Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 06 March, 2015, 08:57:53 PM
astronauts  or cavemen?  Smile Time!

spike earned his resurrection

Never seen any of that. Looking forward to it, although now Better Call Saul has me in its claws.

radiator

Finally got round to starting on Parks & Recreation on Netflix, which is exactly as good as I knew it would be. Really lovely show - sweet without being saccharine, and very funny too. I'd heard from several people that season 1 wasn't very good and to skip ahead, but s1 was enjoyable enough. The only character I don't like is Mark, though I gather that he leaves quite early on and didn't even return for the finale, so I think it's safe to say I'm not alone on that.

Mardroid

Bates' Motel Series 2

I'm not sure I'd say this is an addiction, but it's rather enjoyable. The actors playing the main roles are all rather good in their depiction of these extremely flawed yet empathetic characters.

I was thinking of dropping Netflix. It's a good deal but I just wasn't watching it much! Then this came along. I liked the last one and this seems as good, so far.

I wish they'd get a move on bringing across the latest American Horror Story though. Still Daredevil will be here soon...

TordelBack

The Borgias.  The only real question, a few episodes into Season 2, is why I am still bothering.  Pitiful smell-the-fart acting, comedy casting (Ser Jorah Mormont as Savonarola?), and a rigorous formula of 1 Graphic Torture/Execution per episode + 2 Scenes (minimum) of boobs and bum per episode +1 floppy willy every 2 episodes + 1 fanny per 4 episodes (yes, I counted - had to pass the time somehow). 

The combo of European actors who struggle (but not very hard) with English lines and American actors who speak only in protracted monotones only adds to the (intentional) torture, and the staggeringly bad visual continuity between shots takes away what considerable pleasure can be derived from the costumes, sets, locations and digital backdrops.  And I would be very happy if the exposition could be elevated from people continually describing everything as if their listener was from, say, another century:  "How goes the war with our enemies the French?", or "It is a letter from His Holiness Alexander VI, the current Pope", and so forth (I exaggerate, but not much).

The best bit is the most innovative 'Previously on...' sequence, which maps 'current' events onto some religious festival or theme.  So, an Italian voice intones something like: "Easter 1492: Christ is Risen [clip of Rodrigo Borgia being elected Pope]".  It's actually what keeps me zipping on to the next episode, just to see what they've come up with this week.

But yet, I keep watching.  And for all of the above reasons. 

TordelBack

And of course I stuff it up by getting the name wrong: it's Borgia I'm watching, not Jeremy Irons vehicle The Borgias.  And before anyone accuses me of being snitty about the historical accuracy or lack thereof, I don't care about that stuff at all, which in this case is a very good thing.

Professor Bear

If you don't care about that sort of thing, give DaVinci's Demons a go.  Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's serious or taking the piss and there's a bit in America that seems to go on forever, but generally it's good fun and very well made.  I'm not sure if my favorite bit is the Pope's evil double snapping children's necks while laughing in her dad and sister's face, beating his henchmen while naked, or that time DaVinci's gang fight Islamophobic Dracula.

TordelBack

That does sound fun, I've been meaning to track it down, if only to pay respect to our own Michaelvk. 

Jim_Campbell

A couple of episodes behind in the current series of Deadwood with Pirates (aka Black Sails) but thoroughly enjoying it. Season 1 was waaay to leisurely in its pacing and really only gets anywhere near interesting around Ep4/5 but starts to promise greatness in the back half of the series.

Season 2, however, has kept a much tighter focus on Toby Stephens' compelling and utterly ruthless Flint, nominally the 'hero' only because everyone else is an even bigger shit than he is, much to the series' benefit and I'm enjoying it enormously.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 March, 2015, 12:21:06 PM
A couple of episodes behind in the current series of Deadwood with Pirates (aka Black Sails) but thoroughly enjoying it.

Living, it would seem, in a box these days and have never heard of this. I should have heard of this as I loves me me pirates. Thanks for the heads up another in the all too long list of things I must get around to.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 13 March, 2015, 01:20:02 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 March, 2015, 12:21:06 PM
A couple of episodes behind in the current series of Deadwood with Pirates (aka Black Sails) but thoroughly enjoying it.

Living, it would seem, in a box these days and have never heard of this. I should have heard of this as I loves me me pirates. Thanks for the heads up another in the all too long list of things I must get around to.

I was just about to say the same thing.

Tiplodocus

Is it a LOVEFILM only type deal?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 March, 2015, 01:52:03 PM
Is it a LOVEFILM only type deal?

Free to stream on Amazon Prime...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Famous Mortimer

I tried the first three episodes of "Black Sails" and despite having read several books about the era beforehand ("Villains of All Nations" is amazing), it bored me to tears. It tried too hard, I think. But I might dip back in.

Hawkmumbler

At long last Now TV has updated with Game of Thrones seasons 2 through 4. If I should vanish over the next few weeks, theirs tour explanation. I've died of joy.