Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Comic Book Day Megathread  (Read 380085 times)

CalHab

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
Re: New Comic Book Day Megathread
« Reply #2820 on: 30 September, 2022, 11:51:54 AM »
My daughter hasn't been enjoying the Moon Girl crossovers as much as the series. Hopefully it picks up.

Having moved across the water, I'm now getting my comics from a new local shop. It's made an absolute mess of my reading, and nearly all my back issues are in a container waiting to be loaded. Still, the new shop has an amazing selection of back issues.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: 30 September, 2022, 12:03:41 PM »
There's going to be a new ongoing (or extended mini) as well. I assuming to tie in to the new telly show.

Link Prime

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: 11 November, 2022, 11:36:49 AM »
Holy modern comics suck Batman!
Is there anything on the shelves these days worth reading?

Yes there is old chum, yes there is; The 'Black Label' Batman books.

I brooded over the following new releases this week:

Batman & The Joker: The Deadly Duo 1; A Marc Silvestri joint. The artwork is unsurprisingly a scorching 10/10, and the writing is surprisingly decent. I've loved Silvestri for as long as I can remember and would find it difficult to pass on anything he produces, particularly a high profile gig like this. I'm in - issues 2 & 3 pre-ordered.
Riddler Year One 1; This is set in the 2022 "The Batman" movie continuity, and is written by yer man who played The Riddler in the movie - Paul Dano. Surprisingly excellent - and I mean excellent. I'm in for the full run on this one too.
Batman: Beyond The White Knight 7; SGM's third "White Knight" series, and by far the weakest of the three. The script is the Achilles Heel of course - painfully contrived for the entire series. Only one issue left in this run, so I will finish it. Even if this series leaves a sour taste in the mouth I will probably be back for more down the line - the artwork is just too frickin good.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: 13 November, 2022, 08:13:09 PM »
Its been an age since I posted here for various reasons I won't bore you with. So need to catch up BUT no way I'm going to review as normal, far too many. So instead since I'm thinking of a purge I'm going to review by series and say how close to removal from my pull list each series is. So we start with finished so no point worrying:

Alice Ever After (5) - Interesting would pick up second series if it happened.

Antman (2-4) - will be picking up the Wasp series that follows this. Pretty good fun.

Dogs of London (4 + 5) - One of the many Milligan IP factory minis. One of the weakest but good enough.

Moon Girl and... (Avengers + X-Men) - Well it wasn't great, but my affection for the character means I'll be getting the up coming mini.

Slumber (6) - This is meant to be ongoing. I'm not holding my breathe but will pick up more if they land.

Still going and risk of chop:

Absolution (3 + 4) - One of many Pete Milligan current IP factory minis - and a belter. Safe as houses.

Chicken Devils (1) -  new mini from this fun series; safe

Daredevil (2 - 4) - not a DD I'm digging, on the edge of going, but has a little rope.

Han Solo & Chewbacca (5+6) - You are right on the cusp. A book about Han and Chewie shouldn't be dull!

Human Target (7 + 8 + Tales of) - Safe as houses

I Hate this Place (4 + 5) - I love Kyle Starks but this is so close - so disappointing and lost.

Jonna and the Unpossible Monsters (11) - So safe - except next issue is the final - NNOOOOOoooo

Lazarus risen 7 - so safe BUT on hiatus before the last 12(ish) issue run.

Love Everlasting (2 - 4) what is going on? fascinating but a little directionless, at this point, pretty safe.

Mandalorian (2?) - pretty much on its way out.

Predator (2-4) - hmmmm very close to going. I'll finish this opening arc but beyond that... doubtful...

Public Doman (3+4) - Aside from the obvious irony discussed in earlier issue here its a good comic and safe.

Punisher (5-7) - Still not doing what I want it to but I'll give it its 12 issue run... I think...

Sacrament (1-3) - Yet another from the Milligan IP factory - another decent one too.

Superman Space Age (2) - Mark Russell is still one of the best writers out there and add Mike Allred and this is safe (well only one to go anyway!)

That Texas Blood (17-19) - That rarest thing, regular as clockwork and brilliant - so safe

Time Before Time (16 -18) - That rarest thing, regular as clockwork and great - so safe

Travelling to Mars (1) - even after 1 issue this one is safe. More brilliant satire from Mark Russell

Usagi Yojimbo (30 - 31) - the very definition of safe

Venom (10 -13) - hmmm its losing me, even the Ram V bits. And we have a cross over coming. Dropping from safety but not in real danger yet.

So there we have it. A few that can go, a few at risk. Will be making cuts soon.

Hawkmumbler

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkmonger.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2824 on: 17 November, 2022, 01:53:17 PM »
My goodness how good is Usagi Yojimbo right now though? not that it's ever been anything less that superlative its entire publication history, but Stan the man simply does not let up or let the readers down.