Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Quote from: Rately on 17 August, 2020, 10:13:29 AM
The Meg.

Christ. Where to start. I can enjoy B movies, and I can usually enjoy a Statham movie for the dumb action, ropey one-liners and unintentional laughs, but this was a movie that the Director, effects team, writers etc. seemingly had little enthusiasm or love for. Terrible performances all round, ropey effects that rendered the main creature looking like a tech demo for a new console launch, bizarre plotting and logic, weird cuts and framing and just a general sense of meh to the whole thing.

Really should have been a lot better, considering the people involved.

This film is awful.  I found it hard to believe they failed at making a Jason Statham vs. Giant Shark film.  I wish I could say it was the worst film I watched at the time, but I followed this one with The Predator.  It was not a good week of movie viewing for me.

Rately

Quote from: pictsy on 17 August, 2020, 10:39:13 AM
The Meg.

Christ. Where to start. I can enjoy B movies, and I can usually enjoy a Statham movie for the dumb action, ropey one-liners and unintentional laughs, but this was a movie that the Director, effects team, writers etc. seemingly had little enthusiasm or love for. Terrible performances all round, ropey effects that rendered the main creature looking like a tech demo for a new console launch, bizarre plotting and logic, weird cuts and framing and just a general sense of meh to the whole thing.

This film is awful.  I found it hard to believe they failed at making a Jason Statham vs. Giant Shark film.  I wish I could say it was the worst film I watched at the time, but I followed this one with The Predator.  It was not a good week of movie viewing for me.

Yeah, The Predator was a massive disappointment for me, considering the Director and Writer involved.

Really expected a lot more. The whole thing was just very flat and uninspired, and most of the Actors seemed to be in a daze for the majority of the movie.

CalHab

Quote from: pictsy on 17 August, 2020, 09:50:21 AM
The Lost Boys

I thought this film was so cool when I watched it as a kid.  The railway bridge scene always stuck prominently in my mind.  I really loved this film.

Rewatching it, there is nothing remarkable about it.  If I was fresh to it today I would say it as an OK vampire film with some nice bits, but overall kinda dorky. 

Nevertheless, on this rare occasion nostalgia has won out.  I still really like it.  The film is very efficient with it's time and it seems like there might be more going on than actually does.  That made it enigmatic for me and is what probably hooked me as a child.

I watched this again last year. The greased-up saxophonist was just as funny as I remembered.

pictsy

Quote from: CalHab on 17 August, 2020, 11:32:18 AM
I watched this again last year. The greased-up saxophonist was just as funny as I remembered.

Haha!  I forgot that.  You reminding me of it has brought a smile to my face.  Cheers :)

Trooper McFad

The Lost Boys

I thought this film was so cool when I watched it as a kid.  The railway bridge scene always stuck prominently in my mind.  I really loved this film.

Rewatching it, there is nothing remarkable about it.  If I was fresh to it today I would say it as an OK vampire film with some nice bits, but overall kinda dorky. 

Nevertheless, on this rare occasion nostalgia has won out.  I still really like it.  The film is very efficient with it's time and it seems like there might be more going on than actually does.  That made it enigmatic for me and is what probably hooked me as a child.

This is definitely one of my favourite 80s films as I was of the age I would have loved to be part of the frog brothers gang fighting for truth, justice and the American way. (cracking sound track as well)

If you've tried to watch the sequels and there's at least 2 of them I think, there's a cameo of the sax player which is equally as funny- think of a middle aged greased up sax player that's hit hard times on a street corner. If you blink you'll miss it.

On the nostalgic theme I eventually watched the remake of  Red Dawn again really liked the original as a teenager I thought it would be cool to stomp around the country shooting the ruskies.
As flag waving as both films are I still prefer the original story line and 80s fashion 😂😂😂😂
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

repoman

The Meg.

I saw them both in the cinema and was disappointed.

The Meg's big issue is how little gore it had.  Even the scene where the Meg is at a crowded beach.  They managed to make it pretty much blood free.  I'm not someone who needs gore in films but in a shark film there should at least be some.

repoman

The Lost Boys

I've got that song (I Still Believe) on my running playlist and every time it comes on I get a little boost.  It's amazing.

Rately

Quote from: repoman on 17 August, 2020, 02:54:40 PM
The Meg.

I saw them both in the cinema and was disappointed.

The Meg's big issue is how little gore it had.  Even the scene where the Meg is at a crowded beach.  They managed to make it pretty much blood free.  I'm not someone who needs gore in films but in a shark film there should at least be some.

I definitely noticed that when they made it to the Beach in China.

