Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

About 60 people in my 8pm screening tonight, the busiest of my 3 trips. Hopefully that word of mouth is taking hold, there were a lot of couples and I got the impression these weren't fans but just folks wanting to see a decent movie. A lot of buzz and excited chatter about it as soon as the credits rolled too.

JOE SOAP

It's raining outside, people need Dredd.

Buttonman

£21 of that £1.06m was mine - KTT me now Tharg!

A million quid roughly translates as 100,000 punters - sadly most of them are Commando Forces, but I'm sure the other 40 folk enjoyed it too.

The Sherman Kid

How many people who must have read 2000ad at one time or another, must come to over 200,000 ?>?

hazy efc

DREDD blast`s away the competition with 1.65mil in its 1st weekend in the uk and the 1st 18cert movie in two years to top the charts i might add, lets just hope the buzz gets state side so when its released there are american friends can go see what all the fuss is about and if you happen to be in the states readin this then when this fantastic movie comes out were ever you are why not go and see the film of the year  :thumbsup:

Keef Monkey

My local cineworld have their listings for next week up now, DREDD is still on 5 showings on Saturday and 4 every other day. Not sure how this stuff works but usually I'd take no reduction in screenings as a sign that it's done pretty well for them.

Quite often I decide to wait until week 2 to see something and then find there are hardly any showings because (I assume) it didn't make them money in the first week.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: hazy efc on 11 September, 2012, 03:13:05 AM
DREDD blast`s away the competition with 1.65mil in its 1st weekend in the uk

Worth noting that number is 1.65M US dollars, the GBP take is £1.04M.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Michaelvk

Ah... Well still pretty good considering the circumstances..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Michaelvk on 11 September, 2012, 09:43:50 AM
Ah... Well still pretty good considering the circumstances..

Yes. Quiet week at the cinema, largely due to the fantastic weather, I suspect.

Cheers

Jim

hazy efc

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 September, 2012, 09:15:30 AM
Quote from: hazy efc on 11 September, 2012, 03:13:05 AM
DREDD blast`s away the competition with 1.65mil in its 1st weekend in the uk

Worth noting that number is 1.65M US dollars, the GBP take is £1.04M.

Cheers

Jim
I stand corrected sir but still aint bad

mygrimmbrother

You know, it strikes me that even if it doesn't generate enough profits to justify sequels, we've finally got the Dredd movie we've always dreamed of. That will always be out there now, over time eclipsing the memory/stain of the Stallone outing, and no-one can ever take that away from us. Not saying I don't want sequels, but if it doesn't happen it's not the end of the world I guess. Sequels tend to diminish in quality as they go anyway.

radiator

QuoteSequels tend to diminish in quality as they go anyway.

True but I suspect that Dredd has at least one truly excellent sequel in it. The first film is wonderful, but feels like a glimpse of something bigger and even better.

If there are to be no sequels, then I think it's pretty safe to claim Dredd as an instant cult-classic.

Jim_Campbell

Well, that's me down for a repeat viewing on Saturday afternoon, with a different posse in tow from last time. I'm trying my best!

Cheers

Jim

Bolt-01

I'm off to see it in Leicester tomorrow evening with Mini-Bolt. Really looking forward to it already.

auxlen

second time for me, this time in wimbledon. as i travel a lot my vewing will be across the country so they cant accuse me of rigging things like ban news did with their single. :lol: