Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

I enjoy NGE. It's not great but it certainly has it's charm. Cowboy Bebop is essential viewing though. Just a superb piece of television.

HdE

The magic mushrooms episode slays me every time!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Hawkmumbler

To be fair any scene with Ed and Ein in is pure magic. Like the Alien inspired episode with the monsterous mould growing in the refrigerator (which made a guest appearence in Space Dandy, BTW).

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Allah Akbark on 03 November, 2014, 08:21:57 PM

For me, the opposite was true - watching the new BSG made me appreciate the original a lot more, if only for being more ambitious, more forward-thinking, and less socially conservative than the remake....

...A good bridge between the two would be the underrated Space: Above and Beyond...

I'm with Pictsy RE: the new BSG. In many ways its like the world of the Big Meg to me; female judges are not even a thing, for example. Gaeta is not a minor character in my book either, rather he was one of my favourite parts of the main cast throughout the whole series and [spoiler]made his betrayal in the coup [/spoiler]e ven more tragic. Whatever conservatism is expressed in BSG (and there's a lot) I felt as a reaction against the sheer horror and paranoia of their situation, and the fundamentalist viewpoints that arise around it. And in BSG remake, it's not just a wink and a nudge subtext a la the original.

Regarding Space: Above and Beyond - I loved that show so much. As a kid it looked incredible. The worldbuilding was immense too... the abused and exploited clone soldiers replacing the synthetics who had rebelled and sided with the unknown and terrifying alien force... the synthetics who spoke in machine code... And a very ambiguous 'good guys' who were responsible for the prejudices and seeds of their own destruction, at least in so much as the bigwigs in the corporations and the military had created both the AIs and covered up a blundering first contact.

Should remake this whilst they're trawling the back catalogue...

There's a show that needs a remake. 

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 03 November, 2014, 09:02:59 PM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

The original cartoon series from early nineties!

The only version of that cartoon worth watching!

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: pictsy on 03 November, 2014, 01:29:46 PMWith the thought of that in mind I also started giving the original BSG a go.  Actually better than I was expecting and certainly a more enjoyable experience than that I had with Star Trek TOS(s).  It is still a little corny with a degree of insufferable sci-fi optimism that was common of the era.  It certainly has made me appreciate the rebooted version a lot more.

For me, the opposite was true - watching the new BSG made me appreciate the original a lot more, if only for being more ambitious, more forward-thinking, and less socially conservative than the remake (the original's Greek influence extended to a gay reading of the Starbuck/Apollo relationship, while the remake manages only to make a minor and unimportant character bisexual, but even then only manages to do so in a spin-off web series).

Who agrees that original Starbuck is much prettier (Maybe a TS, considering he was the Face of the A-team!) and would have made a better female than his current replacement in the latest series.

A good bridge between the two would be the underrated Space: Above and Beyond, which alongside Firefly was heavily stripmined for the BSG remake.  It's a straight-faced space war series about a squadron of fighter pilots based on a carrier craft, made by X-Files writers Glen Morgan and James Wong (Fox Mulder even does a cameo).  It had the misfortune to run afoul of the (then) small world of sci-fi critics and fandom by getting into a feud with journalists who'd run a hatchet job on an early pirate print of the pilot, and as a result the show couldn't get a break even when it produced objectively classic episodes like Who Monitors the Birds, Sugar Dirt, or The Angriest Angel (the latter was remade beat-for-beat in the BSG episode Scar).  While not cheap-looking, it does show its age, but it's worth a gander.

Space Above And Beyond...I enjoyed this series a lot, but wasn't impressed with the climatic last episode.

This one is favourite. You-tube used to have the full episode, but that was all I could find.

pictsy

I tried watching the late eighties/early nineties cartoon of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  I can't say it has aged well and it certainly does look like a glorified toy ad - which it was.  I had the same problem with the nineties X-Men cartoon and Spiderman.

Oddly, out a sense of playful nostalgia, I rewatched the first two series of Thomas the Tank Engine a couple of months ago (loved it as a tot) and it holds up really well.

One day I'll give Batman: The Animated Series a go.  Despite not thinking a great deal of it as a kid (but obviously always loving when Harley Quinn appeared) I am curious how well it does twenty years or so on.

Satanist

Batman The Animated Series is great. Just watched loads with the kids and it hold up really well. My favourite episode so far is about an ordinary bloke who cuts up the Joker on his way home. Funny and scary.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Professor Bear

Quote from: pictsy on 03 November, 2014, 11:07:39 PMIt's not explicit enough for me.

THEIR LOVE IS REAL YOU HEARTLESS DEVIL.

Quote from: pictsy on 03 November, 2014, 11:07:39 PMThere's a massive list of anime shows that are on my 'need to watch list'.  I get hassled most for not having seen Cowboy Beebop.  Neon Genesis Evangelion is the one that I'm most curious about.

"you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop?  I don't believe you!" etc.
Bebop is quite good, actually.  It takes an episode or three to warm up, but then it's really good, emulating a kind of stylised 1970s action movie vibe, but it remains very, very Japanese.
Neon Genesis Evangelion is a series that was at best okay, but took itself too seriously and isn't really the gold standard of its genre that it's held up as being.  They did their best with what they had, but the storytelling is often frustrating, hinting at things or skirting around themes without ever really exploring them or the historical and mythological parallels it attempts to draw, so it doesn't really surprise me that it's cropped up in a discussion about the BSG remake.  The shadow it casts across anime that followed it is disproportionate to the show's quality, which is probably why they keep "remaking" it every couple of years by adding new scenes to the original episodes and then telling you that this time it's definitely the way they would have done it back in the day if they had the budget and the time, so if you haven't seen it already, I don't envy your having to make sense of it now: do you start with the original series, or the reinvented movies, or the other reinvented movies?  You might end up missing something whatever way you do it, but then you might also end up watching a version of the show that's full of non-canonical scenes and plot arcs.

pictsy

This year I was introduced to a few anime series.  Hellsing, Hellsing Ultimate and Elfen Lied.  I actually enjoyed them all.  My most proud moment was managing to track down the Patlabor tv show (and also the OVAs).  I loved the first two films and I was so curious about these characters.  The show was not what I was expecting, but I loved it anyway. 

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Satanist on 04 November, 2014, 01:45:25 PM
Batman The Animated Series is great. Just watched loads with the kids and it hold up really well. My favourite episode so far is about an ordinary bloke who cuts up the Joker on his way home. Funny and scary.

My favourite Joker story ever.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Satanist on 04 November, 2014, 01:45:25 PM

Yeah - it's a genuinely timeless classic. Better than any of the live action versions.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

shaolin_monkey

Lillyhammer on Netflix! Very funny - New York mobster turns stoolie on goes into hiding in Norway. Very funny!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 05 November, 2014, 01:22:33 AM
Lillyhammer on Netflix! Very funny - New York mobster turns stoolie on goes into hiding in Norway. Very funny!

Nobody can say "What the fuck?" quite like Little Steven.

auxlen

Lillyhammer is decent. The locals are funnier than the star. I love the way its subtitled too.