Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Such good news!  It has genuinely perked me up more than you could ever know to have this back! 

Might even get me reading my growing pile of mostly unread progs, though thats a topic for another thread

Dandontdare

Yay, good news.

When I heard that our noble Hostile Environment policy had succeeded in removing a foreign freeloader, I rejoiced as a patriotic Englishman. This is no reason to deprive us of your colonial humour though, and your absence has been tut-tutted accordingly. I chose to dismiss any reports of so-called ill health as 'fake news' and instead believe that your silence was an outrageous attack on Britain's values, immigration policies and comics.

Seriously though, I was concerned, good to have you back, from an episode 1 subscriber.

(at Lawless '22 my biggest thrill was meeting and chatting to Conrad, way more than any of the illustrious creators there)

AlexF

Hooray! Not only are we able to enjoy the COnrad/Fox/Eli laugh-in machine, we also get to return to the Britsplainin' section of this message board...

To whit: as you correctly describe in the Armitage section, Colin Dexter Block is indeed a reference to the author of popular Detective series 'Inspector Morse'. Worth noting also, though, that Armitage's own look is surely based on John Thaw's look in that show, AND, perhaps, that John Thaw is also part of the DNA of Judge Dredd himself, thanks to his starring role in 1970s gun-filled cop show 'The Sweeney'.

JayzusB.Christ

Really enjoyed that - great to have you back, lads!

Alex is right about the Inspector Morse influence - I seem to remember Daves Bishop and Stone being fairly explicit about that at the time.

Which made it a bit weird to see Charlie Gillespie's muscle-bound, shirtless Armitage fighting monsters like He-Man battling against Skeletor's forces, instead of morosely pondering murder cases over a pint.  I did like Charlie's naked Lisa Marsh at the time, though.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling THREE HUNDRETH episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 912-915 of 2000AD, covering November 1994. This time we'll reach the end of Wilderlands, continue our adventures with Button Man and Red Razors, and start new stories for Bix Barton and Skizz!

Direct Download
iTunes
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Colin YNWA

WAYHEY! Super excited for this one. Welcome back you lovely people.

AlexF

Never has the wait for Red Razors coverage been so desperately anticipated

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 January, 2024, 01:10:43 PMReally enjoyed that - great to have you back, lads!

Alex is right about the Inspector Morse influence - I seem to remember Daves Bishop and Stone being fairly explicit about that at the time.

Which made it a bit weird to see Charlie Gillespie's muscle-bound, shirtless Armitage fighting monsters like He-Man battling against Skeletor's forces, instead of morosely pondering murder cases over a pint.  I did like Charlie's naked Lisa Marsh at the time, though.

As a teenager when Armitage first appeared (and Inspector Morse was on TV at the time, even if I didn't watch it) there was absolutely no doubt that the look was directly influenced.  It'd be like denying M.A.C.H.1 was based on the Six Million Dollar Man when the prog started.

Tjm86

Quote from: AlexF on 01 February, 2024, 10:58:24 AMNever has the wait for Red Razors coverage been so desperately anticipated

Am I the only one who reads this sentence in the style / voice of Today?  ::)

JayzusB.Christ

Well, I must say I'd been looking forward to the big 300 for a very long time, and it was well worth the wait. In fact, it'll go down as one of your very best, for me at least.

It was immensely entertaining to hear Conrad gradually get shit-faced, because why the feck not - it's his podcast and he can do what he wants. I got a huge thrill, not to mention a fit of the giggles, to hear Conrad reading out my own post and giving a repeat performance of the now-grown-up cockney boy enjoying the violence and Bisley nudity.

Fox did a first class job of writing and hosting the whole thing - his best pod performance yet, if you ask me.

I kind of agree about Wilderlands - it was far from one of Wagner's best epics, though I'd take it over Judgement Day any day. It was the repercussions (as well as the build-up) that made it worthwhile - some are still being felt in the Mega City of modern progs.  Stick with it, Fox!

Also the Skizz sequel. The art was great, of course, but it was a bit of a mess.

Not so sure if I agree about Bix Barton; for me it was a fairly decent shot at a typical 80s / early 90s British sitcom, in the Blackadder vein and it worked for me.  Obviously you fellows from across the pond didn't grow up with these traditions, of course. My only real complaint was that I wish Jim McCarthy had stuck with black and white.

Also - Red Razors.  Just, no.  Sorry.  At least the Meg one had that quirky pop-culture charm, but in the prog even that was gone and I really didn't like it.

Lastly, of course, you guys were spot on about Button Man. Comics don't get much better, and your analysis made it even better for me.  Button Man was a shining light in an era of mediocrity in the prog and Grud bless two of the best creators in the business for giving it to us.

Thanks as always, Conrad and Fox, I loved it and look forward to the next 300. And now I'm going to get shitfaced too.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SpaceSpinner2000

Hopefully my move from basically ok to angry and sweary to maudlin and sappy really gives everyone an idea of what it's like to be on a night out with me!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Funt Solo

2 seconds in - wtf accent?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 02 February, 2024, 10:45:08 PM2 seconds in - wtf accent?

For some reason it made me think of an obscure Si Spurrier character, Harry Kipling (Deceased).  In my mind, Fox nailed how he spoke.

The Monarch

conrad my man if it takes longer for podcasts to come out now you are more busy now so be it. I for one will look forward to them whenever they arrive :)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Monarch on 03 February, 2024, 08:58:19 AMconrad my man if it takes longer for podcasts to come out now you are more busy now so be it. I for one will look forward to them whenever they arrive :)

I'll second that. Obviously I would like episodes to arrive inside my phone as quickly and often, but when we're getting hours and hours of unmissable prog-based fun for free, I don't think any of us can complain.