Main Menu

West Coast Meg: Old continuity error?

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 10 October, 2013, 09:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombo

There's also Uranium City up in Alaska and the map in Shamballa suggests that Honolulu is a going concern.  Whether they could be classed as Mega Cities isn't known.

edit:  Ninja'd by Temponaut

TordelBack

It's supposedly anything over 10 million in modern day terms, but probably has a higher threshold in the future, where I suspect mega-city in the MC-1 mode is more synonymous with megalopolis or super-connurbation.   

How big is Uranium City, as recently seen in 'Survivors'?  Is Canadia a city or a region?  I never get the impression they count as mega-cities. 

EDIT: Gah!

Fragminion

What about the story where Judge Death destroyed Las Vegas? Or was that a part of MC2?

credo

Quote from: Fragminion on 10 October, 2013, 06:36:04 PM
How many MegaCities  are/were there in the United States?  Can MC1 still be considered a "Mega City" ?

The old post-Judgement Day map also features Seattle and Chicago, but the red lettering suggests that these may be larger mutant enclaves (and Seattle was probably only mentioned for some 90s kudos, since it's never actually featured in the strip).

There was also a judge system in place in Las Vegas in the Cursed Earth, but that might have been quietly forgotten about over the years.

One point to note is that Texas City may well be the largest Mega City in North America now. Would be an interesting story to see them lord it over the yankees!

Steve Green

Mega-cities aren't what they were.

A bit like WMD can now be pressure cooker bombs.

Dark Jimbo

We've had a crack at this Mega City speculation before in this thread (with maps!) -

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=35624.0
@jamesfeistdraws

Recrewt

Interesting stuff.  As they said in the other thread - its difficult to be precise with some of the details due to the artistic licence that has gone on over the years.  Not a problem really but you know what has always bugged me a bit?  The Cursed Earth.  Great name, as a kid I got the concept straight away - nuclear desert, contaminants in the air and such - basically don't go there.  Only to see this over years get eroded so I now see it as a cross between little house on the prairie and a nature reserve.  And you can't seem to keep MC1 residents/judges out of the bloomin place!!
[/rant]

TordelBack

Las Vegas lasted long enough for Judge Death to nuke it in 2126.

The Adventurer

QuoteLas Vegas lasted long enough for Judge Death to nuke it in 2126.

The Trashcan Man would be proud.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteOnly to see this over years get eroded so I now see it as a cross between little house on the prairie and a nature reserve.  And you can't seem to keep MC1 residents/judges out of the bloomin place!!

I hear you.  What happened to the Old Testament nightmare that Pat Mills cooked up?  Shattered pieces of the old US, populated by insane survivors.
We had a hint of it in Origins, with its firestorms and cut-off slavery-based societies, but most of the time, it's nice little townships and not-all-that-unpleasant countryside. 
Frankly, I'd MUCH prefer to live there than MC1 these days.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Modern Panther

the whole continent is ripe for development by a new generation of Helltrekers desperate to escape the post-DoC despair. The redevelopment of MC2, the Mutant Townships (those must have a fairly decent population by now), Luna 2, Gore City...

Rather than rebuilt MC1 as it was, wouldn't it make more sense for the authorities to make a land grab, establishing outposts across the country,  especially since other nations have already shown an interest in the North American wilderness?

Trout

Hang on. That map means I live in Mega City One. Noooooooooo...