Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

My daughter hasn't been enjoying the Moon Girl crossovers as much as the series. Hopefully it picks up.

Having moved across the water, I'm now getting my comics from a new local shop. It's made an absolute mess of my reading, and nearly all my back issues are in a container waiting to be loaded. Still, the new shop has an amazing selection of back issues.

Colin YNWA

There's going to be a new ongoing (or extended mini) as well. I assuming to tie in to the new telly show.

Link Prime

Holy modern comics suck Batman!
Is there anything on the shelves these days worth reading?

Yes there is old chum, yes there is; The 'Black Label' Batman books.

I brooded over the following new releases this week:

Batman & The Joker: The Deadly Duo 1; A Marc Silvestri joint. The artwork is unsurprisingly a scorching 10/10, and the writing is surprisingly decent. I've loved Silvestri for as long as I can remember and would find it difficult to pass on anything he produces, particularly a high profile gig like this. I'm in - issues 2 & 3 pre-ordered.
Riddler Year One 1; This is set in the 2022 "The Batman" movie continuity, and is written by yer man who played The Riddler in the movie - Paul Dano. Surprisingly excellent - and I mean excellent. I'm in for the full run on this one too.
Batman: Beyond The White Knight 7; SGM's third "White Knight" series, and by far the weakest of the three. The script is the Achilles Heel of course - painfully contrived for the entire series. Only one issue left in this run, so I will finish it. Even if this series leaves a sour taste in the mouth I will probably be back for more down the line - the artwork is just too frickin good.

Colin YNWA

Its been an age since I posted here for various reasons I won't bore you with. So need to catch up BUT no way I'm going to review as normal, far too many. So instead since I'm thinking of a purge I'm going to review by series and say how close to removal from my pull list each series is. So we start with finished so no point worrying:

Alice Ever After (5) - Interesting would pick up second series if it happened.

Antman (2-4) - will be picking up the Wasp series that follows this. Pretty good fun.

Dogs of London (4 + 5) - One of the many Milligan IP factory minis. One of the weakest but good enough.

Moon Girl and... (Avengers + X-Men) - Well it wasn't great, but my affection for the character means I'll be getting the up coming mini.

Slumber (6) - This is meant to be ongoing. I'm not holding my breathe but will pick up more if they land.

Still going and risk of chop:

Absolution (3 + 4) - One of many Pete Milligan current IP factory minis - and a belter. Safe as houses.

Chicken Devils (1) -  new mini from this fun series; safe

Daredevil (2 - 4) - not a DD I'm digging, on the edge of going, but has a little rope.

Han Solo & Chewbacca (5+6) - You are right on the cusp. A book about Han and Chewie shouldn't be dull!

Human Target (7 + 8 + Tales of) - Safe as houses

I Hate this Place (4 + 5) - I love Kyle Starks but this is so close - so disappointing and lost.

Jonna and the Unpossible Monsters (11) - So safe - except next issue is the final - NNOOOOOoooo

Lazarus risen 7 - so safe BUT on hiatus before the last 12(ish) issue run.

Love Everlasting (2 - 4) what is going on? fascinating but a little directionless, at this point, pretty safe.

Mandalorian (2?) - pretty much on its way out.

Predator (2-4) - hmmmm very close to going. I'll finish this opening arc but beyond that... doubtful...

Public Doman (3+4) - Aside from the obvious irony discussed in earlier issue here its a good comic and safe.

Punisher (5-7) - Still not doing what I want it to but I'll give it its 12 issue run... I think...

Sacrament (1-3) - Yet another from the Milligan IP factory - another decent one too.

Superman Space Age (2) - Mark Russell is still one of the best writers out there and add Mike Allred and this is safe (well only one to go anyway!)

That Texas Blood (17-19) - That rarest thing, regular as clockwork and brilliant - so safe

Time Before Time (16 -18) - That rarest thing, regular as clockwork and great - so safe

Travelling to Mars (1) - even after 1 issue this one is safe. More brilliant satire from Mark Russell

Usagi Yojimbo (30 - 31) - the very definition of safe

Venom (10 -13) - hmmm its losing me, even the Ram V bits. And we have a cross over coming. Dropping from safety but not in real danger yet.

