Main Menu

Prog 1851 The Red Road

Started by Tjm86, 21 September, 2013, 11:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheldipez

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 27 September, 2013, 10:21:25 AM
Quote from: sheldipez on 26 September, 2013, 08:34:56 PM
what's with all the bloom pumped up to 11 on nearly every panel and I don't understand what happened in the fight with the black guy and the dude with the beard - one panel he's got him by the head then the last panel the tramp is gone and the other guy is missing his coat. Did he teleport him away? Is that what the lighting thing is behind him? Because it looks the same as the flame effect that tramp was using before, did he get burned with the guys coat?

Err [spoiler]Joe Nowhere is missing his coat because it got set on fire when he was dodging tramp guy Walter. He had him by the head and he breaks his neck, which is rather obscured by the huge bright spotlight in the top of the panel. Then he walks away leaving Walters body and his burning coat on the
pyre, saying "If it's any consolation you weren't the first, and you won't be the last"[/spoiler]

I'm hoping that they tone down all the shinyness once they leave this carnival/festival setting but as the apartment scenes have their fair bit of future-bloom, it's probably going to persist. Not loving the artwork here that much myself to be honest but it has its moments (I liked the stuff from the last series myself, love Simon Davis artwork).

Cheers! Feels like a few in between panels have gone MIA so I found that hard to understand what went down (looking at it again - it's still not clear cut to me).

Proudhuff

you know what? I'm quitely chuffed we have a black main character on the cover and nobody gives a sneck, there is hope.
DDT did a job on me

Dragonfly

We have already had a black main character on the cover in the form of Blackhawk, progs 137, 142 and 149, back in 1979/1980. Perhaps others as well during my absence from the prog!

hippynumber1

Giant, Prog 68, Dave Gibbons art!

Mike Carroll

Not a main character, as such, but a very prominent non-Causasian cover figure was the woman from the Supercover story, prog 34...

-- Mike

Proudhuff

more to the point did your prog make it?
DDT did a job on me

Mike Carroll

Quote from: Proudhuff on 27 September, 2013, 03:45:55 PM
more to the point did your prog make it?

The contributor's copies arrived on Wednesday - still no sign of my subscriptions copy!

-- Mike

hippynumber1

Is there any difference between the two?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 27 September, 2013, 04:27:24 PM

He could tell you, but then he'd have to kill you.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IronGraham

I also haven't gotten my subscription copy yet i've contacted 2000AD not sure if should buy copy from smiths tomorrow or not
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 September, 2013, 05:21:17 PM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 27 September, 2013, 04:27:24 PM

He could tell you, but then he'd have to kill you.

Cheers!

Jim
The contributors copy has Matt's Thargs true mug on the interior. Thats horrifying!  :o

Pop Culture Bandit

Dredd - Enjoying the dynamic between the Judges and I suspect there may be some misdirection in making us think Joyce will fail, with Pax possibly failing instead? Love the Undercity as a location, so this should be a fun adventure!

Brass Sun - Love it. It's rare for me to be immersed in the characters and story so quickly, especially when I've missed earlier stories, but I am really enjoying the mood to this series, due to the steampunk elements and Inj Culbard's ace artwork!

Flesh - Bit more confusing than last week, again relying on prior knowledge of the last series (and potentially the original series from 1977) - at face value, it's okay, but it might get tough to follow the more it relies on obscure plot points of the past.

Damnation Station - Nice bit of intrigue with Joe Nowhere and some foreshadowing of the future. I'm surprised that Walter got dispatched so quickly, but the story is progressing nicely.

Aquila - Being unfamiliar with this strip, I was surprised with how conventional it appears - there's a slight mystical angle, but largely it seems to be a very historical strip, in no way do I mean that as a criticism. I liked the sidekick and the creepy Caesar sniffing bad breath sequence!

For a more detailed review, check out my blog here > http://popculturebandit.blogspot.com/2013/09/2000ad-prog-1851.html

Zarjazzer

Solid prog again nice work on the Dredd story and the last panel is fab with the new mutie army, Brass Sun very good and Flesh was fine but a bit confusing over the panel direction flow, Aquila was a good set up as and Damnation Station my fave with a character being knocked off already and threats of the "bigger bad" on the way.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Spikes

A good 'n' solid prog this week. Still not sure about Damnation Station, but all the rest its cooking on gas.

Nice cover this week, i thought. And coming after a few consectutive ones that failed to grab.
Dredd is grand stuff again. But, even after all these years, im still thrown by panels showing the old skyscrapers under MC1...  :-\

Brass Sun is a joy, again. Plenty of action, and a wee bit of gore. Those 'red eyed devils', for the wont of a better name, are singularly creepy.

Flesh continues in prime old skool fashion. That double splash page is a just superb.
Again with Damnation Station, its maybe to soon to judge. Not totally sure about the art.....