Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

I haven't been keeping track of the Rotten figures but I think American reviewers have kncoked it down by around 10%. Currently at 76..

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/

The audience percentage remains pretty much the same though.

chuffsteruk

@ian_sandwell:Dredd has made £3.3m in the UK.

hazy efc

Quote from: Stan on 21 September, 2012, 02:45:25 PM
I haven't been keeping track of the Rotten figures but I think American reviewers have kncoked it down by around 10%. Currently at 76..

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/

The audience percentage remains pretty much the same though.
what are some of these american reviewers whatcin

Michaelvk

Quote from: hazy efc on 21 September, 2012, 03:15:21 PM
what are some of these american reviewers whatcin

Some remake of the raid with this Judge Dread guy..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Danbo

Quote from: chuffsteruk on 21 September, 2012, 03:01:13 PM
@ian_sandwell:Dredd has made £3.3m in the UK.
I wonder if that's above or below UK expectations?
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: DarkDaysBish-OP on 21 September, 2012, 02:40:21 PM
US box office projections for the first weekend seem to be ranging $9-13m [Variety, EW, boxofficeguru, boxofficeprophets, et al.]...

Are those just speculation or are they going on pre-bookings or something? That's pretty low.

JOE SOAP

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

QuickQuag

TheOneRing.net is reporting that The Hobbit's trailer is playing with Dredd 3D in its 3D format

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/09/21/62113-hobbit-trailer-playing-with-dredd-3-d/

(They also give a kind word to Derdd as "well worth the ticket price")

Hopefully that mght add a few numers State-side.
The views above are entirely my own. And there's the problem.

chuffsteruk

Hollywood Reporter say that "early returns suggest that Dredd might finish with $ 7-8 million this weekend"

Fucksticks  :'(

PsychoGoatee

That is too bad to hear, I'd love sequels of course, and it would've been nice if this caught on.

But yeah, this kind of topic I have to say, it's just a bit harsh that fans need to worry about the business end. Art that isn't made with mass appeal, something that is doing something special that speaks to some but not all, won't necessarily be making many millions at the box office.

Once in a while something fringe does catch on and make tons of money, but yeah, art and money, it's a messy relationship. None the less, this is a great movie.

hazy efc

Quote from: chuffsteruk on 22 September, 2012, 10:38:02 AM
Hollywood Reporter say that "early returns suggest that Dredd might finish with $ 7-8 million this weekend"

Fucksticks  :'(
Lets just wait and see expect the worse and the best always happens

Proudhuff

Strangely enough I didn't think the Yanks would 'get' the movie, too grim and downbeat for their chirpie 'everything resolved at the end' world view (sweeping generalality I know), however i think it will be a slow burner and will get the cash back in the long haul as it finds its audience by word of mouth and fan/cult comments.

Based on nothing, I think the French may like it!!
DDT did a job on me

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Proudhuff on 22 September, 2012, 11:29:30 AM
Strangely enough I didn't think the Yanks would 'get' the movie, too grim and downbeat for their chirpie 'everything resolved at the end' world view (sweeping generalality I know), however i think it will be a slow burner and will get the cash back in the long haul as it finds its audience by word of mouth and fan/cult comments.

People are people, period. If you know you're making sweeping generalizations, you know what you're saying is pointless.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 22 September, 2012, 12:06:57 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 22 September, 2012, 11:29:30 AM

Indeed. That's the kind of thing they do in Russia.

People are people, period. If you know you're making sweeping generalizations, you know what you're saying is pointless.