Main Menu

Twenty Years of Mightiness!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 08 January, 2022, 09:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

As Matt Smith noted on Facebook, yesterday marked the twentieth anniversary of his ascension to The Right Hand of Tharg.

I hope you'll join me in munching a plastic cup in celebration of this milestone, and of the many thrills, classic and new, we've enjoyed under his stewardship.

It's amazing to me that I'm still excited to read a new prog after 43 years of readership (and it still feels slightly unreal to see my name in a credit box every prog).
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

That is quite amazing congrats Matt.

Yes, I am in the same boat still enjoy reading the prog every Wednesday morning (a new tradition now that prog is also digital)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Did not know that. At some convention or other I asked Matt to sign the issue which by my calculations (very possibly incorrect by the way) marked him as the longesgt serving of Tharg's little helpers. that was Prog 1827 - he kindly did as Tharg - I hope Green bounce does find out he was copying his signature!

Anyway here we are over 400 Progs after that even and as other have noted I'm still loving the Prog week in week out. Very nearly getting to the end of a complete re-read - reading last years Progs now - gulp, sniff - and I can genuinely say Matt Smith reign has seen the most consistently excellent stories of any period of the title and to have achieved that over such a long time is just astonishing.

Others may scoff and call this out as us being snivelling loyalists, but let them. I do it cos I think the comic is genuinely as good as it ever been and that makes me happy. So thank you Matt Smith

Trooper McFad

That's some going in the comics business.

For someone who's been a fan since 1980 In my opinion it's been the most consistently high output of characters and storylines and would (controversially fighting my inner voice) say this is my favourite era in tooth history.

We are truly blessed to have Matt as the current Tharg.

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

The Legendary Shark

Yes, congratulations and - above all - Thank You to Matt Smith.

I propose a new award for this dynamo of a man - the Krill Tro Squaxxo!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richmond Clements

Impressive indeed!
Here's to the next twenty!

DrJomster

Raises a glass to a brilliant Tharg! Loving your work, Sir!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Blue Cactus

Wow, congratulations Matt. Thanks for all your incredible work!

pauljholden

It's quite the achievement, so well done boss!

paddykafka

Thanks for doing great work, Matt and here's to the next twenty years +.

Richard

Karl Stock should interview him.

Proudhuff

Well done sir! a firm hand on the tiller!... should be an ample reward  :)
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 January, 2022, 09:25:52 AM
I do it cos I think the comic is genuinely as good as it ever been and that makes me happy.

Quite so! I think the key thing the "2000AD's not as good as it was when I was twelve" crowd miss is the part where they're not twelve any more. It's exactly the same way that you'll never love any band in your forties the way you loved bands in your teens. Doesn't mean you can't/don't/won't love a comic, band, film, as you get older — it's just different. You're different.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

I do not care what my 12 year old self would think of the prog today, I love to prog as much as I loved it in the 80s. I personally believe that we are in a very strong period.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

People change. The world changes too. One of the interesting things about going through the UC is that I liked certain strips less than I thought I would (including, surprisingly, some classic Strontium Dog), found some strips borderline unreadable (sorry, Rabo-Hunter fans), but broadly enjoyed the more recent fare, often beyond what I was expecting (including 'reboot' Stront).

From a purely objective standpoint, however, it's hard to argue against Smith's tenure. That 2000 AD still exists at all is quite something, given the market. But that he's managed to keep things fresh and interesting across two decades as Tharg (and also taking on the Meg at the same time) is a great indication of his abilities.