Main Menu

Classic Stories and Hidden Gems

Started by pictsy, 03 November, 2014, 01:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 06 November, 2014, 09:15:06 PM
...does this leave Wolfie Smith as the longest unreprinted story out there?

Junior, fetch me muh best barrel scraper...

glassstanley

MACH One. A phone-book 'complete' edition, including the MACH Zero storylines is needed here. There was a limited reprint in 2 editions of EE, but a new complete edition would be welcome to replace this.

First time a major character is killed off, some bizarre Pat Mills scripts, and some fantastic artwork in the final stories. Even some Bolland covers. It was also the most popular strip for the first few months.

Fungus

Quote from: glassstanley on 06 November, 2014, 02:50:23 PM
Heh, I copied Alan Moore's Future Shocks at school.

Still not sold on Revere. I don't mind having to work at a story (prefer to, sometimes), but I seem to recall that Revere was the last thing that Smith wrote while on LSD, and it does show.

It's probably  that I struggle more with Simon Harrison's art than Smith's writing...

Agreeing with much of this.
Only adjustment was that a mate did the Alan Moore plagiarising (that "there was a knock at the door" last panel one) and it must have been a slow day because the teacher read the story in front of the class. I called him out on it afterwards. Delicious).

Meanwhile, reading Revere in old progs recently, neither the art nor story did anything for me. Could be the only thing of Smith I have got along with is New Statesmen. I loved that strip...

Skullmo

Quote from: Fungus on 07 November, 2014, 02:55:14 PM
Quote from: glassstanley on 06 November, 2014, 02:50:23 PM
Heh, I copied Alan Moore's Future Shocks at school.

Still not sold on Revere. I don't mind having to work at a story (prefer to, sometimes), but I seem to recall that Revere was the last thing that Smith wrote while on LSD, and it does show.

It's probably  that I struggle more with Simon Harrison's art than Smith's writing...

Agreeing with much of this.
Only adjustment was that a mate did the Alan Moore plagiarising (that "there was a knock at the door" last panel one) and it must have been a slow day because the teacher read the story in front of the class. I called him out on it afterwards. Delicious).

I ripped that story off at school as well. I got a C for it. Not a good reflection on Mr Moore!
It's a joke. I was joking.

JayzusB.Christ

My mate, whose house I am currently in, somehow made America into a school essay, though without the futuristic parts.  The mind boggles.  I am about to quiz him on it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Jacqusie

I always thought that Danzigs Inferno was a great 2 part hidden gem that could have been made into a series...

...from the warped minds of John Smith & Sean Phillips...  ;)

shaolin_monkey

Blimewy, I was always ripping off comics and sci-fi for my school essays. 

I can't remember if this was in 200AD or Eagle, but there was a short story about a guy who lived in future polluted London who was chosen for a time travel experiment.  It was successful, and he was flung back in time.  However, the air was so clean and fresh his body went into shock and he immediately died.  I can't remember the grade I got for that.

I also shortened an already short story about a guy who accidentally goes down too many escalators while reading a book.  He tries and experiement and keeps going down to see how deep it goes.  It was a weird story as it was (does anyone know the name of it?  Would love to read it again) and my teacher thought it was even weirder in my essay book.

Jon

Heh. I'd never thought about any of this, but I now recall, um, modifying House of Daemon (Eagle) for a school story. Unfortunately, so did my friend, so I don't suppose we fooled anyone.

moly

I used mean areana in an essay and got an A for it best result I ever got

Jacqusie

I nicked Swifty's Return when he used that party invite to travel around time thang...

...My English teacher wasn't impressed I recall...

::)

pictsy

I feel strangely out of place for writing original stories at school.  One won a prize.  I got a nice pen.  I was chuffed to bits :D