Main Menu

Need to be 18 or over to purchase the Prog in WH Smiths

Started by Anzati, 10 March, 2016, 02:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anzati

Today I purchased the Prog from WH Smiths in Huntingdon, using the self service till, as I do almost every week. However the routine was slightly different today as when I scanned the barcode a message popped up saying approval was needed...apparently the Prog is age restricted and you need to be over 18 to buy it! Never had this happen before and I assume it was some database quirk...but I just wondered if anyone else had encountered this?

Steve Green

It'll be that Pete Wells pop-up centre spread that made it through before being pulped.

amines2058

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Steve Green

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

The last Meg is definitely top shelf material - more F's and C's than the last forum get together!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

JayzusB.Christ

Got to admit, I'm surprised the prog gets away without a 'not for sale to children' tag, what with the nudity, violence, graphic sex, swearing, gae bolgas through the nether regions and whatnot. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Grugz

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

AlexF

I'm super glad that 2000AD / the Meg is still unsuitable for children; just hope there are still some child readers young enough to appreciate the subversiveness. It does seem as if it's way to easy to get sight of unholy sex and violence outside of 2000AD these days. I can't help but think that one huge secret of its early success was being able to replicate the tone of famous 18-rated films that 8-year-olds really wouldn;t have been able to see in 1977.

Richard

I want 2000 AD to be subversive, in the sense to opening children's eyes to political and religious opinions they differ to the ones they were brought up with, anti-heroes, cynicism and that sort of thing. What I don't want is for 2000 AD to have swear words in it so that parents ban their kids from reading them. Swearing is fine in the Meg (I really didn't agree with those letters in the latest issue deploring bad language while pretending not to mind it really). But while 2000 AD may mostly be read by adults these days, we'll all die one day (well not all on one day but you know what I mean), and so the comic can only survive if it continues to gain new readers from the generations below us. So it has to be accessible to them. It's no use us complaining that WH Smith keeps hiding them on the high shelves if the newsagent can just open one at a random page and point to a shit and a fuck.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard on 14 March, 2016, 03:05:58 PM
But while 2000 AD may mostly be read by adults these days, we'll all die one day (well not all on one day but you know what I mean), and so the comic can only survive if it continues to gain new readers from the generations below us. So it has to be accessible to them.

This. Absolutely, a hundred times, this.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

It always seems unnecessary when the Prog contains adult material (I give the Meg a little more leeway).
There's absolutely no need for any swearing in the prog - that's why they invented Drokk and Stomm. There's even less need for graphic sex/nudity (actually nudity doesn't bother me greatly) and allusions to sexual violence are totally unacceptable in my opinion. The prog should be edgy but still just about on the right side of suitability for a 10 year old.

Grugz

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html