Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheldipez

Quote from: Recrewt on 10 October, 2013, 11:14:56 AM
Yup, they did a fantastic job on District 9 with some of the design elements.  It seems to be really hard to come up with decent aliens in movies - I have seen far more rubbish ones than decent ones.  The ones in D19 were different and believable.  I also thought the mothership (or whatever it was) was good too - nowadays we seem to be bombarded with floppy CGI spaceships whereas this one looked like it had real 'mass' to it.

I thought they were supposed to be doing a sequel to this?

Last I heard there was a treatment for the sequel but Blomkamp was busy so didn't think he'd get around to it anytime soon. Whether the studio will get someone else is another thing.

radiator

I thought the robots in Elysium were by far the most convincing cgi 'characters' I've ever seen in a film - they had a real weight to them. Shame they didn't apply the same level of polish to the script or story...

As for D9, I think what makes the film work is that it is first and foremost a character piece, then at the end, it just goes bananas, with some of the most awesome, crazy action scenes I have ever seen in anything. The commentary on/parallels with immigration, segregation etc is there, and yes it's a little on the nose, but it isn't really ever at the forefront - it just adds a little meat on the bones of a terrific sci-fi action thriller.

If you want to talk about heavy-handed social commentary smothering a film, watch Elysium....

willthemightyW

Filth, I enjoyed it :P S'all I'm gonna say. Scratch that, I really enjoyed it.

Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Goaty

Just watch 12 Monkeys on DVD, not see it for years, and still brilliant film! So brutal time travel! Bruce and Brad was so good!

I do like its clever editing to the end, as you just forgot about Bruce's dream till when you just saw the boy.  Brilliant!

JamesC

Now I want to watch 12 Monkeys! Haven't seen it in years. Best telephone weaponisation in film!

Mabs

I also want to watch 12 Monkey's again, it's been years. That and Gilliam's other time travelling caper, Time.Bandits. And Brazil too! Those trio of films are Gilliam's best. I wish he would do something in that same vein again.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Hawkmumbler

Watching Time Bandits right now on a spanking new BD from Arrow Video. Its still bloody good stuff.

Mabs

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 10 October, 2013, 08:29:10 PM
Watching Time Bandits right now on a spanking new BD from Arrow Video. Its still bloody good stuff.

And so it should be - it was one of my favourite films growing up as a kid in the 80's! Of course stuff like Star Wars and Indiana Jones were my favourite brain food as a child, but there were films such as Time Bandits or Q The Winged Serpent (which I was allowed to watch late at night with my grandparents!) that were real treats at the time. I remember 'The Head' from Time Bandits ("give me the map!") used to scare the bejesus out of me (and probably still does!).  :lol:
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Goaty

Still amazing that they got Sean Connery for it, David Warner so brilliant creepy as the Evil!

von Boom

Brilliant film Time Bandits. I must get a hold of it and watch it again. Off to amazon for 24hr shipping...

Dark Jimbo

'And how long have you been a thief...?'
'Four foot three, sir.'
'Four foot three? My goodness, that is a long time.'

:lol:
@jamesfeistdraws

JamesC

Time Bandits is terrifically creepy and the Robin Hood section is hilarious!
Sean Connery's fatherly Agamemnon is wonderful.

Proteus4

prior to seeing 12 monkeys, which i was really looking forward to, i was out with a group of friends.  I said "hey I'm going to see 12 monkeys tomorrow night, I'm really excited about it" (or something like that).

Andrew Hamilton, for he should be named and shamed, said "oh yeah, i saw that a few nights ago.  I didn't really like it.  I'm not sure what it was about.  I mean, at the start of the film bruce willis is having like a memory of something he saw and at the end of the film [spoiler]he realises he saw himself as an adult getting shot when he was a kid.[/spoiler] I don't think that's a spoiler.  Is that a spoiler? anyway, i didn't get it."

Yeah, that was actually a big spoiler mate. thanks
dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Proteus4 on 11 October, 2013, 12:55:19 AM
prior to seeing 12 monkeys, which i was really looking forward to, i was out with a group of friends.  I said "hey I'm going to see 12 monkeys tomorrow night, I'm really excited about it" (or something like that).

Andrew Hamilton, for he should be named and shamed, said "oh yeah, i saw that a few nights ago.  I didn't really like it.  I'm not sure what it was about.  I mean, at the start of the film bruce willis is having like a memory of something he saw and at the end of the film [spoiler]he realises he saw himself as an adult getting shot when he was a kid.[/spoiler] I don't think that's a spoiler.  Is that a spoiler? anyway, i didn't get it."

dave

Yeah, But I clocked that from the opening scene, so it wasn't much of a twist for me...

Proteus4

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 11 October, 2013, 01:26:44 AM
Quote from: Proteus4 on 11 October, 2013, 12:55:19 AM

dave

Yeah, But I clocked that from the opening scene, so it wasn't much of a twist for me...

ooh, get you!
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.