Main Menu

Prog 1425: Earth Warrior

Started by Noisybast, 06 February, 2005, 08:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Nothing to say about Dredd or Slaine. I'll just echo the Hive sentiments.

Second City Blues - didn't add up. The coach: "they're not really werewolves, children - don't be frightened of them." - the Wolves having claw weapons: so why don't their opponents use them too and even things up a bit? And the ref getting mauled by fans - too convenient. How do the Wolves manage to stay in the League?

Low Life - yeah, good. Dirty Frank v. funny.

Dante - a bit rubbish. Not that I'm bothered by the stupid dinosaurs. They look like artist's shorthand for dinosaurs to me, and I'm happy enough with that. I mean, look at the story. Realistic dinosaurs are not going to rescue that in a hurry, are they?
STRIKE !!!

The Amstor Computer

"This is going to be tricky,because not all the public has been updated on new assessments,surrounding mid-paeleolithic and cretatious periods. So I dont think anyone is quite sure how to portray these beasts/eras and rely on strong 70s backlogs."

Nah, I don't buy that. Like I said, the "new model" dinos have seeped through to an extent that anyone who did 10 minutes research could turn up relatively current and accurate models to use as reference - hell, even half an hour with Walking with Dinosaurs would give you a good idea of contemporary models of these creatures. Yes, if they wanted to be cutting-edge they could do what Steve Bissette did an research the hell out of them, contact palaeontologists for advice & request copies of current palaeo papers, but it only takes a tiny bit of effort to get a decent insight into what they *should* look like.

"Not that I'm bothered by the stupid dinosaurs. They look like artist's shorthand for dinosaurs to me, and I'm happy enough with that. I mean, look at the story. Realistic dinosaurs are not going to rescue that in a hurry, are they?"

Heh, fair point. It's really the laziness of the renderings that gets me - it would be just as annoying if they were dogs, pigs or classic cars (though I wouldn't be *quite* so irritated if it wasn't a subject I'm particularly close to!)

SimonC

I read these threads with considerable interest. Not least, it has to be said, because I probably have something of a professional interest in the opinions which are expressed here:-) Some are fair enough (yeah, even the negative ones ), some just make me want to punch the bloody wall...that's just the way it is.

Perhaps it's a bit ironic then, that a comment directed towards another artist, appearing in the same prog as my first episode of Low Life, should actually provoke me to start pounding these keys in response.

I would never have the bloody, f***ing bare-faced temerity to use the word "laziness" in reference to the work of John Burns.

Let me state for the record that I have never met John, never spoken to him, do not know the guy at all. BUT... his published record of beautiful artwork and utterly flawless storytelling, produced consistently over decades, absolutely mitigates against accusations of "laziness".

There are a thousand and one reasons why any commercial artist may have to produce a page, or even an episode, very quickly and potentially without the in-depth research and/or level of polish that the illustrator may genuinely wish to give to his work.

Anything from ill-health, to the difficulties of a family member to...well...anything at all that crops up in 'real life' can mean that the artist has to just knuckle-down and do his best within the time available in order to make the deadline.

This has nothing. NOTHING, to do with "laziness".

The internet is a great way for anyone to offer their opinions but...'with great power comes great responsibility' as *ahem* somebody once said :-) Feel free to criticise, because us droids do actually take this stuff on-board. Perhaps, though, it's best to be a little more considered in one's opinions.

If the pages had "looked a bit rushed", well...fair comment. "Laziness" suggests a lack of care, which is clearly not justified in John's case.

Righto, rant over :-) Wait 'til you see DF in his lacy thong in Low Life part 3*

Cheers all

Simon Coleby

* this may, or may not, be true.

The Amstor Computer

Fair point, Simon, and well made.

I'll look forward to seeing DF with his foot in his mouth in a future Low Life episode... :-)

Will I. Cooling

I'm the only one to have enjoyed the Dinosaurs? I mean Dante is meant to have a pulp feeling so I took the dinos to be a pastiche/homage to 50s/60s movies.

Will
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Steve Green

I do think the dinos are pretty weak looking, more Far Side than Jurassic Park.

Didn't John Burns criticise some aspect of Simon F's art on Dante in a Meg interview?

I'd hope he's big enough to take criticism himself.

- Steve

Devons Daddy

dirty frank wins the best line of the week though.

dirty frank wants to take the long walk.
wonderful one liner.  

low life a brillant addition to the prog.
in fact best new script since cabalistics i would say.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

shazhughes

>low life a brillant addition to the prog.
in fact best new script since cabalistics i would say.

I would have agreed after the first Low Life story, but this new one and Dirty Frank have yet to grow on me.
Thought Low Life would show the dirty underbelly of the city but it seems that now its being played for laughs.

Lord Running Clam

I think one of the good things about Low Life is how it can handle different kinds of stories.

Mr D

Will I. Cooling

I urge those being underwhelmed by Dante to reread all the post TW stories; it really does add to your enjoyment

Will
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Carlsborg Expert.

Somw one mention they were not too impressed with art work.

Wellthat guitar is boss! The rest of the artwork is great too.

Dare I say even better than Cabbs. Go on then.

its a great opener to the story,this LL strip.

One only wonders if the quality will be sustained.