Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Corps vs. Freaks (inc Faces) Round 2 Heat 50

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 February, 2022, 06:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Dear diary as we enter Week 7 of Round 2 I worry that folks will need reminding that Dredd isn't included in the draw. He's not in the tourney at all as he'd simply dominate and there would be no potential for a surprise result. So right from the off he was excluded and folks who discussed it seemed to be cool with that... but do people know this? Week 7 reminds me of this as it has one of the favourites to win the whole thing in it...

Less controversial inclusion here as Faces does feel exactly like a direct continuation. As we hit the ½ century in Round 2 the main question we all face is how can a war story by Garth Ennis, Colin MacNeil and Paul arshal possibly go wrong? I mean it can't surely and this must be one of the finest strips in 2000ad's long history... right... right...

Corps - more info

Vs

Freaks - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 3rd March  and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Magnetica

Link Prime

I actually didn't mind The CORPS as much as some of ye - 'Vintage' Marshall (+ 'Support' MacNeil) artwork, enjoyable violence and some great Klegg design. It didn't outstay it's welcome at only 6 parts.

Freaks has to take this one though.

IndigoPrime

AlexF

No contest! Corps is young Ennis at his most young-Ennisy, and just hacing a character called Tarantino who likes shooty viilence a lot is never going to help the strip feel like a timeless classic.

Freaks however DOES have timeless classic qualities, even if Faces has a little too much bawdy comedy for my tastes. That said, it's refreshing to have some slice-of-life science fiction in among all the fighting.

Freaks/Faces

Colin YNWA

So the last question here is can Freaks get a rare shut out? Only a day of voting to go and so far it has a 100% record. Will the final day change that? I'll tell you tomorrow.

broodblik

I want to change my vote to all lowercase freaks rather than Freaks
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well we know that Garth Ennis went on tot write better war stories that The Corps and Freaks has a really strong creative line-up in Milligan and Higgins so there should probably be little surprise that this one was a rare shout out and 100% of votes went to

Freaks

and we'll see how it does in Round 3.