Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 12 October, 2011, 09:27:26 PM
DRIVE. A glorious '80s pastiche that on occasion almost verges on parody. I'm sure there are films to better compare it to (and I've no idea if it does march to the Takeshi of a different drum) but the minimal dialogue and haunting sountrack had me thinking of THE HITCHER.

Well you can compare it to direct inspiration:

Walter Hill's, the Driver (1978)

Car chases. Minimalist filmmaking. Rarely-speaking, taciturn and un-named main character:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Driver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b-Mg27nyQ0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43zcvKPnc60

Whole film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1bNhQ5fr8c&feature=related

Eric Plumrose

Ah, crap. A Walter Hill film?
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

zombemybabynow

Hanna - see it - buy the soundtrack

it's fucking awesome

blanchett is amazingly cold and evil
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

SpetsnaZ99

You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

Spaceghost

Can everybody tell me how great they think I am next please?
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

SmallBlueThing

I think you're lovely. Your hair makes grown men weep.

That do ya?

;)

SBT

SpetsnaZ99

Ill say you are great, but only if you confirm that you were in The Fisher King
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

radiator

SBT's film reviews are essential, and are very important to me when deciding what to watch.

If it's a film he likes, I avoid it. If he doesn't like it, I'll give it a go. Never fails.

;)

Spaceghost

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 13 October, 2011, 10:20:12 AM
I think you're lovely. Your hair makes grown men weep.

That do ya?

;)

SBT

Thank you. I spend ages putting all these grey tints in.

Quote from: SpetsnaZ99 on 13 October, 2011, 10:34:03 AM
Ill say you are great, but only if you confirm that you were in The Fisher King

Who me? I've never seen The Fisher King so I don't unnerstand.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Tiplodocus

QuoteIf it's a film he likes, I avoid it. If he doesn't like it, I'll give it a go. Never fails.

Plus as mentioned above, there's joy to be had in the reasons behind it all.

Anyway, ROXANNE.  A superior rom-com (with much emphasis on the com both in the actual main plot and in lots of incidental background character).  Steve Martin hasn't often been better. And Daryl Hannah looks as ravishing as the countryside around them. Big smiles (and some belly laughs) all round in the Tips household - which is pretty good considering I've seen it several times already.

(I recall there was a Gerard Depardieue version of Cyrano De Bergerac out about the same time which is also great)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dandontdare

Colin YNWA

Man I love those early(ish) Steve Martin films. Just about anything up to and including LA Story are all good to various degrees.

Anyway I've tried to be good and not rage here but last weekend my wife and I settled down to finally watch Jonah Hex... now I knew it wasn't week received but really who knew it was that crap. I think we lasted 35 minutes. The last 25 of those only due to our shared love of the comic. What a steaming pile of poo.

I know I know we should try for constructive critics but that's as constructive as I can get. It made me sad and angry in equal measures. I dread the fact I still have The Spirit on my LoveFilm list!

SmallBlueThing

As a kid, i read a couple of issues of Jonah Hex, but didnt like it as being 'a mildly scary western' it freaked me out a little. More recently, i bought the (tim truman? Joe lansdale?) mini series and seem to remember 'quite liking' it, but other than that it's a blank.

Is the movie really so bad that i- with next to no history with the character, and hoping for only a 'sort of scary western' featuring a hero with a strange mouth- would be disappointed? I ask, because ive been eyeing it up with a view to renting.

SBT

Mudcrab

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 13 October, 2011, 12:38:18 PM
Man I love those early(ish) Steve Martin films. Just about anything up to and including LA Story are all good to various degrees.

Anyway I've tried to be good and not rage here but last weekend my wife and I settled down to finally watch Jonah Hex... now I knew it wasn't week received but really who knew it was that crap. I think we lasted 35 minutes. The last 25 of those only due to our shared love of the comic. What a steaming pile of poo.

I know I know we should try for constructive critics but that's as constructive as I can get. It made me sad and angry in equal measures. I dread the fact I still have The Spirit on my LoveFilm list!

I enjoyed the Megan Fox bits  :D But yes, it was crap, I watched it with a hangover and thought I should have liked it, but there was something very wrong. Bits were ok on their own but it just didbn't seem to hang together well at all. My sister was there also (with similar hangover) and while she usually enjoys comic based films, she didn't this time. I was also reminded of the baseball coach from The Cleveland show  :D

Good hangover film: Transporter 3

NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Professor Bear

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 13 October, 2011, 12:46:14 PMIs the movie really so bad that i- with next to no history with the character, and hoping for only a 'sort of scary western' featuring a hero with a strange mouth- would be disappointed?

I have no investment in Jonah Hex beyond watching the stories in the various Batman cartoons in which he appeared, but I did watch the film thinking it couldn't be that terrible.  I guess if you liked the Will Smith version of Wild Wild West but thought it had too many jokes you might like Jonah Hex, but otherwise I'm stumped to figure out who it's aimed at - it isn't funny or scary, there's not that much in the way of steampunk tech or horror, no archetypal comic book moments, no likeable characters, no standout action scenes or scenery chewing from the cast, no witty lines, no clever twists - it's like someone somewhere decided they just needed a movie featuring the character and made one and then moved on with their day.  It just exists.