Main Menu

Prog 1534 The Clenched Steel Fists of the Detonators

Started by JOE SOAP, 18 April, 2007, 05:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

With the appearing mutie thing, it's a big deal because it's clearly made a lot of readers go "huh - where did that dude come from?"  Thus disturbing the flow of the story.  On its own, maybe not such a problem, but tied into the Stallone-ism (another jarring thud that picked me and shook me and shouted "you're reading a comic" instead of leaving me alone to enjoy the story) and the over-the-top end of Booth strapped to a small van that can withstand bazooka and tank hits, well, I didn't like it.  Sure and plenty other people did, so.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

Enjoyable prog.

No worries about extra muties and Stallone from this dinosaur.  

DETONATOR X seems like a good start - I actually enjoyed MANIAC 5 and this seems to run along potentially similar lines for now.  One of my favourite rubbish science fiction plots is where people use another planet as a dustbin.  If you can actually expend the energy to get the rubbish into space, surely it's just easier to blast it into a nearby sun than to have to fly down to another planet?

DANTE - I suffer from the "who are these characters?" syndrome as well. It means I don't enjoy Dante as much as I probably should.

SAVAGE was just plain old fantastic.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Misanthrope

And I bet Andy Helfer is chuffed that John Wagner used his version of Chief Judge Fargo's first name.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Leigh S

Though its possible that the name came from the DC bible that I think John wrote?

Funt Solo

::"DANTE - I suffer from the "who are these characters?" syndrome as well."

That made me think - it would be cool to see a who's who of the world of Dante - either as a feature, or as a series of multi-character star scans, or as a giant middle of the prog poster.  Including the dead ones.  Maybe a family tree as one aspect of it?

Sinister Dexter has a similarly massive ensemble cast of characters that are important to the plot, but I've forgotten why or who they are.

Dredd tends to focus on a very small main cast, in comparison.  Mind you - I wouldn't mind seeing this for other tales as well - The Red Seas has quite a large cast, and I still find it difficult to figure out who's who half the time.

(This is all just a sneaky way to say: bring back Star Scans, Thargiplops!)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

GermanAndy

Cover: You have to love it.

Dredd: Nice end for Booth and some great lines. But on the whole I am slightly disappointed with Origins. It was interesting, no doubt, but it couldn´t grab me.

Savage: Truly great art. But some tick keep pulling me out of the story every time. I know Savage is our hero, but come one, those Volgs are more then inept. How often can you escape unharmed?

Det X: No doubt, Edginton is on a roll. Even if I like some tales more then others, this promises to be a lot of fun.

Dante: I prefer Burns over Frasier :-) I know, heretic. But Dante´s character arc is very well written. And I hope Elena will cut the werewolf or whatever the priest is in pieces without Dante coming to the rescue.

Ad for DVD-world: At forst I thought this to be a mock-up. Lol. Do they really make magazines this sleazy any longer? This looks straight out if the 80s. Unbelievable.

Keef Monkey

"I prefer Burns over Frasier :-) I know, heretic."

I actually got the impression I was in the minority for thinking the exact opposite. They should have a poll.

JOE SOAP

I prefer Burns too, it's must be nostalgia for old style paint.

Goaty

Burns is good for Tsars wars, and Fraser is good for stories!

JOE SOAP

I also prefer the way he draws Dante himself, more like a matinee idol.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Amstor Computer

Just wish Burns would go back to the line & wash approach he used to employ, as his current work lacks definition & his brushwork is much missed.

radiator

While Burns has produced some great stuff for the character, some of this latest run has seen some pretty poor work. eg the panel last week when it looks like Dante is wearing make up.