Main Menu

Recent posts

Prog / Re: Prog 2381: A grizzly fate
Last post by Vector14 - Today at 10:31:08 AM
I'm also disappointment in the end of Dredd. Seems strange to follow up the death of Maitland with a story that introduces and kills off another female character. Two if you count their guide!

Having said that, I really enjoyed this story up until the end. The art has been phenomenal and I hope we see more of Guero soon. The page with him digging the pit ending with the line "You dig a mean grave" is great.

Brink is great as ever. Abnett's use of dialogue to build tension and intrigue is so good. To quote the quote quoted by Le Fink above "We're close, I know all his codes".

Announcements / Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Col...
Last post by Alec Worley - Today at 09:39:07 AM
Great! Thanks, all!!
Last post by Barrington Boots - Today at 09:05:55 AM
Dredd - to more or less agree with what others have said, for me, this ending outright sucked.
There's some neat things about how this story was set up - it seems there's a deliberate decision here to remove any context: we don't know what the judges mission is, where there are (even their destination is only 'the city') and the was no setup beyond the prologue recruitment episode: by removing any sense of exposition and focusing 100% on the action it's a very different model, like a little snapshit of violence and desperation, and I thought this was a really interesting concept.
The last episode (presumably) puts the capstone on the story though and for my reading switched it from interesting to 'what was the point'. The fun of it - besides the great artwork on display - in retrospect was the crazy concept of Dredd being chased by a gigantic bear for the whole strip and that being the whole plot. The end itself isn't a strong one: Dredd does very little throughout other than get his colleagues killed, the pit he dug to kill a massive bullet proof bear must have been the biggest spiked pit in the universe, he finishes alone and without much in the way of supplies in the middle of nowhere... and that's before we get onto the bitter fate of Moon. I'm not sure if this was an attempt to do a rug pull on the reader (she's going to be a great new character... oh! she died!) or if there's future stories coming out of this and if so this may look different in retrospect but at this stage this seems like something that really detracted from the story. It leaves a sour taste.

Moving on....

Aquila Unexpected and enjoyable episode here. Having seen countless historical types chopped down, this was a very good change of pace and a nice use of Hannibal as something other than a punching bag. Hades Delenda Est!

Indigo Prime - Good episode and a good ending although the final page felt unnecessary - possibly a better postscript with an actor less odious than Depp. The preceding page though was great, full of crazy possibilities.
I know it's not resonated on here with many, but I've enjoyed this run a lot. Part of it has just been letting the absolute weirdness wash over me - the flipside of that, now it's finished, is that I never got the investment one might have in a more conventional strip, so although we've had a resent of sorts I'm fairly indifferent about another series. If it's here I'll likely dig it: if its not I won't hanker for it. Lovely, lovely work by Lee Carter.

Brink - Great Brink-ness. Superb last page, all the better for the preceding talking heads pages.

Proteus Vex - Top thrill once again for me. The depcitions of a wounded and vengeful Midnight are especially great this week and she seems unstoppable. Still no Vex himself, still no problem! This is just magnificent stuff.

Off Topic / Re: Boys Adventure comic blog
Last post by Richard S. - Today at 06:57:24 AM
I realised I'm late to the 'Blacksad' party but there you go, for all lovers of the series here are some Juanjo Guarnido sketchbooks to look out for...

https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/2024/05/juanjo-guarnido-sketchbooks.html
Last post by broodblik - Today at 06:44:24 AM
A good prog that was letdown by a disappointing ending to the Dredd story.

Dredd – I already set my 2 cents.

Aquila – A good episode that breaks away from the previous violence (do not worry we do get some awesome massacre scene as well) as Aquila is moving closer to his objective.

Prime – Well it ends, and I am not sure that I really want to see another series. This was ok but with the weekly run in most cases it just felt like I must re-read the previous episodes to keep track.

Brink – Wow another awesome episode especially that last page. It is amazing how in 5 pages Abnett can spin up 4 different scenes. This series has been in top form since it first series. Another great thing about this is where are Abnett taking us? This is not a rollercoaster but a slow burn.

Vex – The focus is back to Midnight and this episode on its own would have owned the prog. What happens next? Why must we wait another week? Also mister Lynch your art is fantastic
Last post by broodblik - Today at 04:21:40 AM
I enjoyed the Dredd story but the last episode was "stupid". Again why as already stated do we need another cannon-fodder character rather than a new character. No explanation of what was Dredd's actual mission just a 6 episode wilderness chase scene.

Let's start a petition #BringBackMOON
Last post by Funt Solo - Today at 03:26:45 AM
Does he mean his own?
Film & TV / Re: Rogue Trooper News…!
Last post by Funt Solo - 07 May, 2024, 10:36:15 PM
Empire magazine (May, I think) has a bit of blurb on the upcoming Rogue Trooper movie.
Off Topic / Re: “Truth? You can't handle t...
Last post by Funt Solo - 07 May, 2024, 10:12:14 PM
Ah, Republicans.

In terms of shock value, though, this is perhaps as shocking as Liz Truss saying almost anything to anyone.
Prog / Re: Prog 2380 - By Steed and S...
Last post by Jake Lynch - 07 May, 2024, 08:35:51 PM
Quote from: Vector14 on 07 May, 2024, 11:06:53 AMJake Lynch's art is fantastic on this so still plenty to enjoy.
This Earthlet seems to possess great insight - I for one would certainly like to hear more from him... *cough*