Main Menu

Meeting

Started by modde, 22 February, 2008, 06:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modde

I'm based in London, no worry :)
Is there one of you there who draw or write?
I will be glad to show and get comments of my work as soon as I will have something decent and recent to show. My last pages are old, more than 3 years, they don't mean anything anymore now.

pauljholden

Conventions are usually pretty fluid, a good plan is to come along to one to get a feel for the thing, meet lots of people and show your work around to as many people as possible. Do NOT come expecting to get work out of it - you'll go home disappointed.

Ultimately,  the only person with the power to give you work is an editor - there's a couple of DC editors going this year, and, while I don't see 2000ad's name on the comic expo site, they usually turn up to these things.

Hopefully I'll get to Bristol this year. I've sent the second column off to 2000AD review and, from my archives http://www.pauljholden.com/wordpress/index.php?s=advice'>some general portfolio advice.

-pj

modde

Arf, they won't be there as well, by the hell, where are the guy from 2OO0 ad going for sure?
Do you mind, posting other the board samples and pages is a good way or would it be seen as an offense here?  ( I wouldn't break any rules, I know what it could cost ;)
If i can't meet them, I will probably send them something, I would have prefered to get some verbal feedback. Anyway, I will prepare new stuff and be back soon :)

pauljholden

"where are the guy from 2OO0 ad going for sure? "

Keep an eye on the website, but I'd be surprised if 2000AD's editorial team didn't have some sort of showing at the convention.

By all means post artwork up - no-one will be offended (unless, you know, it's actually offensive...)

The Bristol convention is STILL a good place to get verbal feedback (even if 2000AD don't turn up for it - although I think they will), most of the artists based in the UK usually attend these things and while they're not in any position to give you work they're usually more than happy to give advice (while selling artwork/comics/sketches).

-pj

modde

Guys, wish me f""king good luck for this immersive session with myself during the few next weeks, that's quiet painfull sometime :/ Thx at all of you for the answers, specially you Mister PJ, if I'm crazy enough to post something other there, if it's damm good, you would have to promote me to introduce me in the 2000ad's team now ;)
Deal? ;)

House of Usher

In terms of just the fans who are going to the May event in Bristol, I'm expecting to see the following there, and more:

Wils - he draws (Solar Wind, The End is Nigh)
Rac - he writes (MangaQuake, Something Wicked)
Larf - he draws
Johnny Eyebrows - he draws (Solar Wind, FutureQuake)
Bart Diaz - he draws (cover of Omnivistascope)
Bolt-01 - he draws (Lost Property, FutureQuake, Dogbreath)
Paul Scott - he writes (Omnivistascope, Solar Wind)
Krombasher (maybe he'll be there) - he draws and writes (Overkill)
Queen Firey-Bou - she draws (FutureQuake)
Natsan - she draws, and gets paid to draw comics
Satchmo - he draws and writes (Solar Wind, Magic Beans Comics)
WoD - he writes (FutureQuake, MangaQuake, Jon & Gorath)
Byron Virgo - he writes (Pony School, Action Stations, Something Wicked)
Al Ewing - he writes (for 2000ad!)

2000ad always has a presence there - artists (D'Israeli, Dom Reardon), writers (Al Ewing, Ian Edginton), and the editor - even if they're not actively promoting the comic.
STRIKE !!!

modde

House of usher, is there in the list of drawers you have mentionned a way to see their productions or to reach them somehow in London?

House of Usher

No. But if you use this website's search function to look for message threads like 'art comp', 'small press' 'self-pimping' 'FutureQuake' 'Omnivistascope' you'll see some examples, sometimes with links to other sites for those publications or artists' own websites. Some kind people may want to add their links here on this thread too.
STRIKE !!!

pauljholden

2000AD is based in Oxford, as I've said, most of the artists/writers are based all round the country. Few, if any, live in London.

- pj

House of Usher

Here's one thread I managed to find, promoting Pony School and Action Stations, two fine comics created by (among others) Byron virgo, Brian Coyle, Queen Firey-Bou, Richmond Clements and Bolt-01.

There are links within the thread too.

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/?zone=fan&page=messagethread&choice=15045&Comic=&Replies=53" target="_blank">Action Stations and Pony School

STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

Here's a message thread promoting FutureQuake:

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/?zone=fan&page=messagethread&choice=20948" target="_blank">FutureQuake...

STRIKE !!!

modde

I have heard about warhammer, do they publish comics books pages as well?
Out 2000ad which seems to be the main editor here in uk ( are they?) who else is there, is there anything for childrens for exemple?
Who else could be reached?

Large48

Al Ewing also does wicked doodles, especially on his scripts!!!!!!

Oh yes
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

modde

How can I post images other there to introduce myself a better way?
My idea will be to meet artist based on London, personns ready to share tips, critics and motivation. I miss writers as well :)

House of Usher

To post images you need to get an account with an image hosting website, like photobucket, for instance, upload your images to that, and then put the image URL in the appropriate box in your message. Delete the coding from each end of the URL, because they're not needed here.
STRIKE !!!