Main Menu

Prog 2356 - Thrill-power reaches new heights!

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 October, 2023, 08:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Le Fink on 31 October, 2023, 07:10:56 PMWhy did Enemy Earth (and others? I can't remember) get moved out of regened and into the prog?
At a guess, to get through the content more rapidly, so it could be collected. Other strips that ended up in the regular prog: Dept K, Full Tilt Boogie, and Pandora Perfect. I liked all of those.

Le Fink

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 31 October, 2023, 09:20:18 PM
Quote from: Le Fink on 31 October, 2023, 07:10:56 PMWhy did Enemy Earth (and others? I can't remember) get moved out of regened and into the prog?
At a guess, to get through the content more rapidly, so it could be collected. Other strips that ended up in the regular prog: Dept K, Full Tilt Boogie, and Pandora Perfect. I liked all of those.
Hmm, sounds like a reasonable guess. But it's damaging to the Regened brand if the replacements aren't of a similar quality. I dunno, maybe it's the genre of the main filler story we've had of late that has something to do with the lack of appeal of this year's Regened for me. It's over (for now), so it'll be sunlit uplands from now on...

Barrington Boots

Pretty poor issue again sadly. When you look at the stuff that started in Regened and came out, even though I didn't enjoy a lot of them in the Prog, they're head and shoulders above the current Regened stuff.

Wicked cover as agreed. I thought Dredd was much alright (but better than previous Dredd efforts) and the art was great. Future Shock was alright also. Bladers was tedious. I thought Lowborn was better than the last couple of times out: the storytelling was better - but I still really don't like it. I agree that shooting the bear would be an auto 'I'm not reading this again' moment from my 11 year old niece.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Link Prime

scrotnig

Quite enjoyed Lowborn High this time. Gasp. Agree about the bear scene though.

Richard

Hopefully the bear will come back in the next episode for a grudge match, Shako-style, and slaughter the entire cast. 

Barrington Boots

I would read the hell out of that.
Lowdown High: The Bear Witch Project
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

The first thing I thought from a 2000 AD perspective is SHE JUST SHOT SHAKO. But also, that whole "the bear's gone away now" comment. Yeah, you just blew a chunk out of it, so it's probably bleeding to death, when you could have just scared it away. I doubt that's the kind of thing modern kids (many of which are eco and rather pro polar bear) are desperate to read. Hey-ho.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Darren Stephens

https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Dash Decent

Great cover.

Bladers should be renamed Bladders.

That is all.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

norton canes

Good to hear all the praise for Joe Currie's art, which I heartily echo. A series for him in the regular prog please, Tharg!

nxylas

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 November, 2023, 04:52:15 PMThe first thing I thought from a 2000 AD perspective is SHE JUST SHOT SHAKO. But also, that whole "the bear's gone away now" comment. Yeah, you just blew a chunk out of it, so it's probably bleeding to death, when you could have just scared it away. I doubt that's the kind of thing modern kids (many of which are eco and rather pro polar bear) are desperate to read. Hey-ho.
Never thought I'd see the day when Squaxx were complaining about too much violence in the Regened progs.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

IndigoPrime

It's not about violence (or the lack thereof) – more about context. It felt wildly out of place in Regened, and shooting a frikkin' polar bear, tearing a bloody chunk out of an animal that's likely going to crawl away and die, doesn't seem like something that's going to endear a comic to modern readers. But maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps my kid and her friends are anomalous and today's kids are gagging to see endangered creatures get unnecessarily shot in comics. (Next issue in Regened: the magic students go to Africa, stray on to the turf of some rhinos, and are luckily saved by someone who shoots all the rhinos! Yay! Etc.)