Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2020

Started by Dash Decent, 27 June, 2019, 01:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

A Gronk strip, oooh interesting.

Colin YNWA

I've seen some muttering already in other parts but I'm very much looking forward to this. The fact we're returning to this Regened format is a very encouraging sign and I'd love for it to lead somewhere more consistent.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 27 November, 2019, 09:02:58 PM
I've seen some muttering already in other parts

[spoiler]REDACTED[/spoiler] those [spoiler]REDACTED[/spoiler].
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

M.I.K.

[spoiler]What he said.[/spoiler]

I, Cosh

I've seen some muttering already in other parts but I'm very much looking forward to this. The fact we're returning to this Regened format is a very encouraging sign and I'd love for it to lead somewhere more consistent.
Yeah, last years effort was head and shoulders above the what was running in the standard Prog at the time. Interesting that the solicit calls it "the first of the years' all ages issues." Does this mean we'll get more ReGened, or is it talking about the other specials?
We never really die.

Link Prime

Quote from: I, Cosh on 28 November, 2019, 08:01:04 AM
Yeah, last years effort was head and shoulders above the what was running in the standard Prog at the time. Interesting that the solicit calls it "the first of the years' all ages issues." Does this mean we'll get more ReGened, or is it talking about the other specials?

I'll respectfully disagree, and go against the forum grain on this topic once again.

I buy comics aimed at kids - for kids.
I want to continue buying comics aimed at kids - for kids.
But, I'm not a kid, and generally I don't particularly enjoy reading comics aimed at kids.

If you're going to break-up the latest run of say, Brink, in a weekly anthology for the sake of Occasional Twee Adventure part II it's not going to go down well with some of the regular readers.

And it would be a reasonable concern to voice in my view.
We're not your ideological enemies - just fellow Squaxx.

I'll close with an echo of Colin's sentiment; I would also love for 2000AD Regened to lead to something more consistent - it's own title.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 27 November, 2019, 03:08:59 PM

Is this the one where the baby Gronk clone needs to be rescued by the Mandalorian?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

sheridan

I liked the Regened special but don't think it should interrupt the weekly prog (and can't see exactly what the point of doing so is - for those following the weekly stories it's a distraction, and for those who like what they see in the one-off, next week they're going to be disappointed by being plunged in the middle of ongoing series with a completely different tone).

Link Prime

Is there any chance that this is some unpublished work by the late, great, Nigel Dobbyn?

IndigoPrime

Given how mini-IP is now devouring The Beano every week (and most of The Phoenix), I really wish Rebellion would do something regular in this space. I know it's insanely expensive and insanely risky, hence it not happening, but I'd subscribe to a monthly Cor/Buster right away, if the quality level was anything like in this year's special.

Tjm86

Quote from: CalHab on 27 November, 2019, 02:21:12 PM
Glad to hear that. The last Regened prog was very well done.

I'm in the 'so-so' camp personally.  Arguably the roll out of the specials like Cor / Buster, Tammy, RoTR etc kind of undermine the old teaser for the sprogs line.  The general 'do it as a special' consensus makes much more sense. 

If you think about it, alongside the prog on the shelves of newsagents for a few weeks is more likely to give readers the opportunity to compare and contrast.  The argument that the following week is going to be jarring doesn't quite stack up if that week's prog is there to read alongside it for comparison.

let's face it the majority of the arguments against the Regened special were about how it impacted on what was going on in the prog at the time.  Overall comments about many of the strips were positive but the sheen was taken off by delivery.

The Monarch

yeah the regened special was great the only issue i had was it happened in the middle of ongoing stories. maybe if it was spaced  between new story issues

Bolt-01

Quote from: Link Prime on 28 November, 2019, 09:39:02 AM

Is there any chance that this is some unpublished work by the late, great, Nigel Dobbyn?

Link - if you want to read Nigel working on the Gronk (and don't we all, really?) then have you read Dogbreath 24?

broodblik

I would rather have  the regen as a separate publication. If they want to do it, do it rather when all the stories of a current run is done. I do not like it when the prog is broken up and I have to wait two weeks for the continuation of the stories
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Four Regened progs? No. No, no, no, no, no. The last one was bearable - a decent Dredd and I really liked Full Tilt Boogie, but that was about it.

Four? Really?

Four??