Headroom

Dark Jimbo- Could you say which annual story it features that has not been reprinted before? Did this particular story not make it into 'Ro-Busters: Complete Nuts and Bolts' volume 1 or 2?
Thank you.

Tomwe

I'm so ready for this collection to be over now. It's been a while since a new book immediately jumped to the bedside table (reading Brink 2 slowly). With the Batman collection biting the dust this will be my last Partwork for sure. Five more deliveries is it?

sintec

Quote from: Tomwe on 31 August, 2022, 10:19:53 AM
Five more deliveries is it?

I make it six. The next two being:

• Ro-busters2 + Devlin Waugh
  • Blunt + ABC Warriors: Return to Robusters

That takes us up to issue 132 so another 8 issues after that.

Jade Falcon

It does seem that the extension has been grasping at straws.  I don't want to end it this far in, but the later books have been very hit and miss.  I've got five or six still in their plastic waiting to be read while I'm rereading some of the Dredd collection.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

If only we'd got that Armoured Gideon book, it all could have been so different!

The Monarch

devlin waugh frustatingly for me only goes up a question of trust

IndigoPrime

So it misses out The Reckoning? Argh. Might skip that one, then. I don't really care about the Rory McConville stuff – I'd have really liked a Kot volume. But the natural end point is surely the series that ran last year? Bah.

Edit: Looks like it's the Blood Debt trade, then, plus 422/423/430 single-parters. I assume the next Rebellion trade will include those, Question of Trust, Lord of Lies and The Reckoning. Would have preferred HC. Alas.

Jade Falcon

Saying that, I have had a bit of a malaise recently, I've got at least five books to read, but at the same time I started a Peter May crime novel which I haven't managed to get far into.  He's a damned good writer and very compelling but I can't seem to get into it well.

The first extension was good, and when some books were duplicates of what I had, I had a friend to send my duplicates.  For instance the first two Savage books after Invasion, they are hard to get hold of in paperback and my friend had Invasion, so he got them.  The first extension was fairly strong, and while opinions are subjective, I wonder why some stuff got picked as "best as".  Im no Slaine fan, but it has a strong following, so no argument there, but Mercy Heights?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

It's an odd one. You could easily cut 15 books from the Dredd collection and lose nothing. There was a lot of fat in those first 80 volumes. But the extension was much more essential: I recall Wogue Wobots and Dead End weren't great, but they were still readable.

The UC began more like an essentials rather than casting the net wide. Although objective quality was variable, it's hard to know what you'd cut, if you're going for completism with key stories. I might not care for Invasion, but it's hard to begrudge its inclusion, nor pretty much anything else in that set of books.

With the first extension, I mostly felt the same. Greysuit can get in the sea, and Mercy Heights isn't much cop. But it's still pretty cracking up to 111. With the second extension, it feels like the wheels came off a bit, notably with the forgettable Samantha Slide and Mean Arena – so bad it killed the Extreme Edition. That said, I suspect if I didn't already own Brass Sun, Ro-Busters and Deadworld in HC, I might have stuck it out.

I do wish a few of the weaker strips could have been replaced with something better, mind. Still, I'm glad we've got what we've got. And even though I'm very much cherry picking now, I'm happy with my HC Cradlegrave and Revere volumes – and a little sad it seems like they're the last I'll be buying. It's been a good run.

sintec

You not getting Leviathan or the SinDex vols Indigo?

For me the SinDex books have been the pick of this 2nd extension. The Mean arena, Sam Slade and the Ro-busters books I could have lived without (the latter cos I picked up the complete nuts and bolts a while back when they said they wouldn't be including the Starlord strips, the former because they were a bit rubbish). Oh and that Ennis Stront book that was another waste of shelf space (although I guess I can at least see why it got included)

IndigoPrime

I also grabbed the HC Ro-Busters after the "no Starlord" claim, but I'm OK with that. And, no, I won't be buying Sun/Dex. Not a fan.

Not sure about Leviathan. I have two versions of it already. Maybe if it includes everything and has great repro, I'll buy it to rationalise my shelves very slightly. (I was planning on buying Devlin, but not now it lacks that latest strip.)

sintec

Fair enough. If you don't like Sin/Dex then that definitely diminishes the value in this 2nd extension.

It's definitely disappointing that the Devlin book will leave us half way through that storyline. Likely leaving us in a similar place to the Lawless book in the MC where the Rebellion trades won't line up nicely and you end up duplicating quite a chunk of content to get the rest of the run. It's a very odd decision. By my reckoning there was space for the whole Kot run alongside the McConville stories (admittedly making this one of the larger books but no bigger than The Order or The Small House). Instead we're getting a volume that's going to end mid run and be on the slimmer end of the scale for the UC.