Main Menu

Matal Hurlant # 1

Started by wrighty47, 08 August, 2002, 03:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrighty47

Any of try this out this month. Almost a sister title to 'Tooth. Features some excellent sci-fi stuff from Jodorowsky (Metabarons/Incal) and a really good Werewolf story from Kurt Busiek, which I personally think to be the best thing he's dones in ages.
Y'know I'd like to see some of the Humanoids/Metal Hurlant stuff in the beyong 2000AD slot in the meg. The adult sci-fi stories and painted artwork would fit luvverly alongside the 'Tooth stuff.

Alan!

wrighty47

Erm, of course it should be called METAL HURLANT. I knew I should have gone to school ocassionally.

Al;an!

stodge

i've been thinking of reading some of the humanoids stuff myself so i would definitely like to see it in the meg first just to help me make up my mind..

Marbles

Yeh I picked it up - excellent mag - that last ongoing story is SO weird. But the art is just beautiful - I forget the artists name (Beltain?) but whoever he is he needs to draw for 2K !
You deffo got my vote for some reprints of this French stuff in the Meg. No wonder Pat Mills is doing his work over there now.
Mind u I did buy the first few issues of 'The Metabarons' and despite great art I stopped getting it because the story was so absurd and the dialogue unbelieveably cheesy. Didn't try 'The Incal' - did anyone pick that up ??
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Wood

I loved the Metabarons and the Incal - but they're an acquired taste. FWIW, The Metabarons is Jodo's attempt at 'Mythic'. It gets much better - and weirder - as it goes on. The last issue featured a pregnant bald preoperative transexual taking an infinitely replicating amazon assassin. Mad and brilliant... but not for everyone.

Jodorowsky worked with Fred Beltran on the Technopriests - so if you liked Megalex, you'd like that.

I'm a big Humanoids fan, meself. The best things are The Nikopol Trilogy and the Dormant Beast, both by Bilal - the latter is an especially good buy, not just because it's brilliant, but because it's fairly cheap for one of their GNs, because it's not in hardcover. I'd love to see The Dormant Beast in the Meg. Or something like it.

Mangamax

Got Pat Mills' REQUEIM which is set on a vampire world and features some great art and fantastic designs (flying vampire pirate ships anyone?). I take it there's no plans to print it over here?
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Marbles

How did you get hold of REQUIEM - was it in English ? Any good ? I'd be tempted to give it a go if it is reasonably priced tho' I heard a rumour it may come out it in Heavy Metal at some point.

wrighty47

Requiem is available from Amazon.fr but I think it is in French. If you get volumes 1 & 2, they do an offer making them 23euro plus p+p. Looks very good, might order them. I don't read French either, but you can easily translate the text using the internet, depends how dedicated (read sad) you are.

Alan!

Marbles

Hmm. Don't think I'd go that far ! As i say ( and this came from Mills himself) there is a *possibility* of a translation soonish in Heavy Metal, so I'll hang on for that ?

Or even better a 'Beyond 2k' slot in the Meg ???

Marbles

In case anyone's interested there are some v. nice French comics Wallpaper here :-

http://www.1001bd.com/pt/fond_ecran.php

see p8 for a cool 'V for Vendetta' (ok not french i know, but a good one all the same)
see p 18 for lots of 'Metabarons'
see p21 for 'Requiem' (art does look good!)

oh and thanks for the tips Wood.

wrighty47

Is that in the U.S. T&A Heavy Metal quarterly mag, or in the U.S. bi-monthly Metal Hurlant comic?

Alan!

Marbles

US T&A I think - this is the quote from the Millster himself :-

"No English version available on Requiem - but should be in about nine months time when probably Heavy Metal will do it."

wrighty47

Hmmm, might wait for that then, although those huge HC albums are gorgeous. Ooh, decisions decisions. If anyone gets any further info, can they let everyone know.

Alan!

Mangamax

Got the Requiem when in France and, yeah they're not in English.
Even if it's printed in Heavy Metal later in the year, i'd still go for these guys - BIG hardbacks, lovely paper and they work out at about 7 quid a go.
Worth a look-see wherever you get it from - the art work is pretty darn good (kind of reminds me of some of the Games Workshop comic material but with T&A).
Besides, it starts with a guy coming across Vampires in the latter stage of WW2 ("Fiends" revisited?)
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Wood

Most european comics seem to have a higher level of T'n'A than UK or US ones - they're not so bothered about it. Interesting that for the Humanoids English versions of the Metabarons and the Incal they got the artists to paint clothes on the women, for the sake of American sensibilities.