Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grugz

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 16 October, 2014, 04:58:49 PM
That nearly tipped it a higher classification but they were able to keep it in the end.

it is difficult trying to keep little ones sheltered from such things, mines 9 now but from the word go every bus trip involved someone ,either kids or adults unable to talk in the middle of the day without swearing ,I still try especially when xboxing  but some slip through ,playing assasins creed 4 the only time she was in the room after playing for ages did someone drop a bomb ,the wife has a particular look she gives me when that happens as if I knew it would ::)
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Theblazeuk

I dunno. I cherished new swear words as a kid. It was like building the forbidden library, apocrypha passed around on the playground. Knew you were on to something when you heard your folks say one of em.

F and S words were in the vocab by 9. 'Twat' wasn't unfortunately, so when I chickened out of calling my dead a twit mid-sentence I ended up choosing the wrong vowel.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 17 October, 2014, 01:07:41 PM
I dunno. I cherished new swear words as a kid. It was like building the forbidden library, apocrypha passed around on the playground. Knew you were on to something when you heard your folks say one of em.

F and S words were in the vocab by 9.

Yeah. I definitely had pretty much a full set by the time I left junior school, a result of being a very precocious reader and reading at adult level by that age... my parents exercised (now that I think about it!) remarkably little control over my reading material!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Goaty

Don't think the swears was the reason why Dredd is 18. There is many films in 15 with too many swearings like 4 Weddings and Funeral etc...

It was cos of heavy violence, drugs, and Dredd himself :)

Frank

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 17 October, 2014, 08:45:22 AM
Quote from: sauchie outbreak on 16 October, 2014, 09:35:29 PM
I would have liked it better if they'd just called the film Cowboys, and forgotten about the little green fellers who were after their lucky charms.

You are Roger Ebert and I . . . need some Vick's VapoRub.

It's a rubbish film about aliens *, but it was a half-decent cowboy film. I just wished the film had concentrated on the bits it did well, rather than the stuff that honked like a goose farting in the fog.

* Gold, really? They wanted gold and they came to Earth, even though there's barely enough gold above or below ground to fill a block of council flats, yet it seems to be abundant almost everywhere else in the universe? Those aliens were only making like Tony Hadley because if you need to explain why aliens are bothering Earth then asset stripping is about as plausible an excuse as anyone has thought of yet, and Independence Day has already bagsied WATER as the resource in question, while V already bagsied meat farming AND WATER as a cover story. And what's with the second set of tiny, rubbery hands they keep behind the door that swings open to conveniently expose their vital organs? Why would you need a second set of tiny, rubbery hands, and why would you need them next to your heart and lungs? Why would you keep your precious innards behind a door that swings open?

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: sauchie outbreak on 17 October, 2014, 08:00:29 PM
Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 17 October, 2014, 08:45:22 AM
Quote from: sauchie outbreak on 16 October, 2014, 09:35:29 PM
I would have liked it better if they'd just called the film Cowboys, and forgotten about the little green fellers who were after their lucky charms.

You are Roger Ebert and I . . . need some Vick's VapoRub.

It's a rubbish film about aliens . . .

Don't disagree. The Sci Fi element was something I 'member yer man Ebert sigh-fying about, too.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Frank

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 17 October, 2014, 09:19:53 PM
The Sci Fi element was something I 'member yer man Ebert sigh-fying about, too.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/cowboys-and-aliens-2011

I hadn't read that before, honest - but since we seem simpatico, I now look forward to reading Ebert's reviews of new films every week.

Ebert rolls his eyes at the dodgy reasoning behind the aliens kidnapping humans to study them, but neglects to mention that this is further rationalised as being in order to understand how to defeat humans. This line is delivered shortly after a scene where the aliens bomb 19th century farmers from the air with jet fighters, and just before a scene where the much larger and more physically powerful aliens (who are largely unharmed by firearms) stab humans to death with the sharp pointy bits on the end of their arms and bite them to death with their big, sharp, pointy teeth.

ThryllSeekyr

As mentioned seeing the film Dracula : Untold or should I say BarDracula : Should Not Be Shown.

Where do I start....wishing I had written this earlier when it was fresher in mind.

Just like Thor, I couldn't place his exact accent, but I doubt it would be right for a Turk prefer Gary Oldman's in this respect. I actually prefer Bram Stoker's : Dracula on most levels.

What I will talk about next will contain definite spoilers.

