Main Menu

My Top Ten suggestions for the next 2000AD strip to be adapted to Film/TV

Started by Pop Culture Bandit, 03 September, 2013, 03:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 03 September, 2013, 11:21:02 PM
HAS to be Nikolai Dante for me, they could make a cracking series of swashbuckling summer blockbusters out of that material. I would say Robert Downey Jr to play him (raven haired cheeky rogue type capable of a good beard) but hes Iron Man isnt he!

Good casting but I'd say Dante needs to be an HBO series, or one series per arc, in order to do it properly...

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Recrewt on 04 September, 2013, 11:28:59 AMNah, I don't think it would be a problem.
But much of the twist is that [spoiler]the doctor is Harry's voice, and once you hear him talk on-screen, that would all be over[/spoiler]. At the very least, this would require a major structural rethink, meaning we'd probably only get the basic concept on-screen, and not the story itself. (That's admittedly par for the course for films of comics, but Button Man is Button Man, rather than mere modern-day gladiators, which have already been done a bunch of times).

QuoteCGI robot based movies, such as Transformers, suggest that it would just end up a confusing mess.
Isn't that more down to Bay's awful slam-cut/wobbly direction rather than the nature of CGI robots? (There's also the issue of design, with the Transformers all looking too similar, especially many of the Decepticons, which more or less became stupid cannon fodder that forgot they could fly in one of the films. "Hey, let's walk slowly towards the humans rather than flying and bombing them from the air!" Yeah, great plan. Idiots.)

BUT! Robots and realness and personality? How about WALL•E? It can be done.

CrazyFoxMachine

How good would a Dante series be?!

Oh, wait it already happened. In something they call a comic. I love comics, the ultimate medium.

;)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 September, 2013, 11:55:14 AM
But much of the twist...

I'd argue that that this is less of a problem now than it was when the comic was released, what with the rise of SMS, mobile email and AIM. I almost never speak to people on the phone now.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Recrewt

To start with, I'll be honest - it has been a few years since I last read Button Man but as I recall doesn't a lot of conversation take place over the phone - a simple bit of 'phone distortion' would solve the voice issue.  Plus, lets be honest, not everyone's voice is unique - sure we could probably all pick out someone like Morgan Freeman but a less noticeable voice would not be an issue.

CGI Robots - yeah, there is a lot more wrong with Transformers but its a good example of CGI in a 'real-world' situation.  I love Wall-E but that's an example of cartoon like CGI (which is where CGI is really excelling at the moment).  I would have thought an ABC movie would be more like the Transformers setup (real world and CGI mix) and thus you start getting the same issues with the CGI looking 'real' or acting in a 'real-world' fashion.  For example - its OK creating a CGI 3D model of a troll, and I know trolls are not real - but if they were, is it likeley they would have bones made out of rubber?  Probably not - most other lifeforms have solid bones so perhaps that Troll shoudln't be able to twist 720 degrees or have his back bend in that way?  This is what was wrong with the Transformers CGI - basically they are metal objects yet some of the things they can do defy physics.  I am easy going with a movie but things like that tend to jolt you out of the experience.

Frank

Quote from: Recrewt on 04 September, 2013, 01:41:08 PM
a simple bit of 'phone distortion' would solve the voice issue.  Plus, lets be honest, not everyone's voice is unique - sure we could probably all pick out someone like Morgan Freeman but a less noticeable voice would not be an issue.

Take the From Hell route, and give the villain an accomplice to obfuscate his identity. The Doc's receptionist phones in all his instructions, and the audience doesn't see her (or hear her distinctive voice) in connection with the shrink part of the narrative until near the end of the story, when she pops in to say she's off home and the penny drops for the audience. Jim's text/facebook idea works fine too, though.

sheridan

"With its Victorian setting" - I think you'll find Defoe is set in 1669, or thereabouts...

Pop Culture Bandit

Quote from: sheridan on 04 September, 2013, 08:08:05 PM
"With its Victorian setting" - I think you'll find Defoe is set in 1669, or thereabouts...

Good catch - thanks for that. I'll amend it...

...nothing to see here!  :-[

credo

Can I go with the following:

Flesh, because Flesh.
Cradlegrave (E4, BBC3, 3-4 parts)
Nemesis Bk 1
Savage Bks 1 - 3 (BBC, 3 series; got to have the perfect Bill though)
Ro-Busters: Terror-Meks (because Pacific Rim meets Ken Loach is a great movie pitch).
Sell the FutureShock stories as concepts for Doctor Who episodes.

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

sheridan

I can't imagine how Nemesis would make it on the big screen (or small screen), but I still like the music video:
http://youtu.be/6bMM61Y5CEU
(Shriekback - Nemesis)

malak brood

Could we not do Requiem for a Heavyweight?  Hear me out on this one,  We could get a series of contestants normally lined up for an extreme makeover programme to be the cast, film it in a council tower block somewhere in the grim north keeping production costs low whilst giving a sensible impression of life in a megablock. Think about it, each contestant with a trainer, performance enhancing appetite enhancers, feeding tubes, it would be a massively enhanced version of Man v Food.  Think about the nations obsession with Masterchef, the great british bake off, come dine with me, Hells Kitchen, they would love it! a surefire hit....this one has legs (or at the very least a belly wheel)   :lol:

pictsy

I am glad to see that Craddlegrave has already been suggested.  I think the short self contained series' would generally translate better to cinema than the long running series.  With that in mind, my suggestion would be Rain Dogs.

Theblazeuk

I think in practicality, things like Flesh are more of a longshot. Look at Primeval, barely on its legs and that was set in the normal world rather than the prehistoric (for most of the time anywho). The grisly nature of 2000AD will mean even budgets at that level would be hard to come by. Plus beyond "Raaaargh one-eye devour" it's not got the legs for a TV arc I think. Though I am prejudiced by my lack of exposure to it I suppose.

My pick:

1) Button Man
2) Stone Island
3) 10 Seconders
4) Caballistics, Inc
5) + Absalom - spin off show already eh....
6) Fiends of the Eastern Front
7) Invasion
8) Kingdom (as an animation)
9) Stickleback
10) Zenith! Only last as I believe there are some legal complications there.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 03 September, 2013, 06:53:38 PM
Had Devlin Waugh or Indigo Prime ever run rgularly he would be on the A-list for sure.

interestingly Devlin Waugh had one of the longest runs of any modern(-ish) story in the Prog, some 26 consecutive weeks I believe (that Yeowell is a demon!), and he also had about 40 episodes in the Meg over a four year period IIRC (too lazy to check Barney, do it yourselves).  If any strip has come close to the kind of residency we've been talking about in the 'Not enjoying the Prog' thread, it's Devlin.

Still waiting for the continuation of that excellent 'Young Devlin' story in the Meg, mind!

But yes, prime movie or HBO material.