Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Last night we decided to give the first episode of 'The Last Ship' a go. Has anyone else seen this?  And can anyone reassure me that it's not as straight -up obvious as it seems and that there are some twists to stop it becoming the most predictable formulaic show US TV has put out since the eighties?

It's beautiful to look at,  apparently very expensive, and the first ep rattled along at a good old pace...  but my grud,  it was by the book! 

Mysterious us navy mission to the arctic is cover for some scientists trying to find a cure for a virus that is spreading across the world.  By the time they are allowed to break radio silence,  80% of the world's population is dead and the ship must find fuel and supplies while developing a cure and outwitting the Russians. Manly man captain,  manly man second in command, lesbian bridge officer,  spunky Brit scientist and her untrustworthy Brit assistant (who is most likely a double agent)- sheeeesh.

Fun though.

SBT

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 28 March, 2015, 07:53:30 AM
Last night we decided to give the first episode of 'The Last Ship' a go. Has anyone else seen this?  And can anyone reassure me that it's not as straight -up obvious as it seems and that there are some twists to stop it becoming the most predictable formulaic show US TV has put out since the eighties?

It's beautiful to look at,  apparently very expensive, and the first ep rattled along at a good old pace...  but my grud,  it was by the book! 

Mysterious us navy mission to the arctic is cover for some scientists trying to find a cure for a virus that is spreading across the world.  By the time they are allowed to break radio silence,  80% of the world's population is dead and the ship must find fuel and supplies while developing a cure and outwitting the Russians. Manly man captain,  manly man second in command, lesbian bridge officer,  spunky Brit scientist and her untrustworthy Brit assistant (who is most likely a double agent)- sheeeesh.

Fun though.

SBT

Without giving much away, you've guessed a few things right. I'll be honest and say I gave up on it after the second episode because my cheese intolerance kicked in - but then once the series was finished its run I decided to binge watch from the start again and it actually does kick in a few episodes later. It's still got the cheese, but there is some action later on that allows you to overcome that.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Tjm86

Quote from: DaveGYNWA on 28 March, 2015, 08:53:07 AM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 28 March, 2015, 07:53:30 AM

Fun though.

SBT

Without giving much away, you've guessed a few things right. I'll be honest and say I gave up on it after the second episode because my cheese intolerance kicked in - but then once the series was finished its run I decided to binge watch from the start again and it actually does kick in a few episodes later. It's still got the cheese, but there is some action later on that allows you to overcome that.

I'd second that.   I managed the full season which is more than I could say for some of the stuff that has been about lately.  Not worth paying for, but reasonable brain candy.  Surprisingly enough it looks like it might get a second season.  I'm tempted to give the book a look.  Looks like it's in the same vein as The Gold Crew or Trinity's Child.

SmallBlueThing

Thanks guys,  I think we'll continue with it then.  Though I reckon it may well become the very definition of "guilty pleasure"!

SBT

Tiplodocus

Have I mentioned the fact that we started watching 3RD ROCK FROM THE SUN (on Netflix I think).

It's really funny (so far - only half way through Season 1). John Lithgow is just absolutely powering the show and grabbing laughs where none should exist. Inspired casting.

(We started showing it to Tiny Teen Tips just to show him what a baby Joseph Gordon Levitt looked like)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Daveycandlish

Astonishingly, 3rd Rock never stops being funny all th e way through the six seasons. Most comedies fall off after a couple of years but it kept going strong before finishing with a definite end. Great stuff. You can catch it on Channel 4 at breakfast time too.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

von Boom

3rd Rock is sheer brilliance. Lithgow is a very talented actor and deserves much more respect than he gets.

A few years ago there was a rumour that an adaptation of Isaac Asimov's The Caves of Steel was to be filmed. I truly thought that Lithgow and Levitt should be cast as R. Daneel Olivaw and Elijah Baley respectively (or the reverse for that matter) since they worked so well together.

Hawkmumbler

Seeing as the manga has been on hiatus for a year and will probably be so for a while yet, I started watching the )apparently very faithful) 2011 adaptation of HunterXHunter. A half dozen episodes in and it's showing great promise.

Hawkmumbler

Not been watching Game of Thrones anywhere near fast enough as I would like. A heavy work load, dive related work, and education can be attributed to that meaning I VALUE MY SLEEP!

That being said, the cliffhanger to S.2 Ep.7 might just be one of the darkest, most mean spirited things i've ever seen. I was genuinely sickened physically at the site of....well, I shant spoil it. But damn, I hope Theon suffers horribly for what he has done. Oh so much rage for just one character you wouldn't believe.

HdE

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 April, 2015, 09:26:02 PM
But damn, I hope Theon suffers horribly for what he has done.

Guys... shall I tell him, or will you?
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

IAMTHESYSTEM

He won't be pointing [spoiler]percy at the porcelain [/spoiler]any more. Can't get sky Atlantic so will have to wait till the DVD of series 5 appears.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Hawkmumbler

Oy OYOYOY! Nay spoiler, ta!

Anyway, S.2 episode 8 took a little a little of the bite out of Theons actions but then I realized, 'those where still two kids he burnt alive'. So yeah, I hope Boltons bastard son give's him a proper good hiding.

Also, fuck Geoffrey. He just an inbred arse hole, CERCI'S the really megalomaniac we need to be worrying about.

radiator

Said it in the other thread, but Theon - despite being a colossal screw-up, is one of my favourite characters in the whole series. He is Game of Throne's analogue for Gollum, and just as complex and interesting. Perfectly cast and played in the show wonderfully by Alfie Allen, who gives him a touch more dimension than he has on the page (usually the reverse is true and character nuances are lost due to the nature of adapting the book to TV).

Hawkmumbler

Well S.2 EP.9 "Blackwater" might just be one of the best bit's of TV i've seen in the longest time. Bloody fantastic stuff!

radiator

Oh man, you have no idea what's in store in seasons 3 and 4...