Main Menu

Shift Comic - new UK anthology

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 September, 2020, 02:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well issue 10 has finally landed and with it the end of volume 10. This issue does kinda sum up the first volume perfectly. Its been beset by delays, but given the circumstance in which its launched that's hardly surprising. They also seem to have loads of side project, which is great for all concerned I'm sure but hope its not at the cost of the core comic which briefly found its 5 weekly stride.

Apparently the idea with the 5 weeks is there will be 10 issues a year and after each it will start a new volume.

Also this issue really flags the other problem the comic has faced. It opened so strongly as each original series finished its struggled to find a replacement as good. So by far the weakest strips here are Crucible, which I'm barely trying with anymore and the bonus 'flipside' story Croix-noire. The latter is actually pretty terrible and even Mike Collins art can't save it. The dialogue is so hocky. Its like reading one of those 90s 2000ad hard man heroes, but this one thinks their cute, funny and charming as well as a tough nut and they just come across as cliche and annoying!

So moving the remaining opening strip remain very strong. To the Death has another blistering action packed episode. Soulwind is wonderfully mischievous and enigmatic in how Poke escapes. Shifter is driving forward with fun body swaps and starting to show its hand.

Saddly the best thing is of course Kora which has just been a delight, just wonderful stuff and the ending its bitter sweet in more ways than one. Its just a fantastic ending and this series as a whole has been simply brilliant. Happy it feels so satisfying and complete at the end. Sad that its not going to return.

So volume 1 ends. I'll be back for sure for volume 2 and just hope they can find strips of the quality to keep that one going. I've read Elephantmen and while its a good series i did rather tire of it after a while and its all a bit cheesecake. Still we'll see what else comes with it and judge when it lands.

Colin YNWA

Goosegash

I had a notification that the long delayed Winter Special (now renamed the 2022 Yearbook) is finally shipping, excellent news :)

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I've still not received the 'Winter Special/ Yearbook" after backing it on Kickstarter when it launched last year, and there's no sign of #10 in my local WHS. All of which is a shame, because I really loved the first nine issues, and I'd be disappointed if it became yet another comic I have to order online. It's just not the same as picking it up in the shop.

I'm hoping the special turns up in the post soon- the various reasons for the delays have run a bit thin these last few months- and #10 appears when I'm next in town.

I tend to go with my gut on these things, and my great enthusiasm for Shift has fizzled a bit, it has to be said. Let's hope it gets rekindled with whatever we see next.

SBT

Goosegash

See post above, I'm led to believe it is now on it's way. It is a bit off-putting that they had it for sale on the website without indicating it wasn't ready to be sent out, I had to email them to find out what was going on and they explained it had been held back due to one of the creators dealing with some family issues.

I should add I also picked up #10 today from the Smiths, so it is definitely out there.

Colin YNWA

Word is all of the Specials are on the way. Fingers crossed they land soon. I'd be super disappointed if as a Kickstart backer I got it after it hit the shops. I mean I'd get over it in an hour or so, but for a bit I'd be super pissed.

rogue69

They said  pm the 19th that the Kickstarters will start arriving next week and that the special should be in the shops  on the 1st March

Goosegash

Another strong issue. Kora comes to a pretty definitive conclusion and I'm looking forward to re-reading this all from the start. Crucible...carries on, and that's about all I can say for that. Really enjoying To The Death and it seems to've reached a peak of twisty-turniness at the moment, really compelling stuff. Intrigued to find out what this new Liam Sharpe strip is going to be all about.

As for the preview strip...um, well that was something I guess. I wonder if there's a single cyberpunk/future noir trope that won't be touched on in this. I don't have any time for Quantick these days and based on this I probably wouldn't bother tracking down his novella. It reminds me of something that might've seen print in CLINT ('member CLINT?), the kind of thing that gets written (or ghostwritten) by some media personality who doesn't really have any experience in sci-fi or comics but decides they want to have a go, and the results are predictably mediocre.

I also spent the whole time thinking "Surely not that Mike Batt? The Wombles guy?" And it only bloody is him! It's bizarre, he doesn't appear to have a single non-musical writing credit to his name so I can't even fathom how he came to be involved in adapting this.

Oh hang on, I just turned the page and now I get it. It's some kind of media cross-promotion thing and there's also a game that looks from the advert like a Cyberpunk 2077 knock-off with 2003 graphics that apparently no-one is talking about or playing because I can't find a thing about it online. The website address just leads to a password login and the game itself appears to be some shitty free-to-play Roblox scam. This is really weird, the whole thing.

Oh and there's also a tie-in concept album which I'm guessing Batt is behind, which might explain how is name is attached.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Goosegash on 24 February, 2022, 09:15:00 AM
I also spent the whole time thinking "Surely not that Mike Batt? The Wombles guy?" And it only bloody is him! It's bizarre, he doesn't appear to have a single non-musical writing credit to his name so I can't even fathom how he came to be involved in adapting this.

Wow that is bizarre and completely missed and if I'm honest I didn't realise he was still alive (terrible thing to say I know!). I know Maike Batt has had his fingers in many pies over the years so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised but thinks for the catch on that one - very interesting.

Also got an update last nigth saying all the Kickstarter Specials have been posted 9assumign you completed your survey. So fingers crossed those will be landing soon.

Bad City Blue

My favourite Mike Batt trivia is that the theme to shitty TV quiz "Big Break" is by him. It's "the Snooker Song" from his musical adaptation of "The Hunting Of The Snark", sung by Captain Sensible.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

My copy of the Yearbook only bloody arrived! And yes, my gut is eased because it looks (and smells) fantastic. Can't wait to get stuck in.

No sign of #10 in my local WHS yet though. I did, however, order the Empire special.

SBT

Colin YNWA

Year book finally here. Not had the chance to open it yet, but it's here at least.

Colin YNWA

Opened, but not read yet. I will note however looks really good BUT the slightly petroleum smell I enjoy so much on the regular issue is slightly overcooked here and actually has gone as far as to smell a bit like meths... well actually a lot like meths. i worry if I smell it too much I might go blind.

Tomwe

Which edition did people get? I ordered the HC, but didn't get surveyed for my address as I could see so only sent them my address the other day. Hoping for the Kitson cover, not sure which was on the Hc.

Colin YNWA

I got the regular edition with the Langley cover. Not sure I had a choice on the tier I got?