Main Menu

THEM! To Get Remake.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 05 January, 2023, 10:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

Classic fifties giant ants in your pants movie THEM! Is getting a possible remake. Blurb here.

https://www.cbr.com/them-giant-ants-remake-michael-giacchino-warner-bros/
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

nxylas

Composer-turned-director is an unusual arc, can't think of any others. John Carpenter was already directing movies before he started composing.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Tiplodocus

About time! Genuinely shat me up as a youngster!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Colin YNWA

Would be great if this happened... maybe they could call it Ant Wars and set it in South and Central America!

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 05 January, 2023, 01:03:32 PM
Would be great if this happened... maybe they could call it Ant Wars and set it in South and Central America!

And possibly a sequel set hundreds of years in the future and call it Kingdom!!!!!
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

paddykafka

I seem to recall reading somewhere, that scientifically speaking, the giant ants in Them would not actually be able to breathe properly due to their large size. If that is true, then will the critters in this remake be going around with Oxygen tanks strapped to their backs?  :-\

Jim_Campbell

(Braces for inevitable Daily Mail rant about "pronouns" and "out of control wokeness ruining everything".)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: paddykafka on 05 January, 2023, 01:35:16 PM
I seem to recall reading somewhere, that scientifically speaking, the giant ants in Them would not actually be able to breathe properly due to their large size. If that is true, then will the critters in this remake be going around with Oxygen tanks strapped to their backs?  :-\

No - because their exoskeletons wouldn't be strong enough to support their own weight, let alone allow them to move. Damn that pesky science, ruining all those great ideas!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 05 January, 2023, 03:42:36 PM

No - because their exoskeletons wouldn't be strong enough to support their own weight, let alone allow them to move. Damn that pesky science, ruining all those great ideas!

So, Giant Ant-sized Zimmer Frames are not a viable solution, then? Ah well...so long as neither the director, writers and producers get wind of this particular thread, the reboot will probably still go ahead as planned.  :)

The Legendary Shark

Well, I guess all it needs is a bit of MCUesque space magic. Anything's possible with space magic...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

M.I.K.

No, no, no... There's no need for mystical nonsense when old fashioned pseudo-science will do.

The same atomic testing which caused them to grow to extraordinary size has also mutated them in other ways, ways which have caused them to grow a secondary external skeleton and fundamentally alter their circulatory and respiratory systems at a genetic level, until they are no longer mere base insects, but something more, something unnatural, something which goes against all that modern science knows about the humble ant...

...THEM!

Dun-dun-duuuun and such.

nxylas

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 05 January, 2023, 06:15:46 PM

Well, I guess all it needs is a bit of MCUesque space magic. Anything's possible with space magic...
Maybe they could have Iron Man-type suits.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Colin YNWA

Giant ants are able to function on the power of being f**kin' cool and that alone!

As I recall its both the exoskeleton and their respiritory system (tubes that would need to be too big to function... oh I can't remember) but that is over come by their sheer coolness as I said...

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: M.I.K. on 05 January, 2023, 06:50:07 PM
No, no, no... There's no need for mystical nonsense when old fashioned pseudo-science will do.

The same atomic testing which caused them to grow to extraordinary size has also mutated them in other ways, ways which have caused them to grow a secondary external skeleton and fundamentally alter their circulatory and respiratory systems at a genetic level, until they are no longer mere base insects, but something more, something unnatural, something which goes against all that modern science knows about the humble ant...

...THEM!

Dun-dun-duuuun and such.

You're hired!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 05 January, 2023, 08:41:44 PM
As I recall its both the exoskeleton and their respiritory system (tubes that would need to be too big to function... oh I can't remember) but that is over come by their sheer coolness as I said...

Spiracles! Chitinous insects breathe through spiracles.* There's a functional limit to how big an insect can be and oxygenate its body that way — if you need spiracles the size of manholes then, obviously, there are distinct disadvantages to having numerous permanently open holes in your otherwise-quite-resilient exoskeleton, for a start.

*Fuck me... I have no idea where my brain dredged that factoid up from!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.