Main Menu

Winner of the Bolt-01 Cup and Favourite Strontium Dog and Dave Evans

Started by Colin YNWA, 23 October, 2021, 07:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So there we have it, after 3 months and Tharg knows how many votes and ties we have a winner and  THE KILLING has been voted the Board's favourite Strontium Dog story. And what a magnificent champion it is, well deserving of its prize.

But I want to stop for a second and take this right back to why I did this one now, while before it had been buried in a long list of tourney's to get to and that is of course Bolt-01, Dave Evans a simply wonderful man who we have lost.

That makes me sad and I miss Dave. I have no idea if he'd have liked the weaving path I wove with this silly tourney as I tried my best to mark the fun, wit and wisdom he brought to this place. I have no idea if this is a fitting tribute, but it's best I could come up with, to spend some time talking about a strip that meant so much to him.

I deliberately made it ridiculously complex (well I'm not sure what my options were!) as it represented that life is just the same. That we don't always understand what is going on, but if we reach out and talk to those around us we can find an answer, and hopefully it's the answer we need.... or at least an answer to just give us enough to carry on to the next thing.

Dave loved this place, that much I do know, or at least he told me several times. And so talking about the things he loved, in the place he loved was the best I had to offer. Let's keep doing that here and make this place one great tribute to Dave, who gave us so much.

Let's keep talking about something, and nothing. But let's keep talking to each other.

I miss you Bolt-01. I miss you Dave.

Trooper McFad

Nothing more to add but thanks and well done on this tourney and your tribute.
👍🏻👍🏻
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Buttonman

Nice words Colin and a fun distraction. Best panel next? 'Cos I hate you' vs 'Who's gonna mess with us?' for the final?

Dark Jimbo

We're much the poorer for his loss, but thus was a great tribute, Colin. You know he'd have voted in every round.

Thanks Colin. Miss you, Dave.
@jamesfeistdraws

AlexF

Thanks Colin for an inspired tribute idea, seen through with extreme passion!
And alos thanks for helping identify what is, objectively now, the greatest single Strontium Dog story. I had been wondering.

Barrington Boots

I didn't pick this as a possible winner at the start!
It's been a lot of fun, this - gave me an excuse to reread the entirety of SD as we went along, expound the merits of some of my most beloved stories and see the merits of tales I didn't rate so highly brought to the fore so I could see them in a new light. It's really, really brought home my love for Strontium Dog.

Some lovely words there about Bolt Colin, and a lovely tribute. Do we know what Dave's favourite SD story was?

Thanks Colin, for all of this!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

Quote from: Buttonman on 23 October, 2021, 10:00:49 AM
Nice words Colin and a fun distraction. Best panel next? 'Cos I hate you' vs 'Who's gonna mess with us?' for the final?

"Oh my heartses!"

Timothy

Quote from: sheridan on 25 October, 2021, 10:56:20 AM

"Oh my heartses!"

Gis thae chips.

sheridan

Quote from: Timothy on 25 October, 2021, 12:41:30 PM

"Oh my heartses!"

Gis thae chips.

That bit where the Torso from Newcastle says something witty and insightful, but nobody sees it and they get killed shortly after.

Rogue Judge

Great contest Colin, thanks again for running it! Although some of the votes were near impossible, this was the funnest tourney yet. I'm happy for The Killing, a top 3 SD thrill for me anyhow.

Dozens of threads dedicated to Strontium Dog and lots of great conversations about Johnny, Wulf, Carlos etc. A great tribute to Bolt, I think.

blackmocco

"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

I, Cosh

Well done Colin. That dedication to Dave is lovely.

A very surprising winner but one that I do love.

I got a bit lost with this early on. Mostly because I actually can't remember a lot of the shorter stories and didn't have access to them. Last weekend I almost broke by back carting the box with all SD Agency Files back from Scotland along with a new copy of the Starlord Years. A belated reread coming up in the next few weeks.

Quote from: Timothy on 25 October, 2021, 12:41:30 PM
Nice words Colin and a fun distraction. Best panel next?
'Cos I hate you' vs 'Who's gonna mess with us?' for the final?
"Oh my heartses!"
Gis thae chips.
"Yer breeks is mince, pal!"
We never really die.