Main Menu

QUALIFYING 1: 2 - KENNETH NEIMAND ALEC WORLEY - ULTIMATE NOT WAGNER TOURNAMENT

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 May, 2020, 06:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well a mordern master (who if rumours are true might be getting two entries - there will be a stewards enquiry) or someone whose been around a surprisingly long time.

Kenneth Neimand - So new they doesn't even have a decent Barney entry so https://shop.2000ad.com/creators/kenneth-niemand

OR

Alec Worley - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=ALECW

Whose 2000ad writing do you prefer? Voting (just add a comment here with whose work you prefer (and anything else you might wish to say to discuss their work) closes sometime Tuesday 12th May?

What the heck is all this about? https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46406.0

Next face off starts tomorrow...

abelardsnazz

Going to have to go with Alec Worley here as I'm much more familiar with his work than Kenneth's.

TordelBack

You couldn't start with an easy one, say Sonny Steelgrave vs. Al Ewing?

Monstrously hard, proven veteran versus young (?) Pretender.

Purely out of divilment imma let Niemand finish:

Ken Niemand - because of his kooky citizens, Judge Patsy and just because he makes me excited about the strip.

Greg M.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 05 May, 2020, 07:45:46 AM
I hope you'll be including a separate entry for Keef Ripley.

And Cal Hamilton - it was weird they way he did that one story...

Greg M.

I'll vote Worley - he's written several stories I'm not really into, but he also wrote Dandrige, which I thought was excellent and deserving of further appearances. Far prefer to see the writer on his own creations than on the de-cheesecake-ified Durham Red.

If he was up against Niemand under his own true, secret name, it'd be a different story... and maybe it will be later in the tournament...

CalHab

Worley has done some great stuff  (in particular his Anderson was good) but what has he done for me lately? Niemand is in the prog NOW, and he has a chimp in his story. So definitely Niemand. Maybe. Possibly.

I also have no idea who Niemand is, though apparently you all know. Ah well.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 05 May, 2020, 08:12:04 AM
If he was up against Niemand under his own true, secret name, it'd be a different story... and maybe it will be later in the tournament...

If Alec gets through I'll rig the draw* for you so that happens! I mean you never know what the draw** will bring.

*well see comments later this week(end) probably as I work out how to do the tourney proper

** Assuming I do it by draw*

Colin YNWA

Quote from: CalHab on 05 May, 2020, 08:39:36 AM

Its all specualtion, but there is talk that he might be a stomach settling veteran ...

CalHab

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 05 May, 2020, 08:42:01 AM

Its all specualtion, but there is talk that he might be a stomach settling veteran ...

Cryptic. I'm afraid I'm a bit too dim for that one. Ewing? Rennie?

broodblik

Alec Worley for me. Unfortunately Niemand mostly wrote Dredd and nothing original yet.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: CalHab on 05 May, 2020, 08:54:09 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 05 May, 2020, 08:42:01 AM

Cryptic. I'm afraid I'm a bit too dim for that one. Ewing? Rennie?

Whoops sorry - speculation has it as Rennie - though it is just that (as far as I'm aware) utter speculation.

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 05 May, 2020, 08:40:27 AM
I mean you never know what the draw** will bring.

Depending on who survives this round, it would be interesting if the draw put Niemand up against his (alleged) self...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Greg M. on 05 May, 2020, 08:12:04 AM
I'll vote Worley - he's written several stories I'm not really into, but he also wrote Dandrige, which I thought was excellent and deserving of further appearances. Far prefer to see the writer on his own creations than on the de-cheesecake-ified Durham Red.

Yup, Worley for me too. I stopped reading the prog before Niemand appeared (so maybe my vote actually shouldn't count?) but like Greg I really, really enjoyed Dandrige, and it's such a shame we don't seem to be getting any more. Also thought he wrote one of the best Norwichmas3rillers.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

If this was a Dredd poll, the only writers Neimand would, for me, struggle against would be Wagner and Ewing. His Dredds are excellent, to the point I'd happily see him installed as the 'showrunner' writer, driving the future of the strip. As a relative newcomer, he has appeared fully formed, hence the speculation that he's a pen name. (Also, if Neimand is Rennie, then Rennie's Dredd style has changed beyond all recognition.)

I quite liked Dandridge. I quite liked Age of the Wolf. And the Durham Red reboot was pretty fab. But, yeah, Neimand sneaks it for me.