Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2024

Started by Dash Decent, 07 July, 2023, 01:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Quote from: I, Cosh on 09 February, 2024, 03:52:07 PMPresumably the colouring on Stainless Steel Rat is from the Eagle Comics reprints (like the Nemesis one) rather than something completely new. 
I wouldn't assume that, since those reprints usually didn't have very good colouring. They may well have redone it from scratch. 

rogue69

Quote from: I, Cosh on 09 February, 2024, 03:52:07 PMPresumably the colouring on Stainless Steel Rat is from the Eagle Comics reprints (like the Nemesis one) rather than something completely new. Did Carlos colour that himself? I know he did the covers.

The Eagle comics were coloured by Janet Landau but i think they missed out a lot of the stories as there was only 6 issues containing all 3 stories

Mike Carroll

Quote from: rogue69 on 09 February, 2024, 06:20:39 PM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 09 February, 2024, 03:52:07 PMPresumably the colouring on Stainless Steel Rat is from the Eagle Comics reprints (like the Nemesis one) rather than something completely new. Did Carlos colour that himself? I know he did the covers.

The Eagle comics were coloured by Janet Landau but i think they missed out a lot of the stories as there was only 6 issues containing all 3 stories

I'm fairly certain that all of the 2000AD episodes were included in the Eagle reprints. However, I doubt that the colouring from the Eagle editions will be used because the panels were reformatted to fit the different-proportioned pages (some panels were even "extended" with extra bits added), so the colouring wouldn't line up.

Le Fink

I think Carlos's black and white work takes colour well. The Essential Dredd Apocalypse War volume was pretty good, with a fairly flat colour scheme which I think is a good fit.

I'd like to see Carlos's Strontium Dog coloured. I recently bought the first two of the new hardbacks mainly for the colour spreads in the early stories. The reprint could be better I guess? But they are still pretty lush. And currently less than half price, I think.

Reflecting on the imminent Nemesis Book 2 though... you could possibly get away with colouring Kev O'Neil's chapters but not Talbot's IMO - too much texture. I think I'd stick with B&W throughout. Actually I kind of want to see Kev's episodes coloured! Oh no!

Lorenzo

Quote from: Max Headroom on 09 February, 2024, 05:51:00 PMLorenzo - just out of interest, is your B&W Omnibus the old black Titan edition? Is it really superior to the newer colour edition?
I wouldn't say it's superior to the new hardback. I just have a preference for the original art in B&W. I have the original Rebellion omnibus from 2007 - all 3 books for only £11.99! Paper quality is good and the blacks are black but there are no colour covers, everything is B&W, and the page size is tiny.
I just have a soft spot for the original art as it was one of my favourites when I first started reading 2000AD.

PsychoGoatee

I have a lot of nostalgia for Stainless Steel Rat, since the prequel novel A Stainless Steel Rat is Born was one of my top fav books as a kid.

It does sound cool coloring this, usually I stick with b&w but 2000AD has such a good track record, colorized stuff looks great so far. And for example I don't like the coloring on The Walking Dead's new versions, it can miss pretty easily.

Dash Decent

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 10 February, 2024, 04:17:06 AMthe prequel novel A Stainless Steel Rat is Born was one of my top fav books as a kid.

I loved the beginning bit where young Jim steals the 'Get Stuffed' bars.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Swerty

Tbh I do think it's the Eagle comic coloured pages were getting like the Robo hunter one that came out last December.Ill definitely buy it no matter.

Dash Decent

Ah, rats! (Stainless Steel ones.)  I was hoping for a brand new colouring job.  The Eagle editions will be 'bodged' to fit the dimensions of a US comic book, won't they?  (I suppose that works better for the modern reprint size.)  As Le Fink says, the flat colouring in the Apoc War volume is rather good.  Fantagraphics are doing a great job going the same way with their Carl Barks library issues.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 45 - Paperback, 304 pages, 12th September 2024

THE ASCENT OF MANDROID!

