Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Stephan

Finished the Complete Case Files 10 and tracked down a copy of Metalzoic. Loving Kevin O'Neill in this. Next stop Marshall Law - well, if DC goes ahead with the reprint - no sign of it yet.

Evil Pants

Quote from: Alski on 21 February, 2012, 07:41:30 PM
"Horns" by Joe Hill (Steven King Jr)

Fucking brilliant so far. His debut was one of the best horrors in years.

Great book. The Cape mini that is based on one of his short stories is really quite good.
My opinions on comics can be found here: http://fourcoloursandthetruth.wordpress.com/

Webcomics, as written by me, can be found here: http://condoofmystery.com/

Judo

stephen king is a master of atmosphere and has some genuinely quite creepy stuff to be reading on your own in a dark house. Sometimes I forget just how good he is as he is so cliched these days but everytime I start reading I'm amazed just how good he is :) x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Gonk

Finally got round to reading "Island of the Damned" which came with MEG 319. Yes I really enjoyed that story.

I had a hardback book collection of short stories by Stephen King, many moons ago, which was one of my most treasured possessions, Judo. It had a picture similar to this on the cover:

Around this time I started getting interested in tarot cards. Which me brings me to my latest read .... "Moonchild" by English occultist Aleister Crowley. What I like about this one is the way it shows how people can be drawn into a religous cult, it shows some of the psychology into that process of brainwashing.

coming at a cinema near you soon

Judo

I used to read tarot at weddings - something about booze and watching other people being happy which = mega bucks. I would take a couple of the bad cards out (the tower and a couple of the swords), I know that's cheating but hey noone wanted bad news, only a little hope for the future! Would be tempted if funds ran low. crowley is such an interesting character I'm expecting a big biopic at some point. I had the pleasure of leafing through a first ed of one of his satanic bibles after chats with a very nice book lady. Copies sell for over a grand! x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

TordelBack

Quote from: Judo on 23 February, 2012, 02:33:29 PM
I used to read tarot at weddings

There's a Future Shock in that somewhere!  Well, it shocks me at least - people have tarot readings at weddings?  I'm used to all the promises and entreaties to the Sky Man that tend to go on at other people's weddings, but actual divination is a new one.  The only time Tarot has really interested me outside of an Alan Moore book is when Jane Seymour drew The Lovers, and I'd have thought entrails would have had more impact.

Gonk

Freida Harris who painted the Crowley pack married Lovecraft if I'm not mistaken.

Divination using cards is just superstition of course Tordel, I like the symbols and secret codes in the cards and see it more as a story book than as something with mysterious qualities. I like the cheap vulgar fairground booth smell of the tarot, and it's opposition to the neat enclosed boundaries of a normal novel which is divided up into chapters and so on.

Judo, didn't Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden make a film not so long ago? Think it got some bad reviews. If you don't admire him for his views you can at least admire his moutaineering skills. As you say, an interesting character in some ways, a lot of his philosophy doesn't appeal to me though at all, at all.   

Bolt-01

I'm currently reading (and enjoying now that I've gotten a quarter of the way through) Nemesis by James Swallow. It is a novel set in the Warhammer universe.

Fonky- I believe that the King collection you had was Danse Macabre- which if memory serves is the original home for the mist.

Albion

Quote from: fonky on 23 February, 2012, 07:41:20 PM
didn't Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden make a film not so long ago?

Bruce made the film The Chemical Wedding, in which a professor is possessed by the spirit of Aleister Crowley.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0974536/

It's not very good.

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

CrazyFoxMachine

Gonk

That's the one Bolt, thanks I remember now. Along with a collection of Edgar Allen Poe it was my favourite book!

I'll have to watch this film.

TordelBack

Daredevil #9, by Waid, the Riveras and Rodriguez.  Now I'm not much of a Daredevil fan, but on th advice of some here I've been drifting in and out of this new run through fair means and foul, and with this issue I'd have to conclude that if you don't enjoy this, you probably don't like comics much. 

Seriously, it has this in it:

That, for the spoiler-inclined is[spoiler] a procession of the Mole Man's creatures stealing all the coffins from a cemetery, including Matt's father's, and carting them off through the lava-filled karstic caverns and subterranean rivers that run under Manhattan (which actually has a hard metamorphic schist/gneiss/marble bedrock, hence the skyscpaers, but I digress...), for undisclosed purposes.  Meanwhile, the Black Cat is cracking an adamantium safe in Matt's apartment that contains a mysterious Fantastic Four chest-logo...[/spoiler].  A better use of the inherent craziness of living in an old superhero universe, and a double splash page, I have seldom seen.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 February, 2012, 09:00:25 AM
Daredevil #9 and with this issue I'd have to conclude that if you don't enjoy this, you probably don't like comics much. 

I've not read this particular issue as I'm a DD trade-waiter, but I've blathered about the current DD run elsewhere on the forum. As you say the current run is almost a love letter to the medium. It uses comics and their strengths as a storytelling medium and art form in a way that so few comics do, mainstream or otherwise do. I've say the current Flash run tries similar things but far less successfully.

In a world were comics can often try to model themselves on perceived common ground they have with movies (or be used to market themselves as possible movie material in the worst cases), its such a delight to read something that delights in being a comic and doesn't forget that they are an art form unfettered by the boundaries that limit other media, particularly cinema and TV.

Spikes

Mr Postman has just delivered Next Men - Aftermath, which is a 5(?) issue epilogue for John Byrnes Next Men which finished last year.
Originally it was intended to run for 10 or more issues, but Mr Byrne claims that a recent Dr Who beat him to the punch story-wise, so re-writing and scaling down has shaped this conclusion.
I must admit ive greatly enjoyed this series since it started in the early 90's. One of those rare beasts in my collection that i bought by recommendation.

Gonk

Crossroads that came with MEG320. Didn't think it was much cop to begin with but after a second perusal I found it to be better than I thought at first. I liked the feminine perspective and the mirror motiff interwoven with Durahm Red's fantasy of devouring the planet then the galaxy and finally the universe. The usual zombies and vampires were o.k as well.

Reading Aldous Huxley's "Ape and Essence" which is a story (film script to be precise) within a story. I like the fact that as events are related we are aware of the fictitious author's presence in the construction of his saga. We notice his personality as script writer printed on the telling of the events in the story, which gives it the atmosphere of an old bmovie with rickety scenery and unconvincing special effects.

The film script itself takes place in a sort of Mad Max post nuclear world. There is a soundtrack to it with singing apes, two Einstiens on opposing sides of armies, weird post atomic mutations and scavenger groups with bizarre rituals and beliefs. The old writer even includes his gravestone at the end of his film (which never got made) that the two main characters discover and ponder on.