Main Menu

What Songs are inspired by Dredd/2000ad?

Started by metalmarc, 14 September, 2012, 10:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blixab

Quote from: maryanddavid on 14 September, 2012, 10:35:17 PM
Hanging out with Halo Jones, Transvision Vamp

I remember Pop Will Eat Itself referencing Moore and DC, its in the back of my head that they refed 2000ad as well, but that could be just in my head.

David

The Poppies song is "Can U Dig It"

JayzusB.Christ

I seem to remember another old goth track with Nemesis in the video; done in very dodgy clay stop-motion.  Or am I dreaming?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 September, 2012, 08:36:25 AM
I seem to remember another old goth track with Nemesis in the video; done in very dodgy clay stop-motion.  Or am I dreaming?

I imagine that would be the previously mentioned and linked Nemesis by Shriekback, although it's just a bloke with a Nemesis-shaped hat and (in the interests of historical accuracy) Shriekback are not, and never were, a goth band.*

Cheers

Jim

*Although this is primarily evidence that most goths have appalling taste in music.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

NSFTM

not strictly related .. but i think it was judgement on Gotham got me into god lives underwater as one of the perps was wearing a T shirt with GLU thsirt
It Could Be That The Sole Purpose Of Your Life Is To Serve As A Warning To Others

Cursed Earth Dweller

Quote from: metalmarc on 14 September, 2012, 10:17:53 PMjust via wikipedia.org  (not the one on here i dont have access) i found only by going thru the wiki page
of Judge Death, that thrash band Dark Angel borught out a song called Darkness Descends which is about the dark judges!

I actually have the album, me being a bit of a metalhead myself, and yes that song totally suits the Dark Judges. I think the song is about how they sentanced their own world to death.

PS: Mutants in Mega City One is one of the catchiest toons I have ever heard. Also interesting to note is that the Fink Brothers were a side project of brittish ska band the Madness.

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteI imagine that would be the previously mentioned and linked Nemesis by Shriekback, although it's just a bloke with a Nemesis-shaped hat and (in the interests of historical accuracy) Shriekback are not, and never were, a goth band.*

Cheers

Jim

No, it was a different one!  Maybe I imagined it.  But I'll have a quick trawl through Youtube for it anyway
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

CraveNoir

XX Nemesis - Deathbringer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqitGOJo8Jc
Stop-motion by Tony Luke 87/88. IIRC he did an unrelated Godzilla vs Nemesis short, broadcast on TV earlier. Some of the footage turns up here.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 15 September, 2012, 12:54:55 AM
My favourite of them all- certainly more so than that bloody Anthrax thing, which hangs around the comic's neck like a dead albatross.

I like you.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: CraveNoir on 15 September, 2012, 09:27:10 AM

Wow! No goth band cliché left unused. That's awesome. How have I never seen that before?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SmallBlueThing

Annoyed that im on my phone and so cannot see tony luke's stop motion! Will have to wait. On a related note, I think the prog has been letting us down of late by not having photo strips of characters going shopping up oxford street and running into an old enemy. Why have we not had some skinny rebellion employee in a gimp suit and chains as shakara, in the ladies underwear section of next, facing off against a cardboard and silverfoil masked joe pineapples as he buys frillies? It's a fucking liberty. Tony luke could come out of retirement just to do it. Make it so.

As for 'i am the law'- as teenager i quite liked metal a bit, but even then it pissed me off that on a weekly basis, some hag looking like shaun hutson with breasts would slur up to me covered in anthrax patches and poke me in the dredd tshirted chest. It's literally the first thing out of some people's mouths on seeing dredd, as if the entire strip is a spin-off from a shit heavy metal song.

SBT

Greg M.

Bah! 'I Am The Law' is a fantastic heavy metal song, a loving riff-crazed celebration of Dredd by a bunch of genuine fans whose fondness for the strip remains strong to this day. I can think of much worse associations for 2000AD to have.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: CraveNoir on 15 September, 2012, 09:27:10 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqitGOJo8Jc
Stop-motion by Tony Luke 87/88. IIRC he did an unrelated Godzilla vs Nemesis short, broadcast on TV earlier. Some of the footage turns up here.

That's the one!  Thanks!

Alski

Of course, there is the now legendary "Judge Ernie" and the 35th Birthday song "1977" by myself. Still waiting for Cowell to call...  :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqtuev7n_H4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rhKuZrpsaI
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Cursed Earth Dweller

Quote from: Greg M. on 15 September, 2012, 09:52:02 AM
Bah! 'I Am The Law' is a fantastic heavy metal song, a loving riff-crazed celebration of Dredd by a bunch of genuine fans whose fondness for the strip remains strong to this day. I can think of much worse associations for 2000AD to have.

Indeed, nuts to those guys. I am the Law is a Kick Ass song and should be the theme that represents Dredd. Don't knock the song just because some dumbass can't be bothered to learn what it means.

Cursed Earth Dweller

Please excuse the double posting.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 15 September, 2012, 12:54:55 AMMy favourite of them all- certainly more so than that bloody Anthrax thing, which hangs around the comic's neck like a dead albatross.

And would you still criticize the song even if it actually turned people like myself onto the comic? I mean really! What do you fans expect?

Trout

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 16 September, 2012, 12:58:37 AM
Please excuse the double posting.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 15 September, 2012, 12:54:55 AMMy favourite of them all- certainly more so than that bloody Anthrax thing, which hangs around the comic's neck like a dead albatross.

And would you still criticize the song even if it actually turned people like myself onto the comic? I mean really! What do you fans expect?

I've never heard the Anthrax song. I'm not bothered.