Cybernetic ex-soldier Nate Slaughterhouse – AKA Mandroid – was last seen rampaging through Mega-City One on a vigilante killing spree. Hellbent on avenging the murder of his son and finding his missing wife, Slaughterhouse took the law into his own hands. But Mega-City One only knows one law, and his name is Dredd. The infamous Judge stopped Mandroid in his tracks and sent him to the Iso-cubes. Now, it's two years later and Nate Slaughterhouse wants revenge...

The best-selling series collecting the law in order continues in this explosive volume written by John Wagner (A History of Violence), Gordon Rennie (Warhammer), Robbie Morrison (The Authority), Pat Mills (Marshal Law) and Alan Grant (Batman), with art by Simon Coleby (The Punisher 2099), Ian Gibson (The Ballad of Halo Jones), Colin MacNeil (Devlin Waugh), Henry Flint (Rogue Trooper), David Roach (Demon), Mike Collins (Superman), Cliff Robinson (Vector 13), John Hicklenton (Heavy Metal Dredd), Boo Cook (Doctor Who), Tan Eng Huat (Doom Patrol), Simon Fraser (Nikolai Dante), Paul Marshall (Sinister Dexter) and Smudge (Chiaroscuro).
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

The Sarge Volume 2 - Hardcover, 128 pages, 26th September 2024

SOME MEN ARE BORN LEADERS - MEN LIKE JIM MASTERS!

Italy, 1943. British sergeant Jim Masters and his section face brutal opposition from the German army. At the same time, Masters must motivate his men and ensure that each individual soldier is prepared for the increasing threat from the enemy - a difficult task as the section now has a lot of inexperienced soldiers amongst its ranks.

From marauding Tiger tanks to suspicious American paratroopers, this volume includes the final work on the strip by its co-creators Gerry-Finley Day and Mike Western.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Quote from: Dash Decent on 12 February, 2024, 07:33:13 AMJudge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 45 - Paperback, 304 pages, 12th September 2024

THE ASCENT OF MANDROID!

Cybernetic ex-soldier Nate Slaughterhouse – AKA Mandroid – was last seen rampaging through Mega-City One on a vigilante killing spree. Hellbent on avenging the murder of his son and finding his missing wife, Slaughterhouse took the law into his own hands. But Mega-City One only knows one law, and his name is Dredd. The infamous Judge stopped Mandroid in his tracks and sent him to the Iso-cubes. Now, it's two years later and Nate Slaughterhouse wants revenge...

The best-selling series collecting the law in order continues in this explosive volume written by John Wagner (A History of Violence), Gordon Rennie (Warhammer), Robbie Morrison (The Authority), Pat Mills (Marshal Law) and Alan Grant (Batman), with art by Simon Coleby (The Punisher 2099), Ian Gibson (The Ballad of Halo Jones), Colin MacNeil (Devlin Waugh), Henry Flint (Rogue Trooper), David Roach (Demon), Mike Collins (Superman), Cliff Robinson (Vector 13), John Hicklenton (Heavy Metal Dredd), Boo Cook (Doctor Who), Tan Eng Huat (Doom Patrol), Simon Fraser (Nikolai Dante), Paul Marshall (Sinister Dexter) and Smudge (Chiaroscuro).

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Quote from: Dash Decent on 12 February, 2024, 07:33:48 AMThe Sarge Volume 2 - Hardcover, 128 pages, 26th September 2024

SOME MEN ARE BORN LEADERS - MEN LIKE JIM MASTERS!

Italy, 1943. British sergeant Jim Masters and his section face brutal opposition from the German army. At the same time, Masters must motivate his men and ensure that each individual soldier is prepared for the increasing threat from the enemy - a difficult task as the section now has a lot of inexperienced soldiers amongst its ranks.

From marauding Tiger tanks to suspicious American paratroopers, this volume includes the final work on the strip by its co-creators Gerry-Finley Day and Mike Western.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Rebellion Presents The José Muñoz Collection
- Paperback, 128 pages, 21st November 2024

No other details at present.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Richard

Since Mandroid started in prog 1555, that is the wrong cover.