Main Menu

Discovered / rediscovered music thread

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 April, 2009, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: freq on 27 February, 2017, 04:19:09 PM
Gil scot heron

Ah, fond memories of my first ever Glastonbury - 1986 - he blew the place away.

Zarjazzer

Back to the Gin Blossoms and the "Congratulations I'm Sorry" album.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Picked up a few albums from the thrift shoppe today

Regina Spektor : Begin To Hope

Got this because I believe she did the Orange Is The New Black theme song, which is quite catchy. This album sounds a lot more pop-ish than that song. Very Apple-Ad friendly. Not my cup of tea but for a $1 I can't complain

t.A.T.u : 200KM/H In The Wrong Lane

A throwback song to my younger days of downloading a music video on dial up just to watch Russian girls make out! Not just me mind you, there were a group of us at a friends house. Album is nothing special but it was worth the price of admission for a few minutes of nostalgia.

One Bad Pig : Swine Flew

Never heard of these lot. 90's Christian punk apparently. Listened to it in the car. Not bad. Now I've googled them I've noticed the pig on the cover is wearing a cross earring.

Snake River Conspiracy : Sonic Jihad

And finally we get to the best of the bunch. Looks like they only made one full length album which is a shame because they sound bloody good. I'd never heard of them and grabbed it because of the album name. If you enjoy industrial electronic music give them a go.

Zarjazzer

Magic stuff Smith!

Listened to this again realised how I'd missed it.

The Cult Big neon Glitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99_REOAQtN0
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

JayzusB.Christ

I was enough of a goth to love the Cult. Still love them.

But for a while, in my late teens and early twenties, it was electronic or nothing - and I've just rediscovered Dubnobasswithmyheadman, the album they did before all that shouty Born Slippy silliness.  I remember it utterly blowing me away in the same way Iggy Pop did when I first heard him, and now I realise it's still frikkin awesome (even though it now has the added effect of filling me with agonizing feelings of nostalgia).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

I, Cosh

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 July, 2017, 03:06:19 PM
But for a while, in my late teens and early twenties, it was electronic or nothing - and I've just rediscovered Dubnobasswithmyheadman, the album they did before all that shouty Born Slippy silliness.
Twenty-five years later (blimey!) and there still aren't too many tracks better than Rez.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: I, Cosh on 19 July, 2017, 03:52:48 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 July, 2017, 03:06:19 PM
But for a while, in my late teens and early twenties, it was electronic or nothing - and I've just rediscovered Dubnobasswithmyheadman, the album they did before all that shouty Born Slippy silliness.
Twenty-five years later (blimey!) and there still aren't too many tracks better than Rez.

25 years! Holy sneck. And i forgot to mention the band: Underworld. I have very fond memories of punching the air to them in dry-ice filled festival dance tents, surrounded by the happiest and liveliest audience their has ever been.
Kids today will never get the same buzz at their Ed fucking Sheeran gigs (obligatory grumpy old man dig at the yoof of today).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

ming

I'm listening to a random mp3 that I've had sitting around for years - a John Peel Virgin in-store show from October 16th 1979 (Part 2, apparently) - and there's a band there that I'd like to know more about...  I was going to ask here for info but at least I've just found the track on the Tube of You:

The Freshmen from 1979.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HB0m9DMLUY

(That track reached #17 in the Irish charts, I just found out.)

ming

Rara Avis

JayzusB.Christ

Just looking back at some old Pop Will Eat Itself videos on YouTube.  Wasn't really my scene at the time but I'm loving it; and I remember loving watching Clint Mansell being the mad bouncing dreadlocked grebo that took over the whole stage.

And now I kind of feel sad and old when I see the middle-aged, respectable, non-bouncy Clint Mansell doing movie soundtracks.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

This week I have mostly been revisiting Marilyn Manson.

He really had it going on in the 90s, before he became the horrible coke bloated weirdo he is now. A goth Lady Gaga for angsty Gen Xers
You may quote me on that.

JOE SOAP

Rackle

During the week between Christmas and New Year I had loads of time to listen to music and have been revisiting my time whilst at Uni (late 90s/early 00s) and I was very late in discovering the Stone Roses.

I keep hearing Waterfall and She Bangs a Drum and drifting back into a happy place. Anything with guitars in makes me happy but yeah, I could listen to The Stone Roses for a long while before I get bored.  I might lose my license to goth though, as it sure isn't anything like Fields of the Nephilim or Sisters of Mercy or Bauhaus.