[spoiler]As the story goes he has adopted brother who seems more like Arab or a type of one or someone similar who demands his son for his personal army of young boys that as a result of having their normal lives stolen from them, will kill or die or both without fear or remorse. Yet, I think a lot of people do this in those times and still in these times as well and while the employing of young boys is looked down upon. It's my assumption that this should have been very common place in those days (Just think of Slaine and how he was taught all those Red Branch skills from the age of 11.) and most probably still is. Like, any minor under the age of eighteen can almost get away with murder because of their age. At times when I wasn't too zoned out to pay attention I noticed this Dracula (Hey, look it's Bard from The Hobbit films and there is more!) person entered a cave with his personal retinue of soldiers and encounter a strange feral beast of man who scares the bejesus of them and I think this is where he is first bitten. Dracula that is  and not the strange gangrel (Appropiate word taken from the name of the most feral of Vampire Clans in a popular role playing game call Vampire the Masquerade and it was used to describe Smeagol/Gollum in the appropiate literature. (I know not which right now!).) man and we fast forward to scene where Dracula scales a rocky cliff to find entrance into the lair of this creature yet again and accept his supernatural gift of unholy immortality by drinking from the make shift toilet bowl (Made from the skull cap of earlier visitor.) of Charles Dance and suddenly finding himself lying on some rocks broaching some watery rapids which is normally a huge no-no for traditional vamps. As they can't cross running water and I think that includes what he was doing. Is he about to stand in a ray of sunlight and glitter :-\. No, but he did this morphing into a flock (Or is that a murder?) of bats thing that seemed a tad bit to awesome for this vampire neonate or was he now the other after he did a sneaky switch bodies thing with him. You see, the other fellow who under more light seemed more of Nosferatu with pallid scale ridden flesh and rats like fangs who said that he was original vampire who was bitten by a even more original vampire before him and cursed to the confines of this cave lair toilet (Trust me that last is a Game of Thrones reference ;)) until such a time that Dracula or himself as Dracula will undo his curse and set him free. The fact that he is known as the Master Vampirefrom the rolling credits right at the end the whole ting about him being confined to this lair until such a time that his progeny has siphoned enough blood back to him sounds exactly like the very same premise for the first and last episode for season one of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Both vampires look very similar....

Did I mention similar names?

Both were trapped in their dark lairs until their minions had become powerful enough to set them free or until Peter Dinkage shoots one of them with a Crossbow while he's in the privy....

So, where's Sarah Michelle Gellar?

Anyway I guess if Buffy was so popular (I certainly like this show!) it needs to be done over again and again, but I would like to see a return of the Slayer if they are going to steal her arch - nemesis.

[spoiler]So, where was I? Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure he pulled the switch a roo with this younger man. He's more of body thief (Another book of Anne Rice which why he went from having neonate to elder powers so quickly.

[/spoiler]

Eldar Powers like walking around in room with the door or window open letting in rays of light. As I said in another thread ("I like my Werewolves" earlier on this movie thread!) Vampires not only take damage from sunlight, but fear it and the day that comes with it. Yet, I recall even Spike did this a few times in Buffy the Vampire Slayer....

Yet, I don't mind in that instances as the show itself knows that it isn't really meant to be taken as seriously as this film wants people. Joss Weldon had to allow Buffy one hit kills that would cause the vampire to vanish in explosion of it's own dust when ever she scored a direct hit on their heart with her wooden stake. So, she wouldn't have to otherwise dispose of their corpses. Yet, it was Van Helsing from Bram Stoker original story that would use the stake to only pin Dracula to the inside of his coffin while he would either pull back the drapes until the first rays of dawn boil him alive (Or dead!) or cut his head off. While in the  World of Darkness game Vampire the Masquerade it did have a more uncanny ability to completely paralyse the vampire until the Staker or somebody else would remove it.

This was demonstrated in the very first episode of Kindred the Embraced - 7:30 (Just ignore the fact that the Vampire are running around outside while it's close to day!) which was supposed to be a direct interpretation of very same role playing game, but it wasn't really and discontinued because one of the important character leads got himself killed in a motorcycle accident. The actor, not the character he played. This was adapted by the dame very rich fellow who did all those other teen soaps and this was a terrible template for more of the same masquerading the only adaption to classic pen n paper role playing game.

Continued Later.....

Goaty

Strangest, just watch Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves, there's many new scenes not see before! Why was last TV version so many cuts?!

Buttonman

'Fury' - Brad Pitting starring WW2 tank battle extravaganza. Out this week but I got a free preview ticket - thanks Telegraph Readers Club! - wife's not mine. It came with a bonus feature of 30 minutes of the stars taking selfies with fans at the London première - hope that makes the Blu-Ray!

It was quite good. The battles were excellent with a 'Saving Private Ryan' eye for the savagery of battle - the tracer did look a bit ray gun for me though. It followed the exact same narrative as 'Ryan' with a rookie joining the crew, an ill fated meet up with civilians and then a long final battle against impossible odds.

It lacked much in the way of characterisation or decent acting, with Shia LaBouff just crying a lot. Good body count and hardware if you like that sort of thing.

HdE

Quote from: Buttonman on 20 October, 2014, 01:03:56 AM
...with Shia LaBouff just crying a lot.

Pretty much what I'd expect from Shia, of late.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

The Enigmatic Dr X

Edge of Tomorrow.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, until the paradox in the last scene.
Lock up your spoons!

Richmond Clements

Gone Girl. Really disliked the book, but the movies was fantastic.

Satanist

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 20 October, 2014, 07:56:21 AM
Edge of Tomorrow.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, until the paradox in the last scene.

I enjoyed that as well but thought the whole film was constructed like watching your mate play Manic Miner for the first time. Each try they get that bit further in the level and just when they think they've got it beat out jumps a surprise toilet alien and back to the start they go. And yes the ending was pish.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Recrewt

Quote from: Buttonman on 20 October, 2014, 01:03:56 AM
'Fury' - Brad Pitting starring WW2 tank battle extravaganza.

I'd not heard much about this movie until the trailers came out and first time I saw it I got all excited thinking it was about Nick Fury of marvel/shield fame.

Then I remembered Samuel Jackson and realised I was wrong.