So there we have it. A few that can go, a few at risk. Will be making cuts soon.

Hawkmumbler

My goodness how good is Usagi Yojimbo right now though? not that it's ever been anything less that superlative its entire publication history, but Stan the man simply does not let up or let the readers down.

Colin YNWA

Okay only the two hauls to catch up on. I must get better at this in the new year. This has always been one of my all time fav threads and while all the regulars might have gone, I still hope hope others will join in.

ANYWAY my latest comics in ... oh I don't know writer  order:

Pete Milligan Love: Is deep and satisfying

He's been churning out 4-6 issue series, I assume as prospective properties for development. They are always interesting, always engaging and often brilliant. Would many times be at home in 2000ad with a bit of retooling. Current issues Absolution 5 - fantastic end to a great series. Sacrament 4 bigging to a thrilling conclusion.

Mark Russell Love: Just as deep, if not deeper, amusing and seems to avoid growing old.

I've been reading the various Mark Russell series for years now and there is such a distinct tone and feel to his satire he's almost instantly recognisable in a way few writers are. I often feel this will get tired and I'll have had enough Mark Russell, but not hitting that and enjoying everything he writes. Current issues Billionaire Island - Cult of Dogs 1 + 2 and My Bad vol. 2 1 see him return previous stories and ignite both with fresh ideas.

Tom King Love: I'm still in denial but I keep going back to him.

I means it not as deep as my lush for the writers above yet here I am with three Tom King series in my last 2 hauls. He constructs interesting tales, if he's a little indulgent and self-satisfyed in their telling. Danger Street 1 sets up a potentially interesting look at some of DCs lesser lights. Human Target 9 builds well on this intriguing anf simply beautiful comic series. Love everlasting 5 is telling me nothing by giving me so much. I'm hooked but damned if I know why!

Chip Zdarsky NOT love: Look I keep jumping into bed with him, but seem to leave unsatisfied a lot!

Daredevil 5 + 6 was a comic I was so looking forward to. Read all the Chip love for the previous volume and haven't picked up DD in floppy for years. Alas this isn't my DD (which is fine I have a LOT of my DD) and has left me somewhat floppy myself. Public Domain 5 has been altogether better. Now finished (I think) I'm left with an irritating iche that I'm just read him writing characters that have exploited the work of others and here is campaigning against that very thing. GRRRRR....

Lots of other odds and sods.

Han Solo and Chewbacca 7 - why am I still getting this???

Predator 5 - well I have no intention of still getting this after this first Kev Walker arc finishes next issue!

Punisher 8 - decent but not what I wanted. Still 4 issues to go and we'll see...

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 1: Love the character but not hit the heights of the original series with these cartoon supporting recent outings. We'll give this one more time though...

What's the furthest place from here? 8 - brilliant series returns but the fill-in art on this flashback lets the story down a little.

Jonna and the Unpossible Monsters 12 - WHY IS THIS THE END OF THIS MAGNIFICENT SERIES! WHY? WHY! ... why...

Resident Alien - The Book of Love 1 - The fact this has returned when we were told we were done makes me happy again after th lose of Jonna.

The Monarch

I don't really get many comics outside of the prog and meg these days but i dunno where else i can rant about this

I hate, hate, hate, HATE what has happened to the 80s version of the eagle when it hit 1990. If anything makes us to feel how lucky we are to still have the megazine around then observe how awful the 90s relaunch of eagle was. it went from weekly to monthly. 32 pages to 68 and like only 8 pages of new strip and the rest is goddamn reprint.

and what the fuck is the deal with this unfunny ongoing joke about giraffes who read the eagle comic?!? is it supposed to be funny? am i missing something?

CalHab

I'm loving Human Target as well. I may even double dip and get the collection when it comes out.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: CalHab on 19 January, 2023, 04:55:57 PM
I'm loving Human Target as well. I may even double dip and get the collection when it comes out.

All hangs on how well he pulls off the ending now!

Colin YNWA

Well we've switched internet provider and that's lead to the Forum getting blocked at home... for reasons... well I don't understand at all. Its not device specific as connected to a different networks the site opens perfectly normally... weird... hopefully it'll sort itself. ANYWAY the consequence of this is I'm reviewing blind as I don't have the comics to hand as I type this. Which is interesting as it leaves me reviewing looking in the rear view mirror, with only the lingering impression reflected in my terrible memory to go on... which is an interesting way to do this in itself.

