Main Menu

2000AD: Project Sketchbook

Started by ming, 16 November, 2013, 04:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

Ming, that is just stunning.
Best collection of comic art I have ever seen, the vibrancy and energy in those sketches is also some of the best work I have ever seen from the respective artists, particularly the likes of Colin Wilson and even Ian Kennedy.
I truly hope this reaches the masses in a suitably deluxe form (a la Zenith Book 1) to really show the brushwork etc to its fullest.
A magnificent, ongoing, achievement - my jealousy knows no bounds.
I may have missed it but is this purely a personal collection or are there plans to reproduce it for some good cause perhaps?

ming

Thanks, Trent!  I'll get good scans and pics online when it's all done (still some years away I imagine) but I don't think this will get published in any other form (Tharg put out a sketchbook of his own recently anyway).  I'll be happy when it's all over as will the artists since I'll finally stop nagging them all the bloody time.

Page 11:
Quote from: ming on 14 February, 2016, 05:51:21 PM
Hah, thanks for the kind words folks but there are no plans for wider dissemination of Project Sketchbook beyond a compilation .pdf to send out to all contributing artists once it's all done and dusted.

If Tharg wants to put contents from the completed books out there to raise money for charity or something I'd be up for it but to be honest this is just a (slightly mad) personal project and a love letter of sorts to the Galaxy's Greatest Comic.

Colin YNWA

Aside from the fact that that video REALLY wants me to stay in a Premier Inn its quite fantastic. To know that exists and not have your mitts on it you must have the patience of a saint!

Trent

Ming, picked up the official sketchbook which had some brilliant images and was worth every penny but I have to say, your collection beats it hands down.
If Rebellion can't think of a way to utilise it (charitable contribution while covering their costs) then it would be a crying shame - it would sell like hotcakes imho.
Of course, you could self publish and profiteer yourself which would be entirely reasonable given the lengths you have gone to.

I just want it...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Trent on 26 November, 2016, 10:08:57 AM
Of course, you could self publish and profiteer yourself which would be entirely reasonable a clear breach of copyright tempting a potential legal shitstorm that could threaten the effort of any fan who might want to do something similar in future given the lengths you have gone to.

FTFY.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ming

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 November, 2016, 10:22:57 AM
Quote from: Trent on 26 November, 2016, 10:08:57 AM
Of course, you could self publish and profiteer yourself which would be entirely reasonable a clear breach of copyright tempting a potential legal shitstorm that could threaten the effort of any fan who might want to do something similar in future given the lengths you have gone to.

FTFY.

Yup.  I'd never seek to profit from this in any way.  I'm happy to put images online to share the love but the thought of selling copies of this has never crossed my mind.  Artists have given up valuable time to contribute to this (and often refused offers of payment) and I very much doubt I'd have encountered so much goodwill and support along the way if I'd been planning to repackage the artwork and sell it on in any form.  It's a very personal project anyway so why would I?

Trent

Good point, my overenthusiasm clouding my mind.

ming

Four years of effort so far.  30 artists*, 45 contributions.  The latest comes from the singular talent that is Shaky Kane.

Brendan McCarthy
D'Israeli
Steve Yeowell
Jock
Frazer Irving
Edmund Bagwell
Brett Ewins
Dave Taylor
Phil Winslade
Pete Fowler
Tiernen Trevallion
Ian Kennedy
Henry Flint
Colin Wilson
Dave Gibbons
Arthur Ranson
Staz Johnson
Bryan Talbot
Carlos Ezquerra
Fay Dalton
Clint Langley
Mick McMahon
INJ Culbard
Jesús Redondo
Ian Gibson
Simon Davis
Simon Fraser
Cat Sullivan
Liam Sharp
Shaky Kane

...and those currently babysitting books

blackmocco

No Kev O'Neill yet, Ming...? The holy grail...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Trout

I love Shaky Kane's stuff. It's just so weird.

ming

Quote from: blackmocco on 08 December, 2016, 01:41:59 AM
No Kev O'Neill yet, Ming...? The holy grail...

No, Ive tried and failed up to now but I'll give it another go at some point.  Hopefully just a matter of right time, right place and being able to get a book in front of him somewhere...

Spikes

Again, another cracking piece.

And that's certainly a mouth watering list of droids that have contributed to PSB so far.  :thumbsup:

You're off to the 40th bash? Will a few more sketches be added to those books at that event?
I'm probably going to be taking my own (more modest) sketchbook along, and hopefully try to get a few.

ming

Quote from: Spikes on 08 December, 2016, 10:56:36 PMYou're off to the 40th bash? Will a few more sketches be added to those books at that event?

I will be over for the 40th bash, yes - not sure if there'll be any of the sketchbooks attending though.  However, if I can persuade those currently in possession to bring them along, I will.  If there's the smallest chance of getting a book in from of say, Kevin O'Neill or Brian Bolland, I'd be over the moon.  Unlikely, I know...

Anyway, in the meantime, this DPS popped up today - from the pen of the previously-mentioned Dan Lish: Reptilian Royal unmasked by Johnny Alpha!  (Dan had a pic published back in Prog 373 but I think you'll agree that he's come on a bit since then.)

ming

Fresh from the 40th - huge thanks to Simon Coleby for this one!  It was a huge treat to hug the books (my, how they've grown) and whisper sweet nothings to them at the weekend but now it's time for them to move on once again...

Colin YNWA

Wow it must have been something special to seem them in the flesh.

That is a doozy by Mr Coleby.