Main Menu

Outlaw vs. Top Dog - Bolt-01 Cup - Quarter Final 1

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 October, 2021, 06:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

No messing about anymore, we're straight at it now. No holds barred, no faffing around with tables and groups, or over complex piffle under the guise of qualifying play-offs. No, we're down to the simple purity of a one against one, single match - TO THE DEATH... well I didn't say we'd got rid of melodrama! Two go in, you vote, the one with the most votes gets a place in the semis, simple as that.

All you need to worry about which is your favourite between:

Outlaw - more info

Vs

Top Dog - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite of these two stories at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 7th October and the winner gets a place in the semis.

... there's a spreadsheet to make following easier... if you fancy. If not, don't worry just VOTE!!!!

I've tried to explain the finals here.

What on Earth is ALL of this?

Why on Tharg's Earth head are we doing this?

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

Oh and my 'More info' links... well I don't say how much more and they get pretty wonky at times!

AlexF

I cannot imagine any other story from an Annual or Special ever reaching a quarter final stage of one of these tourneys. Sure, there are some good stories in them but all-time classics? SO rare.

Anyway, I'm voting Top Dog this time  :P

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Barrington Boots

Looking at the last eight and there's some tough choices to be made.

I like Top Dog, it's a really fun story, beautifully painted, Alpha and Wulf are a great contrast to Dredd, but ultimately it's a bit throwaway when compared to Outlaw. That's one of the tales that cemented my love for Stront - it's got the Stix brothers before we got a bit over-Stixed, dozens of brilliant mutants including the legendary (in my and my brothers households) Smelly Quinn, the end of the Torso and Harvey, crap potato jokes, and my forum name comes from it. Come on Outlaw!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

For a lot of us who were too young to get prog one when it came out (or possess money, or read, etc) I suspect that Outlaw was our introduction to just about everything Stront except for Wulf and Johnny themselves.

So Outlaw (as much as I also like Top Dog).

Leigh S

Yeah, as a child whose first full stront tale was Portrait, Outlaw is a culmination of all the World building the Strip had committed during the Wagner/Grant period (prog 178 onwards) - prior to that, the strip felt, while fully formed, somewhat nebulous if you wanted to pin down any specifics. 

So Outlaw

Rogue Judge

Already some great reasons as to why Outlaw is my vote in this round.

Top Dog is the perfect cross over, but Outlaw has everything and the kitchen sink going for it.

Buttonman

Top Dog is top annual fodder but it can't shine a light on the lovely Outlaw.

Colin YNWA

This one closes in the morning and I'll count up then so get ya votes in as soon as possible so it can be counted.

For me, well this one isn't close. I think I've gone on quite long enough about my thoughts on Outlaw. Top Dog however is such a treat, so well constructed and exquisitely executed there is little doubt that this one goes to

Top Dog

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

I realised I shouldn't have voted as we're in straight votes now and I need to hang back in case there's a tie... here though with the big, big love for Outlaw it wasn't even close to being an issue. Tog Dog gets much praise but seems to be viewed, over all, as a brilliant treat and distraction where as fior so many

Outlaw

Is proper Strontium Dog at its best and as such gets an comfortable win here and a place in the semis.