So some comics are getting pretty trying. Han Solo and Chewbacca 8 + 9 principle amongst them. I'm only getting this still as it should be so much better, though these last two do give me some hope. Punisher 9 is similar really, very similar in fact. Its getting better. Oh and so is Daredevil 7 come that that.

Predator 6 didn't, but I think this series is over and getting a relaunch, I won't be on board.

Venom 14 + 15 is doing a crossover thing or other I don't care for, but to be fair it continues the main thrust with of the series and its still better when Ram V is writing it rather than Al Ewing which is a surprise. Speaking of Al Ewing Wasp 1 is him at his best. Its a bright and lovely start to a series featuring one of my all time fav characters so this is a big win. AND speaking of characters I like Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 2 is getting the benefit of the doubt for that reason. Its okay.

Avengers: War Across Time 1 takes me back to when I loved the Avengers big time. Its fun and apparently Alan Davis' full sequensial swansong so deserves checking out for that reason alone.

Someone who isn't retiring from comics anytime soon is Mark Russell and I still happily buy all his stuff, even if the themes is very specific and normally similar he finds different tones and ways to present them and My Bad 2 + 3, Travelling to Mars 2, Billionaire Island 3 all delight in similar, yet different, ways.

Speaking of similar yet different so it goes with Tom King Human Target 10 + 11 build to a promising finale as he explores the JLA characters in a fascinating murder mystery. Danger Street 2 explores the obsure end of DCs character using 1st Issue Special as his launch point and its setting off really nicely.

Sacrement 5 seems to be the last of these recent Pete Milligan minis, don't have any on order at the moment, not sure if I've missed any but this one ends really well. I await what he does next (well that'll be the next series of X-Cellent but that's a returning Marvel property rather than this IP factory mini work). Speaking of waiting I picked up Image! 9 as it had a Jack Staff short in it, worth the price of entry alone, though cruelly left me hankering for when Paul Grist finally gets back to his own characters for a more extended run. We've been promised so much for so long. Time Before Time 19 doesn't leaves you waiting and comes out wonderfully regularly and leaves you wishing this series got the attention it deserves. Its also great to have Pete Hogan and Steve Parkhouse benefit from the attention they deserve as Resident Alien 2 + 3 reward us all from their recent telly 'fame'.

What's the Furthest Place from here? 9 + 10 is such great bang for your buck its sad that this one doesn't get hailed from on high. Wonderful series.

So I guess that leaves Chicken Devils 2 for last and therefore book of the haul... more do to how I've reminded myself of things as I've typed that really thinking about it but you know what it was really go so go for it.

I might do these more distant reviews more often it was quite fun... still what the form on something other than my phone at home mind!

Link Prime

Your hauls never fail to impress Colin - these days you'd be classified as a 'Whale'!*

I picked up my own haul recently, and breezed through the lot:

Batman & The Joker: The Deadly Duo 2 + 3; Silvestri continues to deliver the goods art-wise, and the story is decent if a little rote.
Riddler Year One 2; Probably the best read out of the lot. Book 'em, Dano.
Batman: Beyond The White Knight 7; Didn't I get this last month? Well no actually - that was issue 6, showing how little attention I'm paying to the plot. Things step up slightly this issue as we head to the conclusion, with a nice cameo from SGM himself as 'Officer Murphy'.
Ronin II 1 + 2; Frank Miller is back with a new imprint and a completely unexpected sequel to 80's classic 'Ronin'. A very good read so far, but quite different to the original. Miller is assisted art-wise by Philip Tan and Daniel Henriques - it's a wonderful monochromatic mash-up.
Night Club 1+2; Picked these up on a whim due to the low cover price ($1.99) and great value (30 pages, ad free). Millar can spin a decent yarn, and the art is pretty slick too. Think Spider-Man, if Peter Parker was bitten by a vampire. Hard not to recommend it as an impulse buy.
X-Men Legends 5; Hooleeee Shit...a Marvel comic. It's been what? 8 years? I was lured back by the incomparable line-work of one Whilce Portacio - part 1 of 2 of his Bishop redux, thankfully taking place in pre-Krakoa-shite continuity.

