Main Menu

Dragon wars. D-Wars

Started by vzzbux, 16 August, 2009, 08:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

Brought this for the missus the other day on blue ray.
Not what I was expecting. Some of the CGI was a bit lame and the acting was very hammy. No where near enough action for my liking, but she liked it so not a total loss.
Just a warning to anyone who wants to get this that are expecting all out war, But I am sure to be barracked as I bet there are a few of you who like this one..

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

I, Cosh

If it's the Korean one, it jumped off the shelf at me in Tesco about six months ago and it's still languishing in the shrink wrap unwatched.
We never really die.

vzzbux

It is set in Los Angeles but there is a lot of reference to the Korean legend and quite a bit of background based in Korea

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

mygrimmbrother

I think I bought a duff copy. Every other subtitle wasn't finished -

'I am the guardian of the-'

'For centuries I have-'

Maybe they spent all the budget on training dragons?

Radbacker

c'mon, you gotta give it a go, it god damn Dinosaurs with Rockets on their bascks fighting Helicopters and Tanks whats not to love big budget US remake here we come.

CU Radbacker

ThryllSeekyr

I thought it looked interesting when I watched the trailer on You-tube and then I noticed it listed on Box Office cable ( Pay per veiw.) late last year.

They it took off before the time I had elocated to watch this and now it's on regular cable, but only on the movie channels that we don't have in our pakage deal.

As I noticed it advertised the other day.

Am I really missing anything here.

Maybe I should just settle for Kunfu Panda.

Tiplodocus

"If it's the Korean one, it jumped off the shelf at me in Tesco about six months ago and it's still languishing in the shrink wrap unwatched. "

Cosh,  I'll go halfers on the cost with you if I can borrow it. Tiny Tips likes his dragons and this sounds like it may be dumb fun.

Oh and after Dean Castle I bought your mates EP and have been playing it in the car; very good stuff.  (I was too shy to get a photo taken with Lloyd Cole but I did go up and shake his hand).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

bluemeanie

I was disappointed when I saw this as the trailer made it look much more fun.

Maybe without expectations I woulda enjoyed it more.

Natsan

It's an awful film more due to the fact that it comes across as some three hour epic that's been hacked and slashed down to 60 minutes, so the story jumps all over the place.
It has one redeeming feature though and that's the massive good dragon/bad dragon fight at the end, so if you can pick up a copy in the bargain bin it'll be worthwhile just for that. It's the only reason mine didn't get binned.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 18 August, 2009, 12:45:29 PM
Cosh,  I'll go halfers on the cost with you if I can borrow it. Tiny Tips likes his dragons and this sounds like it may be dumb fun.

Oh and after Dean Castle I bought your mates EP and have been playing it in the car; very good stuff.  (I was too shy to get a photo taken with Lloyd Cole but I did go up and shake his hand).
It's yours if you want it.

He has badges!
We never really die.

I, Cosh

I just watched this and thought it was pretty good fun. The big dogfight around the skyscrapers was what Reign of Fire should've been like and the bit where it's eating the elephant was class.

Dodgy CG and and odd jobs in the plot to be sure, but I'd put it in the same class as The Beastmaster. Much better than GI Joe in other words.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Tiny Tips loves it - he's made us watch it half a dozen times.

I quite enjoyed it too while realising that it was more than a bit crap.

Highlights include the Chinese Dragon at the end (it's not often you see these realised in motion and made for an enjoyably different experience, the helicopter + tanks vs. dragons smackdown among the skyscrapers, the completely over the top attack on the Korean village and the fact that it's actually a tiny bit of Korea coming across the pond. 

Oh and of course the sheer glory of the bad Imoogi; a gigantic displaced phallus chasing a hot 19 year old girl around LA.

Lowlights included the fact it was obviously meant to be twice as long, had absolutely no character development, leads that lacked any form of charisma and, for that matter actually weren't that hot and the fact that despiet all of the pyrotechnics on display, the people engaged in battle weren't ones you'd invested any time with so it was all empty spectacle.  The effects were good and fun but not brilliant and photo-realistic.

But I've certainly spent worse time in the company of much more critically lauded films...

Tiplodocus

And of course thanks to Cosh for posting it on.

Isn't tax-payer funded internal mail marvellous?