Main Menu

RoboCop - Murphy's Law

Started by JOE SOAP, 07 July, 2012, 10:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recrewt

Presumably he's taking a date?  That or maxing out on the pepsi, popcorn and nachos!

willthemightyW

Hahahaha Goaty!

Also, all this talk of 'subtlety' in the original is guff. Don't get me wrong, I love the film, and all the sly jabs and social commentary, but it wasn't subtle about it, that was part of it's charm. When can you ever say 'damn, just look at all that subtlety' about a Verhoeven film! :p
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

pictsy

Oh phew, it's not just me.  Last time I went to the cinema (which admittedly was years ago) it cost £7 and I think that that is excessive.

I thought it was maybe one of these new fangled 3D movie showings you kids all enjoy so much.

IndigoPrime

Our local is about a tenner a ticket, but then there's a booking fee and the car park fee, and if you buy anything at all, including a bottle of water, it all adds up. If the wife and I both see a film, the absolute minimum spend is 25 quid.

pictsy

Quote from: willthemightyW on 06 September, 2013, 03:48:53 PM
Hahahaha Goaty!

Also, all this talk of 'subtlety' in the original is guff. Don't get me wrong, I love the film, and all the sly jabs and social commentary, but it wasn't subtle about it, that was part of it's charm. When can you ever say 'damn, just look at all that subtlety' about a Verhoeven film! :p

The lack of subtlety comes with the violence and action in the film.  Personally I wouldn't say because a film lacked subtlety in one aspect it lacked it throughout.  Most of the social commentary and satire is secondary and tertiary to the main plot and serves to support the story by creating a believable and textured world.  The main plot, after all, isn't about social commentary itself - it's a violent revenge flick about a dead cop killing the people who murdered him.   If the film lacked subtleties that's all the film would be and that just isn't the case.

To a lesser extent I think that Total Recall has subtlety too.  I think it was those aspects that sit in the background of the film that were very much left out of the remake is what made the remake fail for me as film. 

Goaty

One thing that bothered me about the trailer, as he burned 80% from car bomb, sorry it don't got subtitles so I guess it out... and with new cyborg, he got... eyebrows???

COMMANDO FORCES

Well that leaves 20% okay and apart from the instant reaction of moving your head away and arms to a defensive position, you are okay with him being a Cyborg. In fact why isn't he called CyboCop ;)

pictsy

Cyber-Community-Support-Officer

Hawkmumbler

Mabs

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Goaty

Frank

It doesn't really look crap, though. At worst, it looks a bit bland, but you all know you're going to watch it anyway.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: willthemightyW on 06 September, 2013, 03:48:53 PM

Not guff at all, on the contrary, the personal aspects of his character and that one, simple scene of him wandering around the house while physiologically responding to memories of his wife - which looks like it's been made explicitly 'the story' in the new one - were a tender and subtle contrast to the harsher aspects. It's the central scene in the film.

pictsy

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 September, 2013, 07:31:12 PM
Not guff at all, on the contrary, the personal aspects of his character and that one, simple scene of him wandering around the house while physiologically responding to memories of his wife - which looks like it's been made explicitly 'the story' in the new one - were a tender and subtle contrast to the harsher aspects. It's the central scene in the film.

I agree about your comment on the remake - I have certainly been given the impression that they'll emphasise that aspect.  Unfortunately I think the original will still do a better job in that respect where RoboCop didn't scream "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?!?" and have that silly visor thing.  In the original having the face obscured throughout gave a real sense of a man turned into machine - alongside the behaviour which is more robotesque.  So when he finally took his helmet off and we see his face again it becomes more symbolic of the man emerging from the machine once more.