Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

The Favourite. Really, really excellent, if not quite the Oscar-winning humdinger I had been led to believe. I could've done with a more traditional score, though.

Bad City Blue

John Wick 3 - amazing and beautifully brutal
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Mattofthespurs

Rocketman. If you like the music of Elton John (and I do) then you will enjoy this.

Stylised more like a musical than a biopic it's rather self indulgent but good fun none the less.

broodblik

If you like your action ultra-violent and fast paced go and see John Wick 3. If you like pillow fights and some romance avoid this movie like the plague.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Theblazeuk

Greg M.

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 25 May, 2019, 04:51:07 PM
Rocketman. If you like the music of Elton John (and I do) then you will enjoy this.

Stylised more like a musical than a biopic it's rather self indulgent but good fun none the less.

I'm pretty neutral on the subject of Elton John - no strong feelings about the man or his music - but a friend wanted to see this, so off we went. On the plus side, Taron Egerton is very good in the leading role, and the film has style to spare. On the other hand, I found the script a bit cringeworthy at times, particularly the 'Elton must learn to love himself' psychodrama. Entertaining enough film for the first two-thirds, starts flagging towards the end. The main thing I learned is that Bernie Taupin is a nice chap.

Keef Monkey

We watched the recent version of The Mummy, and thought it was...fine? Maybe the slatings had lowered expectations enough but as messy as it was I didn't strongly dislike it or anything. There was even the odd moment here and there in the action scenes that I thought were pretty inventive. It definitely is a bit of a mess though, and it's a bit embarrassing that they went all out on setting up this Dark Universe franchise just to have this dribble out with no follow-up. Would at the very least have been interesting to see what the plan was for the other monsters. I'd thought Dracula Untold was part of it but maybe not, I actually quite liked that one!

Rewatched a couple of things too, Freddy vs Jason (which is fun enough to be probably my second favourite film with Jason Vorhees in it, but not a patch on the best of the Freddy movies) and the first John Wick, which I still really enjoyed, even if I was surprised at how tame it now seems compared to how bonkers the series has become!

Professor Bear

Captain Marvel - well made, but aggressively banal.  The throwback vibe to 1980s sci-fi adventure movies feels largely accidental, but the cast - aside from the bland lead - do their best with par material.  I found the cat stuff annoying.
Probably the most inconsequential of the Marvel movies so far - which just makes the nerd rage at it all the funnier, tbh.

The Road To El Dorado - also well-made but aggressively banal.  Not quite the disaster I was led to believe, it's still hard to pin down what people were expected to like about it, as the leads aren't terribly engaging, the songs are forgettable, and the story isn't particularly good.  Feels a lot like one of those cheapo cash-ins on Disney animated movies, though I gather this was intentional.
Passes the time, but I wouldn't suggest anyone go out of their way to watch it.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Professor Bear on 27 May, 2019, 03:41:05 PM
The Road To El Dorado - also well-made but aggressively banal.  Not quite the disaster I was led to believe, it's still hard to pin down what people were expected to like about it, as the leads aren't terribly engaging, the songs are forgettable, and the story isn't particularly good.  Feels a lot like one of those cheapo cash-ins on Disney animated movies, though I gather this was intentional.
Passes the time, but I wouldn't suggest anyone go out of their way to watch it.

This was a regular viewing in my youth. Sunday Radio Times listing, friends houses, those mind numbing end of term weeks where you're just turning up to show up. Despite having likely seen it a dozen times, all I remember is the suspiciously rotoscoped Aztec female lead who convinced me the animators weren't taking enough cold showers.

Tiplodocus

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME By far my favourite Roger Moore Bond (possibly my favourite overall, let me research From Russia With Love and get back to you...). Moore, obviously, is great. The main stunts are fab, the plot is a retread, the girls are gorgeous but I'd love to have a special edition to fix all of the dodgy rear projection and even worse sexism.

Should we forgive it because it's forty two years old? They really should have known better by then.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

And you didn't even mention the underwater Lotus Esprit.

JamesC

I watched low-budget sci-fi revenge thrilller Upgrade the other night.
I was really impressed. The action scenes were great and it offered a few surprises here and there.
If you fancy a decent action flick with a dark tone and a bit of a Cybepunk flavour you could definitely do worse.

Rately

Quote from: JamesC on 28 May, 2019, 12:26:25 PM
I watched low-budget sci-fi revenge thrilller Upgrade the other night.
I was really impressed. The action scenes were great and it offered a few surprises here and there.
If you fancy a decent action flick with a dark tone and a bit of a Cybepunk flavour you could definitely do worse.

Really enjoyed this a lot more than i expected, having been led to it by the Junkfood Cinema Podcast.

Low budget, but lots of good ideas, and the action scenes were fantastic along with a lovely soundtrack.

CalHab

Ghost in the Shell, the 2017 Scarlett Johansson version.

I dimly remember watching the anime twenty years ago. It didn't make a great impression, I suspect for similar reasons as this version.

The visuals in the 2017 movie are stunning in places and it definitely harks back to an 80s/90s cyberpunk future. Even the vehicles reflect that (is that a Citroen XM that Beat Takeshi drives?). There's a real problem with the script, though. Dialogue is incoherent and characterisation is broad-brush, at best. It's a seriously flawed film. The production design is top notch, however, and makes it worth watching for a fan of the genre.

Keef Monkey

Kin, which was a pretty cool sci-fi film with a good atmosphere and some cool ideas. Mogwai did the soundtrack which meant I'd listened to that for months before the movie came on Netflix so it was weird watching it and knowing the music so well, felt like I'd done things backwards a bit.

Went to see Godzilla: King of The Monsters as well which had some alright moments but for the most part I found it surprisingly dull for what should be a glorious huge monsters smush-fest. I found the action scenes uncomfortable to watch because I really felt like it was a strain to try and read what was going on during them, not helped by the fact it's incredibly dark. Probably intentional to make it look gritty but end result was it was largely just a murky mess. I say largely, because there is the occasional shot or moment that looked awesome and was genuinely exciting, but overall it just didn't click for me I guess. My other half liked it way more, so it's definitely going to hit the spot for some.

I enjoyed it more than the previous Godzilla movie (which I didn't like much either) but nowhere near as much as Kong: Skull Island, which I had a great time with (partly because I could see what was happening in it, but mainly just because I think it was way more successful at what it was trying to do).