Main Menu

Clint Langley or Glenn Fabry - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 23

Started by Colin YNWA, 02 June, 2021, 06:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Glenn 4, Clint 1.  Clint is amazing but Sláine the King was some of the prog's best ever art.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Glenn then, Clint now?

Fabry's Sláine was a revelation, at least by the time we'd reached Tomb of Grimnismal, and still that first run of The King, with Niamh, "Megrim" and all the personalities of the Sessair was like nothing we'd ever seen before. In a strip defined by the most magnificent variety of art, it remains breathtaking.

Unfortunately, I feel his incredible detail led Sláine down a specific path just as much as Bisley's paints did, so that in the post-Horned God era we were tied to ever more elaborate, exquisite densely-worked art (its apotheosis being his own Demon Killer), a standard that slowed the strip down to a visual pace that would have seemed impossible when McMahon and Bellardinelli were breezing along at the easel.

I don't like his Dredd much, and beyond that, there's not a massive amount for the HoT, although I've enjoyed his recent short stuff.

Langley has a similar obsession with hyper detail, and while I've disliked an unhealthy proportion of his stuff, so much of it is absolutely sublime, and brother there is a hell of a lot of it. I like him best when he hasan ink pen in his hand, and his ABC Warriors/RoBusters, Sexy Ostriches, Books of Invasions and particularly Lord of Misrule are all extraordinary. The less said about my thoughts on Flesh and some of his later Sláine the better, but I'm really looking forward to his work on Joe Pineapples.

It's a hard call for me, but I think Sláine's inauguration episode carries the day, even against the amazing world of colour that Books of Invasions created.

So Glenn 3, Clint 2.

milstar

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Colin YNWA

Almost done here. Just today and then I'll count up in the morning. So any last votes get um in before tomorrow morning (first thing).

For me this one is tough. If it was just based on Slaine work that it would be Glenn Fabry all the way as I enjoyed his work on that series so much more than Clint Langley's BUT then Clint's work on ABC Warriors is absolutely outstanding. Overall though I think the decision boils down to the fact that Clint's work has to have a strip that suits his style for me while Glenn's os strong regardless and on that basis.

Clint Langley 2 : Glenn Fabry 3

AlexF

Ooh just time to vote then?
I think on the balance of variety I'm edging Langley's way - on Slaine alone I favour Fabry but those first coupe of Volgan Wars were proper WOWWOWOW.

Langley 3, Fabry 2

paddykafka

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well damn this one was close. For such a long time the admiration for Clint Langley had him consistantly just ahead but a good late fun save Glenn Fabry justr sneak it. This was really was close to a tie.

Overall its a result that Classic Team really needed. Just a couple of votes the other way and Current Team would have opened their lead even further. As it is with results elsewhere possible going in their favour Classic Team are closing the gap looking likely to close it further and possibly entirely.

Current Team 12.5 : Classic Team 10.5

Current Team 1052 : Classic Team 1089*