Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

p.s. congrats on Garth Ennis recognising you by voice alone!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 20 June, 2022, 02:49:08 PM
It was pretty cool!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 20 June, 2022, 07:46:27 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 20 June, 2022, 02:49:08 PM
It was pretty cool!

It certainly was. Great that he listens - hopefully regularly.

Leigh S

Nipped into Gosh myself that day, as I was taking my daughter to see Billie Eilish - shame I missed you!

Another great episode, though Fox is a wild card with his love of Mean Arena! 

I think the Aggro Drug one is the worst Dredd story ever - as Conrad says, like someone with only a vague idea of what the character is about.  The idea any editor would allow that to be publisher, or any other of the similar story beats, as seen in Inferno is still a bit sickening and I'm surprised you are not that fussed about it to be honest!

It really was a woeful time for the prog having Millar Morrison on Dredd - even though other stories might not be so bad and there might be less Fleischer, having the Dredd so thoroughly rotten and misconcevied - worse, actively conceived that way due to the loudly voiced low opinion Morrison and Millar had for the strip and its creators.... I thnk I only kept reading as I had recently started going out with my wife to be, so I was slightly more chilled and the prog had taken a back seat!

WhizzBang

I was sad to see Sam Slade as bottom thrill for both Conrad and Fox since it was my second top thrill for this weeks batch of progs. Robo Hunter is what got me into 2000AD initially so I was pretty happy to see it return to the spirit of the Ian Gibson era.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: WhizzBang on 21 June, 2022, 01:08:40 PM
I was sad to see Sam Slade as bottom thrill for both Conrad and Fox since it was my second top thrill for this weeks batch of progs. Robo Hunter is what got me into 2000AD initially so I was pretty happy to see it return to the spirit of the Ian Gibson era.

I'd agree with this as Hogan / Hughes era of Robo-hunter is something I really enjoyed and not just in relation to what had gone before.

And new Mean Arena - YIKE!

Mind this is why I love the podcast. Fresh views and perspectives are what we all need and so much fun.

AlexF

For even more bizarre opinions, Eli over on Big Meg One busts out some delightfully off-beat choices for top and bottom stories, I think Conrad had to talk him out of Soul Sisters as 'top' once.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: AlexF on 22 June, 2022, 10:00:04 AM
For even more bizarre opinions, Eli over on Big Meg One busts out some delightfully off-beat choices for top and bottom stories, I think Conrad had to talk him out of Soul Sisters as 'top' once.

Eli's massive positivity and lack of received wisdom about 2000AD stuff means he often has some EXTREMELY hot takes about top and bottom thrills, and that's why he's so great on the show!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

JayzusB.Christ

I was a bit late to the party with this podcast, but Grud help me, I love it.   Generally I agree with most of what Conrad says and disagree with most of what Fox says, but that's what keeps things interested, I suppose.  Also find myself practically screaming into my headphones about some of the references you guys have missed but that's part of the fun too!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 June, 2022, 10:50:39 AM
I was a bit late to the party with this podcast, but Grud help me, I love it.   Generally I agree with most of what Conrad says and disagree with most of what Fox says, but that's what keeps things interested, I suppose.  Also find myself practically screaming into my headphones about some of the references you guys have missed but that's part of the fun too!
I'm trying my best! There's lots of ground to cover and lots of knowledge I don't have!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and eighty-first episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 8452-855 of 2000AD, covering October 1993. This episode it's time to travel, as Dredd goes to Egypt, Mean Arena arrives to the fighitng pit, Strontium Dogs fly to the evil planet Lyra, Slaine heads to Colchester, and Tyranny Rex returns to her old self, the warps to earth!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

WhizzBang

Thanks Conrad, most informative about baths.

So, other formumites, are we over the worst of the 90's once 1993 is over? Things do seem to be getting better now but I think the next Button Man plus Nikolai Dante and Sinister Dexter are still a long way off, and so is The Pit.

The Monarch

next time

the canon is in....

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 27 June, 2022, 04:02:55 PM
Thanks Conrad, most informative about baths.

So, other formumites, are we over the worst of the 90's once 1993 is over? Things do seem to be getting better now but I think the next Button Man plus Nikolai Dante and Sinister Dexter are still a long way off, and so is The Pit.
I really hope my impatience with Fox for going down every side avenue comes through on this one :D

Button Man 2 is in '94, but so is Babe Race 2000 and two more Big Dave installments. We're not through the woods by a long shot! I'm sort of pegging 1996 as the upswing, that's when we get The Pit and the start of Sin Dex.

Leigh S

As I said previously, this, despite the cessation of Fleischer, feels ore "lost" as a period than ever.  Ennis Dredd might not be great, but it isnt actively hateful.  reckon there are double digit episodes to go before we can see any sign of any improvement - possibly nothing/very little til the mid 95 relaunch? Which means close to 20!