Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

The Big Bang Theory series 5. Oh lawds!  :lol:

radiator

I don't know how anyone can tolerate The Big Bang Theory.

Hoagy

Criminal Minds s1-7 coming up and Extras.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: radiator on 01 February, 2013, 04:47:36 PM
I don't know how anyone can tolerate The Big Bang Theory.
I dunno, guess it's a generation thing. Maybe. Everyone I know loves it, and being a bit of a Physics nut I tend to get the jokes.  :-\

HdE

I am very nearly done with 'Lexx'. Just about 6 episodes left.

I've been consistently entertained. This show is BRILLIANT fun! I'd been expecting the fourth season to be a stinker, having been warned by folks that it was 'weak' and 'as low as bad TV gets', but I've been pleasantly surprised.

This is actually a show I can see myself going back to and re-watching sooner rather than later.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

radiator

QuoteI dunno, guess it's a generation thing.

Think it's more of a taste thing - I'm probably younger than you are.

Something about it just rubs me the wrong way - the bits I've seen have been desperately unfunny.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: radiator on 01 February, 2013, 06:05:29 PM

Something about it just rubs me the wrong way - the bits I've seen have been desperately unfunny.
I'm 17 so that may be a bit of a stretch. :lol:
Fair does and all, not like I like you any less for it, there's many comedys I hate. ANYTHING with Ricky Gervais for a start. >:(

pauljholden

Currently watching the west wing, which I loved when I saw it first and burning through episodes is a lot of fun, but there's some interesting takeaways from it:
If you're not American then you're likely to be a very stereotypical representative of your country.
You see a lot of relationships blossom but precious few ever seem to go anywhere.
I get the sense that sorkin is less interested in the lives of his characters than he is in manipulating the audience and getting to his idealised world.

That said, I do love it.

Wondering whether is should start watching house of cards BEFORE I start watching house of cards or not (the new us netflix version)

-pj
(Ps I live netflix and unblock-us...)

Mardroid

When I first saw it I found myself wincing inside, what with playing on the stereo-typical geek thing, etc. ("They make us look bad", I thought. Not that I'm much of a geek - I have geek interests, but probably lack the intellect.)

I've watched it since then.... and it just clicked. I find it a funny and warm programme. And I'll admit to getting a bit of a thrill seeing *that* prop in the time machine episode.

I, Cosh

Through the magic of Lovefilm I've been soaking up Battlestar Galactica for the first time over the past couple of weeks. At the start I remember telling a mate that I wasn't really that into it and then realising I'd watched the whole mini-series and the first half dozen regular episodes in two or three days! After hearing so much about it, I think it took me a while to get past the standard tv scif-fi crappy acting and just let the story carry me forward. It was the episode where Starbuck interrogates the Cylon that finally hooked me. I really like that a large part of the series is the old "What is this thing called love, captain?" taken to extremes and allowed to develop in unexpected ways.

Anyway, finished the second series last night and really looking forward to seeing where it's going next.

PS So far, [spoiler]Boomer [/spoiler]is the hottest Cylon.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

My second anf third Shojo Kakumei Utena boxsets arrived on friday. God, this series is just so WIERD I freaking love it. Some of the philosophy is out there extreme (Incestues abuse, rape, psychological torture etc) but are handled with extreme levity and mixed in with some real WTF moments that never seem to detract from the strong mixture of surreal humour and black comedy. A very fun series but not for everyone. Also, Roses. Roses everywhere.

JamesC

Quote from: The Cosh on 26 February, 2013, 11:18:59 AM
Through the magic of Lovefilm I've been soaking up Battlestar Galactica for the first time over the past couple of weeks. At the start I remember telling a mate that I wasn't really that into it and then realising I'd watched the whole mini-series and the first half dozen regular episodes in two or three days! After hearing so much about it, I think it took me a while to get past the standard tv scif-fi crappy acting and just let the story carry me forward. It was the episode where Starbuck interrogates the Cylon that finally hooked me. I really like that a large part of the series is the old "What is this thing called love, captain?" taken to extremes and allowed to develop in unexpected ways.

Anyway, finished the second series last night and really looking forward to seeing where it's going next.

PS So far, [spoiler]Boomer [/spoiler]is the hottest Cylon.

I've just started watching BSG on Lovefilm too and am also really enjoying it.
When it first came out i saw a couple of mid-season episodes and thought it just seemed like 'West Wing in space' with all the talking and politics - I was expecting action!
Watching it from the beginning though, I'm finding it really gripping.

TordelBack

BBT is one of the most uneven shows I've watched, and since the wife is a big fan I've seen most of it by now.  When it gets it right, it can be extremely funny and quite sweet, when it gets it wrong it's unwatchable, becoming Two-and-a-Half-Men with Stephen Hawking impressions.  Its biggest hurdle is that the original lead character (Leonard) is very dull, and its breakout discovery (Sheldon) can completely dominate it to the point of boring repetition, despite Jim Parsons' cracking performance.  It works best when it works as an ensemble, with everyone contributing a little bit of their well-honed schtick, rather than when it focuses on one character and the narrowness of the characterisation becomes apparent.  I think they've cottoned on to this as the seasons march on, and the large supporting cast has become the highlight for me, Leonard's and Sheldon's mothers in particular being a hoot.

What has struck me as the thing has gone on is there is a refreshing moral line played out over the long term: unpleasant throwaway gags early on come back to haunt the characters in interesting ways. 

It's also hard for me to see it as painting a negative nerd stereotype (to a greater degree than that required of the themed paticipants of any sit-com) when most of the characters have a terrific social life, exciting careers and a string of gorgeous partners. 

One thing that I do not understand: how do they get away with the unbelievably racist depiction of India and Indians in the show? 

JamesC

I've never seen an episode of BBT that I didn't find funny, although some more than others. It suffered when the actress that plays Penny broke her arm and wasn't in a few episodes - she's a great character and is really the glue that holds everything together.
I find it a very warm programme it very really gets a laugh out of 'bullying' humour (in stark contrast to Ricky Gervais).
As for the 'racist' depiction of India - well cultural stereotyping doesn't always equal racism. Loads of things are stereotyped in BBT - for example Jewish people and the Bible belt.

TordelBack

Quote from: JamesC on 26 February, 2013, 12:34:19 PM
As for the 'racist' depiction of India - well cultural stereotyping doesn't always equal racism. Loads of things are stereotyped in BBT - for example Jewish people and the Bible belt.

Didn't mean to drag the thread in the direction of a discussion of racism, but there is a difference between poking fun at powerful cultural groupings within the host nation, and a sole foreign character whose home country and its cultures are presented as universally laughable. Not that it isn't often funny, and indeed lampshaded by Raj himself, but it's frequently at an Alf Garnett level, except that there's no indication that the perpetrators are anything other than witty and knowledgeable.