Main Menu

Prog 2354: Owlbore Overload

Started by IndigoPrime, 15 October, 2023, 05:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

yeah i don't get it either feral and foe is great

Richard

Comedies in 2000AD have always divided opinion. Some people like their comic to be serious. Personally, I think the whole point of an anthology is the variety. Feral and Foe is funny and fun.

Le Fink

Quote from: Richard on 19 October, 2023, 03:00:29 PMComedies in 2000AD have always divided opinion. Some people like their comic to be serious. Personally, I think the whole point of an anthology is the variety. Feral and Foe is funny and fun.
To add to the pile-on, I like it too and fantasy is not usually my cup of tea (I'm not getting any of the D&D references but I'm still enjoying it). I think the humour helps in this case. Plus sorry to bang on but the art is terrific.

Tjm86

TBH the first series of F&F didn't really click for me. The artwork is as amazing as pretty much everything Elson does so it's not that.  I suppose humour is something that is hard to get right.  When you look back at D R & Quinch there are some bits that simply don't work looking back at them.  Dash Decent and Captain Klep were fairly mundane and as for Bonjo ... well, let's just say that O'neill's artwork definitely saved the day there.

As for the D&D references, well I suppose unless you are versed in much of the vernacular it is likely to fly straight overhead.  I'd have more chance of spotting an honest Tory in all honesty.  :o

Richard

I don't know anything about D&D but I still got "Balzacre Fort."  :D

Proudhuff

ah its a humorous thing, didn't know that. Doesn't help me though, still dont really get it.

I find that art great but the colours too dark my my ancient peepers. Its me not you!
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

Feral & Foe since book 1 worked for me. I like the humour and it is different from what we have running in the prog. Elson's art is always a plus
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

I just read that The Devil's Railroad will be 14 episodes
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

staticgirl

Hello! I haven't been on the forum for ages as I couldn't log in but I found a browser that works. Yay.

So, I've been feeling a bit meh about 2000AD for a while despite the evident quality within its pages but in the last few weeks I have definitely enjoyed it a lot. First with the excellent and poignant send off for Judge Hershey and now Helium is back. I have loved D'Israeli since the Deadline comic in the late 80s. The colouring in the is fantastic. Feral & Foe makes me laugh which is sorely needed.

I really dislike Deadworld. Anything to do with Dark Judges really bores me. It's so hard to make out what is going on, if anything is actually happening. In the old days of compressed storytelling I am not sure the entire contents of the saga wouldn't have been used up in one series of about 20 episodes...

Darren Stephens

https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Funt Solo

I'm a bit behind in my prog-reading but had been catching onto a few "needs a re-read" type commments regarding The Fall of Deadworld, so I thought I'd put my money where other people's mouths were and went back and re-read the entire saga.

The re-read helped bring all those disparate elements together into a cohesive whole - but I've been a fan of the story all along. On a week-by-week, I could see how it could be difficult, because there are lots of characters, and sometimes you get drip-fed their names, even - or, to put it another way, the storytelling forces us to pay attention.

This episode had a great piece of 2000 AD in it, though (see pic below), and it's a bit sad that folk are so down on it when there's so much fun to be had. Ava Eastwood is this dimension's Dredd (although, given her extra-judicial liaison with Leigh, she's also a bit Rico-esque) - so her fishing out the Sov commander and then eliminating her is entirely in-character.

Summary: definitely enjoyed the re-read, and great to see this back in the prog.

I spat my tea at this bit:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++