Main Menu

Prog 2326 - Rogue's Return

Started by Barrington Boots, 03 April, 2023, 11:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Thanks both. I figured that was likely the case, but didn't want to be 'that guy'.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Magnetica

Best thing about this week's Prog is the return of two of my favourite artists, Ben Willsher and Patrick Goddard.

The return of Rogue Trooper was pretty good. It also demonstrated the value of digital, as I have all the Rogue Trooper collected editions on my iPad, and was abLe to very quickly bring up the story from Progs 327 to 332 that was referenced and read it.

Elsewhere in The Prog, I'm just reading The Order with little expectation of knowing what's going on.

Richard

Is it just me, or is this week's prog printed on flimsier paper stock than usual?

Max Headroom

It did seem a bit more lightweight than usual!

aceface11

Quote from: Max Headroom on 07 April, 2023, 02:33:49 PMIt did seem a bit more lightweight than usual!

This is the first prog I've bought in a couple of years(?)... The promise of Rogue/Red bought me back to Tharg's mighty organ. I had the same thought, at first I thought the page count had been reduced but it must be the thickness of said stock.

scrotnig

Loved Rogue Trooper. Probably as much for nostalgia, but it captures the original perfectly. Art especially.

Also like the Thargnote casually referring to profs from before the dawn of time like it's no big deal.

Best thing in the Prog for me, which is certainly a high bar this week.

Swerty

Quite like Rogue bring in the Prog.Kind of like a comfort blanket.

JayzusB.Christ

While the Gronk was stomping round and totally ruining the mystique of the Lyrans, I never thought I'd say it, but:  I'm delighted to see Garth Ennis taking over a classic 2000ad character.

Lovely little old-school Dredd from Niemand too.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

norton canes

It's got my letter in, so it's a thumbs up from me :)

Apart from that 'Shrine' is a typically hard-hitting Niemand one-shot - I was thinking that the first page on its own would make a perfect entry for the current Art Stars competition. Excellent start for Durham Red, I'm very much one the 'more please' side of her current incarnation. Funny how The Order appears to be heading for its climax with the characters poached from another strip to the fore. No sign at the start of its latest chapter that Enemy Earth is going to be any more than another extended runaround.

As for Rogue Trooper... the twist was certainly unexpected, but the rest of it was a pretty routine re-re-re-reintroduction to the protagonist and his backstory, with little of the welcome colour that the Rennie droid has introduced to Jaegir. Early days, though...

Funt Solo

The Dredd feels like a rare misstep from ChatGPNiemand. Dredd being stubborn is fine - but here he's too careless. There's that scene in Oz where he shoots a local surfer who buzzes him - but he shoots him in the leg. Here, he shoots a fleeing perp in the back. Also, he's repeatedly setting fires in a narrow alleyway - which is a bit more arson than Dredd's known for.

It just didn't feel like Dredd to me.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++