Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Hurrah, finally finished the re-read of Name of the Rose.  All my niggles and doubts about obvious murderers and even more obviously anachronistic references vanished as the true purpose of the novel is revealed in the final pages.  Now I see why I remembered it as being so brilliant.  Well worth what turned out to be a very slow read.

Emperor

Quote from: Kerrin on 18 August, 2009, 07:34:45 PMI thought "The Prefect" was excellent.

Finished and yes indeed it was - he has yet to disappoint and I can't recommend the books highly enough. I've read most of them (House of Suns next and I'm back up to speed in time for Terminal World) and you can't really go wrong but if you are going to get into the Revelation Space stories (and you should) then it makes sense to read them in order as I suspect they make more sense that way):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alastair_Reynolds#Novels
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Kerrin

If you are a Reynolds fan then you may want to check this out. It's Alastair reading a short future war story of his called "Scales". Exclusive to the Guardian apparently, though it has to be said his writing is way better than his reading.

Can't wait for "Terminal World".

Roger Godpleton

Found Inherent Vice in MK Library quite by accident t'other week. It's very good, funny like Pynchon usually is even if I don't know what's going on in the first read through. Hopefully it will be a decent primer for my annual attempt at Gravity's Rainbow. I'll get all the way through it this time. Oh yes I will.

Also read Balzac's Droll Stories. I'm still a neophyte, having only read Lost Illusions so I found it almost twee at first, but all my doubts faded once I got to The Succubus.

I've read all the good GNs at MKL at least twice and most of the cape stuff there so it looks like I may be reduced to Star Wars comics *shudder*. That, or actually buying GNs.

PS. Boobs, Your Mom, Meat based sandwich etc.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Odd_Bloke

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 27 August, 2009, 10:37:13 PM
I've read all the good GNs at MKL at least twice and most of the cape stuff there so it looks like I may be reduced to Star Wars comics *shudder*. That, or actually buying GNs.
Have you looked into requesting them from the library?  I know that the Peterborough libraries accept requests (though I don't know that they always fulfil them).

Richmond Clements

Love the Joker Fish story- they adapted it for the Animated Series a number of years back.

Mike Gloady

Quote from: Odd_Bloke on 27 August, 2009, 10:42:43 PM
Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 27 August, 2009, 10:37:13 PM
Have you looked into requesting them from the library?  I know that the Peterborough libraries accept requests (though I don't know that they always fulfil them).
My mate does that, if she really likes something she buys a copy for her shelf - a very wise move.  And as a result her local library is full of really good GNs, thus sorting out all her neighbours with good reading. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

TordelBack

Quote...if you are going to get into the Revelation Space stories (and you should) then it makes sense to read them in order as I suspect they make more sense that way):

I'd recommend tackling at least some of the Reynolds short story collection Galactic North first, especially the superb story "The Great Wall of Mars" (also available in the old anthology Spectrum SF, and I think the Dozois Best New SF collection for 2000 too), which is the real starting point for the Revelation Space universe and certain key characters.    It's also a cracker.

strontium_dog_90

I've just picked up the Ian Rankin Hellblazer graphic novel "Dark Entries" on import - got it yesterday, which made it a pretty impressive day; I also found out one of my stories has been accepted for a prose magazine :-)

I'd recommend the book to anyone who's a fan of Rankin, ghostly goings on, or the slightly satirical subject matter. If you can get your hands on it before the UK release date, still listed by Amazon as early October, do so - it's a gem.

Mike Gloady

Looking forward to that one, Stronty.  What's not to like?  Constantine written by Rankin?  Sounds ideal.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Richmond Clements

Just read #3 of Morrison and Quietly's Batman and Robin.

By god it's good comics.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 28 August, 2009, 04:02:12 PM

By god it's good comics.

Oh, yes. Yes it is. First mainstream superhero comic in over a decade that's made me think of setting up a regular order. That's how good it is.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

The last page reveal gave me goosebumps. Cannot wait for the next issue!

Odd_Bloke

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 August, 2009, 04:06:54 PM

By god it's good comics.

Oh, yes. Yes it is. First mainstream superhero comic in over a decade that's made me think of setting up a regular order. That's how good it is.

I've got the first couple of these, and enjoyed them, so I do plan on picking up the third.

Does anyone know when Morrison and Quitely's run ends (and where I can find that sort of information myself)?

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Odd_Bloke on 28 August, 2009, 04:13:19 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 August, 2009, 04:06:54 PM

By god it's good comics.

I've got the first couple of these, and enjoyed them, so I do plan on picking up the third.

Does anyone know when Morrison and Quitely's run ends (and where I can find that sort of information myself)?

Quietly finishes with issue 3, I think, then there are 2 other artists for 3 issues stints (Frazer Irvine and someone else I can't remember) and then Frank's back for the final 3.