Was really looking forward to some shlocky fun at least, but it wasn't even enjoyable in a so-bad-its-good way.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 17 August, 2020, 02:52:24 PMOn the nostalgic theme I eventually watched the remake of  Red Dawn again really liked the original as a teenager I thought it would be cool to stomp around the country shooting the ruskies.
As flag waving as both films are I still prefer the original story line and 80s fashion 😂😂😂😂

It's pretty well-known that Red Dawn is beloved of right-wingers, gun nuts and mountain-dwelling survivalists, so I always found it funny that it started life as an anti-war movie and then the original producers took the script to MGM, who promptly decided they wanted a pro-war movie featuring kids for a summer release, so hired John Millius to direct it, a man so pro-war and right-wing that when he agreed to direct the movie, he was - and I swear I am not making this up - paid in guns.
Millius had the script rewritten to make it explicit that "left wing Mexicans" were the real threat to the US if WW3 were to happen, which was a take so batshit that MGM hired a right-wing thinktank to talk Millius off the ledge in a language he could understand by suggesting that "Soviet-allied Nicaraguans" front and center of an invading South American coalition was more feasible, and at some point even the Pentagon decided this film had a problem with Latinos and withdrew their cooperation.
When the remake was mooted, Millius read the script and said he didn't like the historically-unlikely scenario of a Chinese ground invasion and that invaders would likely come from a nation bordering America, such as - ohhhh, just as a "for example" off the top of my head here - Mexico.  When he viewed the remake as a finished product and saw that they'd gone with North Koreans as the primary antagonists, he said he didn't like the film.

If you're jonesing for more John Millius anti-commie propaganda, though, I can recommend Home Front: The Voice Of Freedom, which is a tie-in novel to the Red Dawn-inspired videogame Home Front, allegedly written by Millius himself, and  which is very reminiscent of mid-80s cold war pulp like the early Survivalist novels.

pictsy

I didn't see Red Dawn until I was an adult and I had a pretty good idea about it going in.  As a curiosity it was interesting, but the experience did leave a bad taste in my mouth.  I don't think I'll watch it again.

The Meg's beach scene sticks out as being so utterly moronic.  I think it's the point I cracked when watching the film. 

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Professor Bear on 17 August, 2020, 04:12:06 PM
Quote from: Trooper McFad on 17 August, 2020, 02:52:24 PMOn the nostalgic theme I eventually watched the remake of  Red Dawn again really liked the original as a teenager I thought it would be cool to stomp around the country shooting the ruskies.

It's pretty well-known that Red Dawn is beloved of right-wingers, gun nuts and mountain-dwelling survivalists, so I always found it funny that it started life as an anti-war movie and then the original producers took the script to MGM, who promptly decided they wanted a pro-war movie featuring kids for a summer release, so hired John Millius to direct it, a man so pro-war and right-wing that when he agreed to direct the movie, he was - and I swear I am not making this up - paid in guns.
Millius had the script rewritten to make it explicit that "left wing Mexicans" were the real threat to the US if WW3 were to happen, which was a take so batshit that MGM hired a right-wing thinktank to talk Millius off the ledge in a language he could understand by suggesting that "Soviet-allied Nicaraguans" front and center of an invading South American coalition was more feasible, and at some point even the Pentagon decided this film had a problem with Latinos and withdrew their cooperation.
When the remake was mooted, Millius read the script and said he didn't like the historically-unlikely scenario of a Chinese ground invasion and that invaders would likely come from a nation bordering America, such as - ohhhh, just as a "for example" off the top of my head here - Mexico.  When he viewed the remake as a finished product and saw that they'd gone with North Koreans as the primary antagonists, he said he didn't like the film.

If you're jonesing for more John Millius anti-commie propaganda, though, I can recommend Home Front: The Voice Of Freedom, which is a tie-in novel to the Red Dawn-inspired videogame Home Front, allegedly written by Millius himself, and  which is very reminiscent of mid-80s cold war pulp like the early Survivalist novels.

When I first saw Red Dawn in the 80s I wasn't considering the right wing messages all I did was linked it with one of my favourite tooth strips of the 80s - Invasion. The scene of paratroopers floating in and the speed & ease which the invaders took over (& subsequent resistance) just rung a bell.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

dweezil2

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 17 August, 2020, 06:48:38 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 17 August, 2020, 04:12:06 PM

When I first saw Red Dawn in the 80s I wasn't considering the right wing messages all I did was linked it with one of my favourite tooth strips of the 80s - Invasion. The scene of paratroopers floating in and the speed & ease which the invaders took over (& subsequent resistance) just rung a bell.

I remember watching the film in the 80's, when I was a teenager and finding it uncomfortably jingoistic even then, years before I even knew what jingoism even was!!!  :lol:

Same reason I can't stand the horrendously overrated piece of propaganda trash, Top Gun.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

The Enigmatic Dr X

Bad Times at the El Royale

Someone decided to impersonate Tarintino. They did a really damn good impression.

You decide if that is good or bad. My view on this film is in italics.
Lock up your spoons!

Bolt-01

Agreed - that was a cracking piece of storytelling.

Link Prime

Found a rare unseen 80's horror on Netflix last night - Humanoids from the Deep

Cheap, sleazy, grotesque, trite, exploitative; I had a great time.