Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

Oblivion- quite fun, mystery sci fi with Tom Cruise as bicycle repair man I meant drone repair guy. Convoluted story but some fun sequences and shots and great design. Almost anime looking in parts. Alas plot holes loom like a big destroyed moon, but I still enjoyed it. Andrea Riseborough as a red head was worth the price anyway. ::)
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

pictsy

Seven Psychopaths - I enjoyed it thoroughly but it was a bit too much of a boy's flick for me.  I appreciated that it was self aware even in that aspect when the script writer character is told he can't write women.  Well structured, interesting and a great cast.

radiator

I loved In Bruges, but got put off Seven Psychopaths when I heard the premise. [spoiler]Self-referential films about films[/spoiler] don't appeal to me at all.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The Achievers is a documentary about Big Lebowski fans that I stumbled upon on netflix. I love this kind of movie, like Trekkies or the Dungeon Masters, movies that explore eccentric wee sub-cultures. The movie focuses on a Big Lebowski convention  in Las Vegas. Highlights include a costume competition with entrants basing their costumes on throwaway lines like "I am the walrus", "The queen in her damned undies" and "That camel-fucker out in Iraq", and also an appearance by Jeff Bridges, who is, let's say, tired and emotional.

Overall they seemed like a great buncha lads. They interview several members of the online forum that set up the original convention (which was just White Russians and bowling), and while they all enjoyed the conventions, they were more proud of their wee community.

Overall, my lasting impression is: The dude abides
You may quote me on that.

pictsy

Quote from: radiator on 06 September, 2013, 01:53:27 PM
I loved In Bruges, but got put off Seven Psychopaths when I heard the premise. [spoiler]Self-referential films about films[/spoiler] don't appeal to me at all.

I was equally put off by the premise when I first came across it.  One of the IMDB reviews convinced me to give it a go. 

Frank

Quote from: pictsy on 06 September, 2013, 01:36:04 PM
Seven Psychopaths - I enjoyed it thoroughly but it was a bit too much of a boy's flick for me.  I appreciated that it was self aware even in that aspect when the script writer character is told he can't write women.  Well structured, interesting and a great cast.

I saw it about a month ago, and can't remember anything about it except [spoiler]the scene in the hospital when the killers come for Walken's wife[/spoiler]. I suppose Sam Rockwell was fun too, but it was one of those films which was over long before it actually finished.

JudgeE1M1RT

Watched Donnie Darko last night. Brilliant film, such a great story.

pictsy

Quote from: JudgeE1M1RT on 06 September, 2013, 08:00:17 PM
Watched Donnie Darko last night. Brilliant film, such a great story.

Theatrical release or director's cut?

Ghost MacRoth

''Detention of the Dead''

I do like a good zombie flick.  Unfortunately, this was not one.  I can see the writers now, pitching the idea.  ''It's like, 'the breakfast club' but with zombies!'.  Utter drivel.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Charlie boy

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 06 September, 2013, 08:48:26 PM
''Detention of the Dead''
I can see the writers now, pitching the idea.  ''It's like, 'the breakfast club' but with zombies!'. 
If you were trying to sell this film to me, you have succeeded.

Ghost MacRoth

I'll apologise in advance for causing you to waste the hour and a half or thereabouts it takes to watch this guff.  :-[
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Charlie boy

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 06 September, 2013, 09:51:44 PM
I'll apologise in advance for causing you to waste the hour and a half or thereabouts it takes to watch this guff.  :-[
Just priced it up on Amazon and thought "I'm not willing to pay the best part of a tenner for this..."
Cover disappointed me. About to make myself look foolish here but after reading your review, I had pictured zombies in detention. Not sure how that would have went but if that was the plot, I probably would have risked a little money on seeing it.

pictsy

Quote from: Charlie boy on 06 September, 2013, 09:55:46 PM
Just priced it up on Amazon and thought "I'm not willing to pay the best part of a tenner for this..."
Cover disappointed me. About to make myself look foolish here but after reading your review, I had pictured zombies in detention. Not sure how that would have went but if that was the plot, I probably would have risked a little money on seeing it.

If you like the idea of Zombie POV films then 'Colin' and 'Deadheads' would be ones to look into.

Ghost MacRoth

It literally is like someone took all the elements of 'The breakfast club' and just said, hey, stick in some zombies while they are in detention!  So we then have a half dozen kids trapped in the high school, surrounded by badly made up zombies.  They even ripped off the scene where they all sit around 'getting to know each other' and Brian (the geek) confesses he was planning to kill himself, I mean, just so blatantly ripped off!  And the 'humour' element of it......good lord I've laughed more watching Michael McIntyre. Which is absolutely not at all.  Not even a snigger.

Hawkmumbler

Pain and Gain is the biggest loud of balls but I loved it!