*Can any of you afford to post a quip?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 02 February, 2023, 01:34:47 PMRonin II 1 + 2; Frank Miller is back with a new imprint and a completely unexpected sequel to 80's classic 'Ronin'. A very good read so far, but quite different to the original. Miller is assisted art-wise by Philip Tan and Daniel Henriques - it's a wonderful monochromatic mash-up.

Saw this was coming but decided to skip as not a fan of Philip Tan at all, but I'm intrigued now. How is Miller faring writing wise these days?

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 02 February, 2023, 01:48:18 PMSaw this was coming but decided to skip as not a fan of Philip Tan at all, but I'm intrigued now. How is Miller faring writing wise these days?

I will admit I wasn't big fan of Philip Tan myself, I mostly associate his art with the woeful Chuck Austin Uncanny X-Men run, but that was a long time ago, and he has definitely evolved his style.
Miller provides layouts (and from what I can tell, pencils for pages 1 - 10), but Tan's own pencils and finishes are very, very impressive. I'm talking Henry Flint level quality.

Miller's writing on this one is pretty good too - could maybe do with a little more exposition, but otherwise it's as solid as you'd expect. Certainly a step up from DK III (which I quite enjoyed as well).

I regret not re-reading the original '83 run before this, and can't seem to put my finger on it on my library shelf - could have been loaned out and not returned.
DC 'Black Label' have a new softcover edition in print for a snip - I've ordered a copy, as this unexpected sequel has re-piqued my interest.

So yeah - a strong recommendation from me. If this is Miller's last run I am delighted he is going out on a high.

NB - I have only read issue 1 by the way, not issue 2 yet (2 + 3 are available for pre-order at the moment).

Colin YNWA

Yeah my edition of Ronin is long gone and I've long been meaning to track down the originals at a decent price but whenever I look they can be expensive. Maybe I should just settle for a collection as the new one seems nice.... spending too much on comics at the moment...

Colin YNWA

Since I'm catching up with my correspondance (bloody getting onto the forum on home network issues continue to drive me away!) here's last weeks haul, read end of last week.

Getting a few Marvel comics at the moment. But often they feel over convulated and dense, not in a fun way. All grand fights and explosions - with the heavily laden dialogue. Both Venom 16 and Daredevil 8 feel burdened with high concept ideas, that bring fun, but HAVE TO BE BIG and feel like they've moved the comics away from what I want these days. Still enjoyable and I'm sticking with them.

Wasp 2 is a middle ground between those and the fun others (by Al Ewing like Venom) its playful but still feels a little weighted down.

Avengers - War Across Time 2 and Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 3 are at the froffy fun end of things. Light and bouncey and how I like my superheroes. One (Avengers) doing it old skool, the other (Moon Girl) mixing up the modern (well to me) vibes and feels fresh. Loved both.

Over at DC Danger Street 3 feels just so Tom King its untrue. Not a bad thing in and of itself. They make for interesting comics but once you get the tone and vibe it feels a bit done. This will bounce back and be brilliant if King's other work is anything to go by. His beginning though can feel a little self satisfied and oblique.

Time Before Time 20 puts where I want my dense and weaving just where I want it. This tall has twists and turns and this issue really hammers that home in the final page!

What's the Furtherest Place From Here? 11 sharp, fresh, dark and engaging. Brilliant.

Billionaire Island 4 like King you get into Mark Russell's tone and style and it feels so set BUT somehow he keeps it fresh (as I've said before) and this issue is a perfect example of that. He's not doing anything new, it feels the same, yet he's giving me something different each time. Wonderful.

But however good some of them are Resident Alien 4 is the pick of the haul. Perfectly encapulating what makes this series of series (mini) so good. Grand drama resolved by a phonecall from a golf course, as opposed to the 'big' stakes flash bang of those Marvel books I started this haul with. Some one was shot last episode and this episode really deals with the effects of that on all concerned. One bullet, so much impact. Then at the end some news that quietly blows the series open and is an everyday miracle that changes everything... unlike Marvel you can believe that! Those dense, flash bang Marvel books really could learn from this series. You can be dramatic and exciting in such different ways. As I've said before about Resident Alien, it proves less truly is more.