Main Menu

GARTH ENNIS PLANES and BOYS

Started by Tiplodocus, 02 October, 2008, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Cosh on 03 May, 2012, 11:42:01 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 03 May, 2012, 03:49:51 PM
Supposedly it's semen-with-blood-in, everyone's favourite kind I'm sure.  I had thought it was something to do with [spoiler]Black Noir and his covert thumb-up-the-bum antics[/spoiler], but I'd say that's pretty unlikely now.  It may just be a recurring random detail showing how kerayzee life in Noo Yawk can be, but given its prominence this week, I doubt it.
It's just a sleazy comedy detail. Doesn't Butcher tell Huey that's what it'll be like before he moves into the hotel? Then it is the first night. I'm thinking the identity of the depositor will be one of the things we discover in the last issue or two.
I'm not the sort of person to say I told you so.
We never really die.

Alski

so... one to go.

I am sure that there will be MANY plot holes in this, but I have enjoyed it.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

gurnard

71 was fantastic but I think it does need one final issue to tie it all up. What happened to Starlight? I think 72 is a bumper issue too so well looking forward to that.

TordelBack

Quote from: gurnard on 09 October, 2012, 12:13:55 PMWhat happened to Starlight?

Aye, fingers crossed Wee Hughie stops fecking aboot there, y'ken.  I'm all for a happy ending, maybe a family fishing trip [spoiler]with Da and Jamie and the lads on the Annie January[/spoiler]. 

It's really remarkable how Ennis has made such a sustained and satisfying story out of what looked like being a nasty parodic gag of a book.   Well, it's that too, happily, but also engaging and even touching.  He's really grown as a writer, and this has definitely been my favourite of his longer works (although there are shorter stories in Battlefields that trump it). 

Dodsy

Can't believe I've just found this thread and The Boys is bloody finishing next month!
Twitter - @dodsy84

gurnard

Satanist

Been reading this as monthly since the start and cannae wait till its done to go back and read the lot. I'm sure theres loads I've not picked up on over the years.

71 was great and sad but I still think I was more upset over the rest of the boys. Aye agree wee Hughie should get his finger out his arse regards starlight.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Dodsy

I've started a re-read now so that by the time issue 72 drops I'll be almost at the end of the run (that way the overall ending won't be spoilt for me) and The Boys definatly reads better as a done in one in my opinion.
Like people have been saying there is a lot of stuff that gets mentioned at the start that didn't get mentioned again for months. Also now we know where a lot of this stuff is going it's kind of cool to remeber how the seeds where planted right at the begining.

(Still hasn't beaten Scalped though)
Twitter - @dodsy84

Cursed Earth Dweller

Hmmmmm......

I have been very skeptical about reading the Boys ever since reasding Preacher(which I'm a huge fan of btw) because back when it first started the biggest reputation it had was that it is even more twisted and extreme then Preacher which was extreme and twisted enough. This gave me the impression that is all there was to the Boy's and having the strip cancelled after about 5 or so issues didn't inspire me to wan't to read it either.

But after reading this thread I think I'll wait till the whole thing is collected tradepaperback format and see what I think.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 13 October, 2012, 10:17:22 AM
Hmmmmm......

I have been very skeptical about reading the Boys ever since reasding Preacher(which I'm a huge fan of btw) because back when it first started the biggest reputation it had was that it is even more twisted and extreme then Preacher which was extreme and twisted enough. This gave me the impression that is all there was to the Boy's and having the strip cancelled after about 5 or so issues didn't inspire me to wan't to read it either.

But after reading this thread I think I'll wait till the whole thing is collected tradepaperback format and see what I think.

I think the TBP are out there already... well enough to be going on with
DDT did a job on me

Goaty

Well the Boys issue 72, the final issue out this weekend, I bet many of you very exciting to see how it ends... nice or in shocking...?

I wish[spoiler] Wee Hughie would blow up all Superheros![/spoiler]

Batman's Superior Cousin

It's out next Wednesday, not the weekend!!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

I, Cosh

So, did nobody buy the first issue of the new Battlefields series last week? I saw it in the window of FP but haven't been in town during the day.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 13 November, 2012, 08:48:33 PM
So, did nobody buy the first issue of the new Battlefields series last week? I saw it in the window of FP but haven't been in town during the day.

Its on my Pull list but I've not been to my LCS since it came in and alas won't for a couple of weeks possibly.

Dodsy

Quote from: The Cosh on 13 November, 2012, 08:48:33 PM

I picked it up last weekend but haven't had chance to read it yet.

On a related note: Does anyone know where I can get me hands on The Tankies pt3? From the first series of Battlefields. I think it was issue 9 overall. I was out of work at the time and couldn't afford to pick it up when it was released and I've never been able to find it since. I've got all the rest.
Twitter - @dodsy84