Main Menu

Do you listen to music whilst reading?

Started by pictsy, 11 November, 2013, 04:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Do you listen to music whilst reading and if so what is the best reading music?

I used to put some music on whilst reading but in more recent years I much prefer reading in total silence.  I think as I've been getting older I have begun to appreciate quiet a lot more.

COMMANDO FORCES

judda fett

Total silence for me too or the quiet carriage of a train.

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Jim_Campbell

I can read news, forums, Facebook and the like with music on. Most kinds of music interfere with prose fiction, though, because the prose will have a rhythm and a meter that music disrupts...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

von Boom

I prefer silence, but as long as it's something quiet and not aggressive then I don't mind too much.

CrazyFoxMachine

Sometimes, sometimes not. Depends on the music depends on the thing. When I was at uni, for example, I found I had to read very dry reference materials in complete silence and sometimes out loud just to force it into my mind. Also script editing I'd prefer to do in silence but an unfussy instrumental can help things along. BUT THAT'S FEDORA-CORE FOR YOU.

I think a more interesting question is "do you listen to music whilst drawing/writing?" because that can really change things. My partner is writing a fantasy epic and she's always listening to STIRRING ORCHESTRAL METAL to get her sense of majesty in place.

Recrewt

Yeah, generally I don't as it will often just distract to the point where I have to turn it off.

Reminds me of my school days where a mate showed me his homework that had some Nirvana lyrics in the middle.  That is what was playing in the background and he hadn't realised til the next day what he had done.  :lol:

pictsy

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 11 November, 2013, 06:00:37 PM
"do you listen to music whilst drawing/writing?"

Yes, but I find it doesn't effect what I am doing.  Sometimes the music runs out and I carry on in silence, but I like to have some sound on in the background.

Lately I've just playing what albums I have of a particular group/artist, all stacked up so I don't have to arse about having to find something each time an album finishes.  Thankfully, gmusicbrowser remembers my playlist and where in the song I paused it.  That's a lovely piece of software, that.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 11 November, 2013, 06:00:37 PM
I think a more interesting question is "do you listen to music whilst drawing/writing?" because that can really change things.

Almost never. I'm quite happy with silence most of the time. Although I listened to the Army of Darkness soundtrack while doing much of this month's entry for the art comp - you'll see why when I post it!  ;)
@jamesfeistdraws

Fungus

Quote from: Recrewt on 11 November, 2013, 06:03:19 PM
Reminds me of my school days where a mate showed me his homework that had some Nirvana lyrics in the middle.  That is what was playing in the background and he hadn't realised til the next day what he had done.  :lol:

Yeah, I've done that. Handed something in for English at school and the word 'sport' appeared mid-sentence. Watching football had interfered with my brainbox. Still find it hard to believe people benefit from background music. Reckon they just manage to tune it out - something I can't do.

As said, art and music can and do mix. Just seems to suit the task.

Bobblehead

It depends what mood im in,I usually prefer silence but thats hard to come by these days,with my daughter staying over more frequently (shes nearly 4 so just either wants to jump on my back whilst reading or watch Scooby Doo,so peace and quiet isnt an option). She wasnt there last night but as im now more used to noise whilst reading I felt I had to put something on so listened to Amon Amarth on my kindle whilst reading Preacher Book 8. Didnt detract at all from the book :)

Proteus4

No no no no no no no

Oh mama Mia mama Mia

Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

pictsy

I am actually surprised more people don't listen to music whilst reading.

I'm currently listening to Kick Against the Pricks by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and it instantly brought back memories of reading Soul Music by Terry Pratchett whilst listening to the album.  I also read loads of Rogue Trooper listening to No Need to Argue by The Cranberries.  That last one is a weird one because the album makes me very melancholic but there is always a hint of classic Rogue accompanying it.

shaolin_monkey

I generally don't listen to music while I read, but that's usually because of situation/environment. I generally read in the canteen on my lunch break, on train journeys (can't read on a bus - makes me sick), or last thing at night in bed.

I do listen to stuff while drawing, but it's so rare that I draw. My efforts lately (design for my sister, a birthday card, Bert Shakespeare, and the advent calendar thingy) is probably the most I've drawn in one block for decades. I'm really out of practice. I listened to two podcasts while I drew recently, which is something I almost never do. I don't usually have time to listen to podcasts, but found drawing recently was just that perfect moment.