Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Paid man to clean the gutters, because of my dodgy knee. He washed a blockage further into the downspout and I found it the other night when it was overflowing through the top of the basement door. So I created a catcher bucket out of a rubbish bin and an old length of hose, then dismantled the downspout in the darkness and the downpour, accidentally didn't break any of the things I dropped and with the help of a new neighbor managed to rebuild everything and drip off to bed.

This maybe belongs in the good news thread - all's well that ends well!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

That new neighbour sounds like a keeper - first helping you with your overflowing spout in the dark and then into bed...

I have a dodgy elbow, which I broke when I was about eight or nine and is always now stiff and sore. Yesterday I was fixing our beehive and a bee stung me on this very elbow. Once the pain of the sting wore off, the stiffness and soreness of my mangled joint went away, at least for the time being. Result!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

The Legendary Shark

Given my advancing years, it's more like Men Beehiving Baldly.

I'll get our coats...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

I've only just come to appreciate how dependent on our phones we have become when mine refused to charge last week and died.

Tried to use my laptop to log into various websites - work systems, and also my bank to move some money ... "we have sent a security code to your phone..." AAAARGH!! I also had to borrow an alarm clock as I use my phone for that. I was expecting some deliveries on Sunday, almost missed them as I was unable to receive any of the texts and phonecalls telling me that they're on their way.

Took it to the shop as I'm overdue an upgrade but they couldn't do anything as I couldn't remember my apple password. Went back with that and am picking up a new phone tonight, but it's been a hassle of a weekend.

Tjm86

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 20 September, 2021, 10:29:26 AM

Given my advancing years, it's more like Men Beehiving Baldly.

I'll get our coats...

You might want a hat too ... it's getting a bit nippy now ...  ;-)

milstar

When you do not own anything bigger than your shabby apartment, yet you receive dozen phone calls because a newspaper gave an ad in which you are looking for a bartender for your own restaurant. I wish very soon to wake up tomorrow.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Hawkmumbler

Not often I'd describe redundancy as a 'minor impediment' but as I decided to resign from my management role of a indie picture house after just one month it really was the best option for me. I put a not inconsiderable amount of work into attempting to sustain the venture under great pressures, as well as make the preparations and research required to advance the brand to the next stage of its development, efforts for which where promptly shot down, all while dealing with some frequently toxic circumstances.
Things came to ahead last weekend when I realized I was effectively a manager without agency or authority, and was mostly being used as a front and fall guy for the owner, and decided the time to move on was right. Its infuriating that a dream job in a field you adore opens up but proves unviable due to clashing philosophies on how to handle the business.

I hope I can eventually settle into the same role elsewhere, as I was good at it  and enjoyed it greatly, in spite of the hinderances.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 October, 2021, 02:48:13 PM
...I was effectively a manager without agency or authority, and was mostly being used as a front and fall guy for the owner...

This was my experience as a pub manager, and I suspect it's the same for most managers in small businesses, you're just a glorified key-holder, all responsibility and no power.

At least you might be able to avoid Marvel movies for a while.
You may quote me on that.

Hawkmumbler

Glad to know its a universal nuisance. Anyway, already landed a new job at the same rate of pay so my anxiety over having to cancel the move has pretty much been averted.

Peaks and valleys and all that.

Dandontdare

Nothing to compete with exploding boats, redundancy or depression, but this last couple of weeks has just been one annoying shitshow after another.

First my phone just died - could not get a charge in. No problem, I thought, everything I do on my phone I can do on my laptop. Until I tried logging into my bank, work systems, Amazon etc ... "We have sent a code to your phone...." This was also the day when I was getting a new cooker delivered between 7am and 7pm .. "we will text you an ETA and call when we're on our way...."

Got a new phone, and headed to the cashpoint. Got so distracted taking down the details of a free draw advertised on the screen, I walked away without taking my cash - somebody got an early £200 Christmas present. As I'd drawn my limit, had to wait to next day to get some cash. Cashpoint crashed and shut down halfway through, stealing my card. My new card should have been here in 3-5 working days - today is day 8 since I reported it. I've had to get time off work this afternoon to visit the branch in the City Centre as I'm skint and the fridge is empty.

And today, I turned up to work to find I'd lost my pass and they wouldn't let me in the building (I've worked there for 20 years). Took a while to sort out - had to call my manager at home, who logged the request and texted me the reference so they could issue a new one - all time that I will have to make up later.

All minor niggles, but taken together this month does seem to have it in for me.

Proudhuff

Yeah a mislaid wallet and phone, at slightly different times, makes me feel your pain, good luck getting back on track!
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 October, 2021, 03:02:14 PM

Jeez, DDD - Kafka would be proud.

I presume it's that imposter Franz fella you're talking about and not the real Kafka?  :)

But ah, that sucks, DDD. Sorry for your troubles and here's hoping that Fortuna goes into upswing mode for you soon.